1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]Rockets look to fill need with 25th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jun 22, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5850319.html

2. dreaming

dreaming Member

good to know that morey is looking to move up, go for joe alexander, donte green or nicholas batum if we try to move up
    if the rockets cant get a higher pick then we should target Chris Douglas-Roberts or Bill Walker

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think you missed this part?
    Hitting up ESPN's trade machine. Say the Rockets are limited to moving up by 5 spots. There doesn't appear to be many deals that can work. Even jumping higher to 17th (that's a big jump) for the dumping of TJ Ford's contract is near impossible because of his BYC status unless they do a handshake deal for 5 days later.

Limited by a move within 5 places. All I can see is either a deal with the Nets (a reach unless the Nets are looking to salary dump) or Seattle.

Battier + Jackson + Head + 25th for Richard Jefferson + 21st?

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Translation: No raw projects ala Ibaka,Ajinca. If Batum falls, we might consider him. Target players are Rush,CDR,Lee. Big Players target:possibly Hickson or Hendrix,more likely than Hibbert. Hibbert still could be Deke replacement though. Jawai less likely as a big man. Hidden player PG Mario Chalmers. (slightly taller PG than Brooks).

I might be entirely wrong but that's the way I see it. This could be a smoke screen for someone totally unexpected too.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even if the Rockets want that Rod Thorn won't do it. DM might ask for the 24th pick in exchange for the 25th pick plus Brooks if he can get the player he really wants there.

6. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

That's a dumb trade. You don't give away Battier for draft PERIOD!

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

if CDR falls to us he'd be a great pick. i've got a feeling brandon rush will be selected right before we pick.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

it sound like rush has a chance to be a late lottery pick. rockets need to hope for players like both the lopez bros and ajinca to go in the lottery for a guy like rush to fall if they're targeting him.

9. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

makes sense, but i have another translation: nobody cares about luther head or aaron brooks and so we can't move up high enough to get a player that is already good and still has lots of potential.

sucks... :(

10. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

actually, it's one of the best trade scenarios with battier i've seen on this board for a long time. it's ridiculous how many of the fans underappreciate shane (of course, it's not only him). some of them might even trade him for the 21st pick alone. :eek:

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. Article mentions 16 to 40 being fairly even. Doesn't sound like Rockets are targeting Portland's 13th pick, but he could be making smokescreen.

2. Article also mentions Joe Alexander, but he's projected to go well before 16... maybe even top 10.

3. Nick Batum may actually fall past 25. He just called off workouts after having a heart issue diagnosed (and apparently his dad died on the court with some heart problem-- his agent said it wasn't heart problem). Anyhow, that might scare teams.

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I would trade Battier for Richard Jefferson every day of the week.

That said, hasn't Jefferson had some injury probs? If so, then maybe not.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

jigga who? the "i know what Morey is thinking" attitude around these boards is a little strange. Morey himself is not quoted as saying anything close to the above in this article.

If we go by the names thrown around by the author, there are a ton of primarily potential guys in there - Batum, Alexander, Green, Speights, Jordan...

jigga what? trading Shane for a solid 20 point scorer and throwing in some crap and moving up 4 spots in the draft. What's wrong with that?

14. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

I saw this and was ecstatic that there is the possibility that he could. I personally think he will fall a few spots and hit the 20s but then will be taken in before we actually draft. But i agree he can fall because of that heart thing.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Its ridiculous how fans treat Shane like hes untouchable. So quick to pull the trigger on any trade for T-Mac, but apparently, Shane is untradeable. Shane isn't the only Rocket that plays defense and at the end of the day, TEAM defense wins you games. I'm not saying just give him up for anyone, but to get a player like Jefferson, yes you do pull the trigger.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's why we haven't gotten out of the first round. people value hustle and dirty work and not skill/talent. yes you need those type of players but you can get those players any time. any average player like those under disciplined like ours will hustle if they want to see any playing time. you think james posey was the only hustle guy on the celts (watch powe, perkins, davis...). to see playing time, that's what they had to do.

we have scola, landry, rafer, and any role player we add will do the same things.

just to add one more thing, battier's D hasn't shined in any playoff series so far where you can say he shut down somebody. like the guy said, TEAM DEFENSE wins and our team defense was top notch BEFORE he came, it will be top notch IF he leaves.

but again, he hustles and tries :rolleyes: he's a role player, that's his role if he's not expected to score and take over games. what else do you want him to do?

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't understand the Shane love either. Its like people want a team full of limited skill hustle guys. U have to have those guy, but u can't have a team full. I'd love to get jefferson, but Thorn doesn't give guys away. That's why I would revisit the outlaw and jack for battier. It helps both teams. The rox get a atheletic 3 and a bigger pg and portland get a veteran for the pups. Outlaw isn't tat bonifide 3rd guy, but he scores about 4ppg more than Shane. That would allow the rox to move Rafer and Jacson for Mo Williams. Then they could sign a guy like Barnes, Davis, or Posey.

18. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Ya but at the end of the day teams are still outscoring us... I agree with you 100% that Shane contributes more to this team than what people give him credit for, but we are still being outscored. We really only have 3 scorers(1 Yao, 1 tmac, 0.5 alston, 0.5 scola) That really isn't enough. Look at the top 5 teams in the league

Boston- Garnett, Peirce, Allen, 0.5 Rondo, 0.5 Posey- 4

Lakers- Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Fisher, 0.5 radman - 4.5

NO- paul, west, peja, 0.5 bonzi - 3.5

SA- gino, duncan, parker, 0.5 bowen, 0.5 finley/horry - 4

Utah- Boozer, williams, okur, 0.5 ak47, 0.5 brewer/milsap - 4

If Shane was offered for Richard Jefforson along with our 25th pick then I feel we should accept because in the end Richard Jefferson isn't a defensive liability he is a 20 point scorer and a good defender.

If you want that stopper then go ahead and sign Peitrus or offer the entire MLE to posey. We need that offensive burst.

19. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

it's also ridiculous that a lot of fans still don't know that shane battier is not only a good one-on-one defender (good, not great because he's limited athletically) but he's probably the best team defender of any wing player as well. so, basically, shane is your team defense.

plus, i never said shane is untouchable. the only thing i said is that you have to get something back in a trade that is worth it. creating another hole in the roster is certainly not worth it. that's what i was ranting about. if you can get richard jefferson for shane without giving up too much with him you obviously do that.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

O RLY?
    What "people"?
    Do the same "people" fail to value Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming? Who are, arguably "skill/talent" players?

How in the world did Keith Bogans, Mo Taylor, Eddie Griffin, Moochie Norris, etc. fail to perform like Battier? They all played under the disciplined Jeff Van Gundy, no?

How in the world did Gerald Green, Kirk Snyder fail to be better? Presumably, these guys wanted playing time, no?