1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets look to overhaul roster during offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3809089.html

April 21, 2006, 1:51AM
    Rockets look to overhaul roster during offseason

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

If it were all just about injuries, the Rockets could have an easy offseason. No tough decisions. No tense negotiations with agents. No lucky charms shoved into pockets at the draft lottery.

Leslie Alexander could spend his time shuttling between Comets games and the Hamptons. Jeff Van Gundy could hang out at Astros games. Carroll Dawson could teach Daryl Morey how to hit a fade to the green.

Instead, when Alexander and Van Gundy had their meeting on Wednesday, they likely found that they see the direction of the team the same way.

"If anybody is to comment on the meeting, it should be Les," Van Gundy said after their meeting. "It's always good when you get a chance to get direct communication with your owner."

Alexander has emphasized what the Rockets can be when healthy. Van Gundy has pointed out what is needed, even with a return to good health. But when they moved on to talks about the team itself, there would seem little doubt about what went wrong and — more to the point — what to do about it.

"If healthy, we would have qualified from the playoffs and I think would have been a tough out," Van Gundy said. "But there's a long way from being a tough out and being championship caliber. This year can show us just how far away we are, which can be very motivating."

Van Gundy has offered a checklist of needs: three point guards, more depth and balanced scoring, and a power forward with shooting range. Dawson, the general manager, said Thursday he agreed with Van Gundy's assessment of the Rockets when healthy and with the wish list.

Unless the May 23 draft lottery changes the order, the Rockets will pick eighth or ninth, based on a random drawing today. They also
    have the Knicks' second-round pick, acquired in the trade that sent Maurice Taylor to New York. They don't have their second-round pick, having sent it to Milwaukee last season to acquire Mike James.

What about the 2?
    The Rockets have starters signed at every position but shooting guard, where there could be options considered worth a pick in the Rockets' likely draft position. But generally, teams use the draft to improve rosters and futures and get veterans to fill needs after a 34-48 season.

"Basically, that's true," Dawson said. "Sometimes you can draft a guy who can help you right way. It depends on how good a team you've got. You try to draft for need if it's convenient, but you take the best player."

The draft could bring guards Brandon Roy, Randy Foye, Mardy Collins and J.J. Redick and forwards Rodney Carney, Josh McRoberts, Rudy Gay, Tiago Splitter, Ronnie Brewer and Shelden Williams into the general area in which the Rockets are likely to pick.

The free-agent decisions could be even more complicated. Over the salary cap, the Rockets will have only their mid-level salary cap exception to offer. They used their lower level exception, worth $1.67 million, on Derek Anderson and won't have that to offer again until after next season.

They must decide whether to use their entire mid-level exception on one player or to split it. The top free agents would seem to be priced beyond the mid-level exception, expected to start at about $5.5 million in the first season, though they could hope that Bonzi Wells might take what would be a sizable pay cut to accept a mid-level exception. Wells, most recently with Sacramento, could be an ideal fit for the Rockets.

There are other players who could fill needs and who likely would consider mid-level exception offers or a portion of the exception. They include guards Fred Jones, Speedy Claxton, Ronald Murray, Devean George, Bobby Jackson and Jiri Welsch and forwards James Jones, Jermaine Jones, John Salmons and Qyntel Woods.

Familiar faces
    The Rockets could step back in their history to pursue Sam Cassell or recent history by trying to bring back James.

The Rockets might also have to decide whether to offer Vassilis Spanoulis, coming off an outstanding season for Greek power Panathinaikos, a portion of the mid-level exception now that his play has likely priced him out of a typical second-round contract.

Spanoulis, a second-round pick in 2004, could add depth, but getting him might cut down on spending room for other free agents.

Meanwhile, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Rafer Alston, Bob Sura, Juwan Howard, Dikembe Mutombo, Ryan Bowen (at his option), Stromile Swift, and Luther Head are under contract. The Rockets have options on Chuck Hayes and Maciej Lampe. David Wesley, Keith Bogans, Richie Frahm and Rick Brunson are unsigned.

Question of balance
    The Rockets, spending almost $12 million at power forward with Howard and Swift, could look to better balance their roster.

Van Gundy has been clear about needing more size at shooting guard than the 6-3 Head, making Wesley's return uncertain at best.

With Bowen the only signed backup at small forward, the Rockets likely will place a priority on finding more of a shooter, a quality that Van Gundy and Dawson consider a priority.

"There's going to be changes," Van Gundy said.

As the offseason began, that seemed certain — even if improved health is a good place to start.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Excellent article. You would think that since Feigen is the regular beat writer, he might have some inside scoop. So perhaps Bonzi, Cassell, and suprisingly, Mike James, are on the Rockets' shopping list. Also, maybe we can take from this they will be shopping Swift. Juwan had a healthy, workmanlike season, and I think they love his attitude, so I honestly don't think he will be the one to go.

3. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Mike James is a possibelity. albiet a minor chance, but still i believe he will be open to see what our offer will look like. his wife is a houstonian, so that might make his decision a tad easier. i truly believe had Sura stayed healthy, we would have kept james. it came down to us needing an pure PG after sura went down. in hindsight, maybe. but in reality, james could do everything alston could do and 3 folds better.

Wells is a headcase, nontheless, he could be an interesting prospect.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dissagree that wells would be a great fit because he can't shoot the 3. if JVG and CD are interested in shooting then there is no reason to bring this guy in except for improved defence and rebounding. there is a strong case for both sides but most likely he is out of our price range.

i tihnk i'd rather split the MLE in an attempt to bring more depth and address more possitions. we don't have time to fill one hole at a time.

i'm pretty sure we will draft a swing man in the first and a PG in the second. after that i'm not sure...

5. sicnarf3

sicnarf3 Member

Is Ray Allen available? A lineup of Yao, McGrady, and Allen would be unfair.

6. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

mike james is not a possiblity. he is crying for money everyday. a clone of spreewell.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yet another offseason of remaking the supporting cast.

man, i hope we get shandon anderson!!!

man, i hope we get stromile swift!!!!

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

Draft Roy (if he drops), draft a 3 point shooting PF in the second round.

Sign Vasilis with half the MLE, sign James Jones with the other half.

Sign JL3 again so JVG will have his 3 guards.

Sign Bogans or Hayes if there's any money left

PG: Alston/ Spanoulis/ JL3
    SG: Roy/ Head/ Bogans
    SF: McGrady/ Jones/ Bowen
    PF: Howard/ Stromile/ 2nd Rd Pick
    C: Ming/ Mutombo

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Pretty clear there. Out of the 9 guys under contract after this season, I'd guess...
    Untouchable:
    Yao, McGrady
    Movable if the deal is good:
    Head, Rafer, Mutombo
    Will be actively shopped
    Swift
    Will dump if possible, not necc. for value
    Howard, Bowen
    Possible buy out
    Sura

What will be interesting is we'll have a lot of roster spots to fill if we cut ties with guys like Wesley and Sura, and very few options for reloading. I'm of a mind that we need to get a full-fledged starter with the MLE this year, not split it up for a few bargin basement gambles. Hopefully the draft nets us a starter and a contributer.

I would love to see us convince NO to trade their two first rounders (12, 15) for Swift and our second or a future first. That would give us 3 picks to try and cover a few bases: a shooter (Redick), a starting SG (Roy, Carney, Brewer, other), and a banger (Armstrong, Shelden, Boone, other). Alternatively, we could grab a Marcus Williams.

Evan

10. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

I thought Mutombo is untouchable as well. Wouldn't he just retire if we tried to trade him?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

With the MLE I think I would use part of it on V-Span and then the other part on either Jermaine Jones or Speedy Claxton. Jones addresses the range shooting 4 (plus can play 3, his natural position). Claxton addresses the PG spot. V-Span addresses the PG spot as well as someone that can create his own shot and brings a pitbull mentality to the team.

So, get two quality guys with the MLE and then our 2 draft picks. 4 new guys to add to our team.

12. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

I thought this was supposed to be one of the weakest drafts ever. Why would we try to rebuild our team with lower draft picks of one of the weakest drafts. :confused:

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

They say that EVERY year. It simply isn't true.

14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No, they don't. There have been lots of drafts that were deemed strong and deep. It just so happens we're looking at two weak drafts in a row right now. (last year was pretty weak too). The 2003 and 2004 drafts were both strong.

Incidentally, I'd like to know how you could possibily think this draft isn't going to be weak. This is the first year in a decade in which there won't be eight to ten 18 years olds taken in the first round. There will be no high school talent and no european 18 year olds either. Now if you remove the eligibility of 8-10 players for one year only, how is that not going to be one of the weakest drafts in recent history?

#14 Williamson, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I doubt New Orleans would consider this. The more likely trade would probably be for us to trade down with our pick for their two first-rounders. This makes sense if all of our primary targets have already been taken. This would still give us three picks to try to cover a few bases with without giving up any future first-rounders which is important considering how strong the 2007 draft class is shaping up to be.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I hope we don't trade one of our few assets for a bunch of draft picks in a thin draft.

The only way we move Head is in a blockbuster deal for somebody like Bibby. Don't see it happening.

Mutombo ain't going nowhere. Don't see how we can trade Rafer, the only legit point guard on this team, and somehow acquire 3 point guards this offseason and improve our position at the point? It's hard enough to get a legit pass-first PG. Now we're gonna trade away the one we have for what? You may be able to send him along with Juwan and whatever to NY for Francis. Is JVG going to welcome that deal? Can't see it.

And if 3 point guards was so critical to us, why did we trade Moochie for a big stiff that couldn't even get minutes in the last game of the season, and why did we release John Lucas III and not bring him back? I know he was a rookie but he was a quicker than snot point guard with a very good handle who definitely gave us a spark.

Resign JL3 and bring over Spanoulis and 3 PG problem solved. Can we get Q. Woods or or that Jones kid with the $2 mill we will have left over after signing Spanoulis?

Then we've either got to get a player like Roy or Gay in the draft or trade Swift and something for a starting shooting guard.

We have to get a 3rd primary scorer this offseason.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I would really like to see the Rockets pickup a legit 3rd scoring option at SG. No more combo guards that can't shoot please. Guys like MoPete and Bonzi would fit the bill perfectly. I doubt Bonzi will sign for the MLE, but MoPete could be had for a package like Swift/2nd or something like that.

If we can address the SG situation before the draft, I'd like to see the Rockets take a PF like Shelden Williams or even roll the dice w/ Splitter.

My early 06-07 roster:

Alston-Spanoullis
    MoPete-Head
    TMac-Bogans (resigned for min.)
    Williams-Howard
    Yao-Deke

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

This year's draft, even more than last year, lacks players with franchise/All-Star potential. At the same time, it does seem to have a good number of guys that project to be safe bets as role players (Shane Battier/Chris Duhon/Joe Smith territory). We have two franchise cornerstones surrounded by a [Walton]deplorable[/Walton] supporting cast. We need help at every position (starting and or bench) other than center. One Adam Morrison or one Tyrus Thomas or one Rudy Gay won't take us anywhere.

A Redick coming off the bench, a Boone tag-teaming with Hayes and Howard, and a Marcus Williams shoring up the PG spot when Alston goes haywire would help us a lot. Especially if we couple them with a SG brought in with the MLE.

If we stick with the #8 or 9 and #32, Shelden Williams and a Dee Brown would help plug the leaks in our sinking ship.

This draft may not be overly strong, but even in the weakest of drafts, we'd upgrade over the junkyard parts we're using now.

Evan

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

I really don't believe we'll be drafting a PF in the 1st round unless we land one of the top 3 picks for reasons I'm too busy to state right now.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

because as pitiful as the draft class is, the free agency class is weaker.