1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets keep searching

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 22, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lock/merge/delete if needed, thanks.

From Jonathan Feigen's blog:Carmelo to New York. Half the Knicks to Denver. And the Rockets keep searching.

[rquoter]...The Rockets, having long since known they could not get Anthony, had hoped to get Nene if the Nuggets began cleaning house. Nene, like Anthony, can be a free agent, but the Nuggets could reevaluate the plan to move him. Even if they do make another move, however, late Monday the Rockets were on the outside looking in on that pursuit, too.

They almost certainly will make moves by Thursday's deadline. Daryl Morey did not seem too excited about a short-term addition of a veteran center. He had been talking to the Nuggets about some of the players involved in talks with the Knicks and Nets, but he has been talking to just about everyone.

There was an ESPN report of conversations with Boston about Shane Battier, but there does not seem to be anything in Boston available that makes sense.

Morey is still hoping to make the big, roster changing move he has known the Rockets needed since summer, and will keep chasing that at any position, rather than to just fill the need in the middle.

Nothing was close on Monday. But if things had been stalled by the wait for Anthony deal to be complete, that roadblock is out of the way now. Morey has sounded unsure what will happen by Thursday, but it still seems likely that the team that practiced Monday at The Palace will not practice together again at Toyota Center on Friday.

• • •

The most certain ramification of the deal will be the strengthened resolve of the owners to reclaim control of their players. There are enough owners of glamour-challenged teams that will demand that David Stern level their playing field before they are diminished into a feeder system for the contenders.

They used to get that by giving teams the right to offer greater contracts to their own players, but that no longer is enough. Teams that will lose stars will want more help to keep them, and there are more of those teams than there are teams in LA, New York and Miami.[/rquoter]

From his previous entry, responding to a comment/question. Question asked before 'Melo deal went through tonight

Jon,

It seems like everything is quiet right now; therefore, any guesses (player names) in what the Rockets will end up making this week?

Just a guesses, won't hold them to you, if they don't happen...

(I really can't guess. Right now, I don't think Daryl knows, though his guesses would be way better than mine, obviously. The best bet might be an Eastern Conference team looking to shed contracts. That's why the Bobcats and Wallace make some sense. The Knicks are obviously making big changes and covet Brooks. The Rockets want to do better than a project like Randolph. I still wonder about the veteran centers -- Camby, Kaman, Dalembert -- but the Rockets have other, more long-term goals. -- Jonathan)

2. Cheerio

Cheerio Member

I can't wait to see what they do by Thursday.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Thanks scoop I mean hsf09 :p I needed something solid coming from the Rockets camp. I've refreshed countless times.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

"Other, more long-term goals."

This statement has had me intrigued since I heard it during his interview on 1560, what does this mean? Is he going for a young stud to build around or does it mean he wants to shed salary for 2012?

I have been wondering about Detroit and Greg Monroe, how desperate are the Pistons to get rid of Hamilton's contract? Also, Evan Turner, Philly has a lot of young talent and need more veteran leadership, what would it take to pry that guy from their hands?

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Anyone going to be mad if nothing goes down? I'm starting to have a feeling, down deep in the pit of my stomach, nothing is going to materialize come Thursday.

6. mikol13

Supporting Member

I'm against a move for Turner. I just don't see much from him, he is pretty good all the way around but does nothing exceptional. May have been a bit overrated coming out of college with all the Brandon Roy comparisons.

I hope Morey is not putting too many eggs into 2012 either, would be a crapshoot at best.

I suspect it's young talent, who that may be I have no idea.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I've never felt this much despair as a Rockets fan, it just seems hopeless.

All the elite talent is going to a handful of teams.

Stern, you better figure something out quick.

If I don't feel there's a possibility of contention, I'm just going to stop watching. My obsession with the Rockets is irrational, but even I'm not dumb enough to root for a lost cause.

The one thing fans need is hope.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What a worthless report. happy it was posted, but worthless.

9. ThaShark316_28

lol @ quitting in disguise.

10. mikol13

Supporting Member

I'll never quit watching and I suspect you really wouldn't either, but I'm so with you on everything else. Hopefully at the very least Morey can acquire someone that shows the fans that the team's future looks bright.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He makes it sound like something will definitely happen that changes this team...like multiple players going out. There seems to be too much uncertainty to be so sure. The whole "long term plans" angle doesn't seem to make much sense, since all we hear about are veterans we're going after.

I can't wait for this to be done with.

12. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

morey... im in for wallace or prince ;)

13. thesaint

thesaint Member

I really hope Brooks is moved. He just does not fit with this team anymore and getting tired of him jacking up shots. Besides Scola, everyone is expendable imo.

14. GovernorAggie

GovernorAggie Member

I personally think that the only thing the Rockets should now be searching for is positioning the team for success in the post-New-CBA, Super-Friend-Clone teams world. Unload as much salary as possible for picks and cap relief. If things change as much as is predicted (hello $900 million reduction in salaries), being way over a new cap will not be a good place to be....but being in position to collect bought-out cap casualties may turn out to be a good place.

Maximize flexibility, draft well, and put together a team that will be good enough to contend before the rookies get NY or LA-starry eyed. Maybe some would actually stay.

3 people like this.
  15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

You know the Rockets players are thinking about this 24/7. It has been said so many times its hard to ignore. Some guys are playing their last games as a Rocket this week....stressfull.. :eek:

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Good post, this seems like the OKC model btw.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

There are only so many teams attractive enough to pick up free agents in 2012 now. Not many teams have money too because its tied up in Superteams. Maybe we should concentrate on shedding alot of cash for 2012 Free agency and land one of these guys? The other teams that would have money are not more attractive than Houston and there are only so many players one or two teams could sign. We might get lucky and have one guy there that falls to us to sign because we have max money left. Then suppose before that time? We draft some young guys that turn out great or trade for some? Thats one way to go about it.

18. mikol13

Supporting Member

Good post.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uS2RplmdmUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Rebuild, I agree but just doesn't seem like Morey is willing to go this route.