1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets look to spend big in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I wonder what caliber of players Morey has in mind. Josh Smith anyone??

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's exactly right. Jonathan can write whatever the Houston Chronicle will let him write. :)-

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Perhaps it's a matter of Jonathan Feigan, upon hearing about the Clippers rumor, going to ask the Rockets front office what they plan on doing to compete with that possibility.

But yes, the one scenario that worries me is if Clippers traded Jordan and Bledsoe for KG and Doc, plus maybe Pierce in either a trade or after a buyout, then a Griffin for Dwight deal would make perfect sense for all parties involved.

#63 Carl Herrera, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  4. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

You mustve hated scola

5. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

There's only one basketball. I foresee bickering on offense with this team. Defensively, they would be able to stop any team.

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

that would be the worst trade ever, why would we settle for another mediocre lineup like that? with that lineup we'll just get eliminated in the first round of the playoffs and end up in this same spot next season.

the time is now to go after stars. like the article says, we're going for more experienced players instead of young rookies.

with that being said, lin will be gone, but i doubt we will deal parsons off, he's too valuable at this point for what we pay him, brooks might be going too

7. rocketsrule1995

sound good if its possible id do that ill like blake and jordan in this offense

8. choujie

choujie Member

Based on tracking record, I won't believe it until it happens.

9. albuster

albuster Member

I am not a Les hater by any stretch of the imagination. I don't even know him personally. But I previously called for him selling the team. The article was all good talk, but this kind of talk has been going on for years with all that pursuit of the superstar, etc. The real question is, at this point, realistically, where are the Rockets now? One and done. I am longing for the championship days, those exciting times, and I don't see that happening in the foreseeable future. This is just me, but don't count the chicks before the eggs are hatched.

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If Paul and Howard both signed this board would really go into a frenzy. People that don't post anymore would start reappearing. Chaos reigns

11. Raven

Raven Member

Of course that's what it is. The Rockets want Dwight to understand that they won't shred payroll after they sign him, that "the core" will be protected.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is one of the most interesting off-seasons in a long, long time. So many teams are right on the cusp of being contenders with one piece here or there needing to be added, and there's basically a war of attrition going on between NBA front offices right now as to who can market themselves better. It's going to be interesting to see who comes out on top in all of this. I hate that the two LA teams literally just fall back on their location as an end-all be-all in these arguments. They have to work half as hard as the rest of the NBA in attracting star talent, and it's all due to the constant cow-towing by David Stern. The Clippers especially annoy me since they have one of the absolute worst human beings on the planet as an owner, and a team full of floppers and a-holes (and if that slestack guy is any representation of their fanbase, they don't seem any better).

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

We could flip Asik for someone better than overrated Reddick.

14. haydenfisher342

Id say keep Asik. Asik > Jordan there must be a way.

lin
    harden
    parsons
    griff
    Asik

nom noms. But no way LA lets Griff go!

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Nice piece but seeing is believing and I haven't seen Alexander trying to surround Yao with the most that was out there to help him. As stated in the article, we only have been in the luxury tax one time in 15 possible seasons - and ask: Where was the big spending when you had Yao & Tracy, should've gone all out on that one. Instead we ended with about 5-7 guys who wouldn't even be considered by other teams in those old ass Knicks and white guys who could either only shoot threes or hustle. So no, I'm sorry, nice try and Dwight might buy it but that's where it ends. We need more than just a big two or three to win and beat Miami so hope Leslie puts his money where his mouth is.

1 person likes this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Umm, we would be getting a star. Blake Griffin. Who fits a position of need and is 24 years old. We would also be getting a player to replace Asik, as well as multiple picks from Portland. It is an absolute steal of a trade for Houston.

I agree.

If you can dump Lin, then we can keep Asik, but no one is going to take Lin.

17. larry cook

larry cook Member

screw Paul, get Dwight...

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

If your goal is to make money whilst losing for draft picks, how valuable would Lin be to that equation?

19. basketballholic

Extracting Rondo from Boston and helping Boston rebuild is the key to getting both Paul and Howard here IF Morey wants to team them up with Harden. We have the pieces to help Boston rebuild on the fly by trading Rondo, to bring them back to championship competitive with the Heat while allowing Pierce, Garnett, and Doc to play out the string in Boston...and the base on which they can build for the future.

Acquiring Rondo would give us the space we need to sign Dwight outright and the one key player (Rondo) that could be traded for a couple lottery picks in the future to make room for Paul. Or he could be flipped with an expiring contract like Royce White to make it happen. Rondo may be the player that also perks the Lakers up to do a sign and trade for Dwight. They could then move Nash out to Toronto for Lowry (expiring) and another expiring. Lots of moving parts there however the bottom line is the acquisition of Rondo while placing Boston in a position to contend makes it very possible to acquire both Dwight and Paul and still have plenty of players/options left over when the deal is done.

20. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Why would anyone complain about the Rocket's attempt to get the best pg in the game? What he's been doing all his career fits perfectly within what we are trying to build. He manages his bigs well, has great court vision, is a pesky defender and is a default goto scorer when he needs to be.

Sure he flops some, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

1 person likes this.