1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets' Hill ready to showcase his skills this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox_fan_here, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7100210.html

Rockets' Hill ready to showcase his skills this summer
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    July 8, 2010, 9:52PM
    Mayra Beltran Chronicle
    Jordan Hill will head to Las Vegas to work on his skills in the summer league.

Share Del.icio.usDiggTwitterYahoo! BuzzFacebookStumbleUponEmail Close [X]Jordan Hill jabbed a step toward the lane then turned back quickly to the baseline. With a slight pump fake, he had Chas McFarland off balance, then jumped through a McFarland hit as he rose to a soft jump shot that swished as the whistle blared.

Hours earlier, the Rockets had learned that Chris Bosh — the player they had been chasing in free agency - had picked the Miami Heat. Hill's strong move, even his encouraging play through the summer league team's two-a-days, did not soften the blow.

There was a sense, however, that Hill still could.

As the Rockets regrouped and continued to look to retool, their summer league team worked. Heading into today's summer league opener, turning Hill into an effective option as a backup center is a goal as clear as the quest for Bosh had been.

More than that, his success could be a measure of the success of much of their summer league season.

"That's a lot of it," Rockets summer league coach Elston Turner said. "We're going to have him out there. He's going to play heavy minutes. We're going to load him up with the basketball. We expect him to plug holes on defense and block shots.

"He's going to weigh heavy in the success of this summer league. What he does in the summer league is going to weigh heavily on how we think about him in the fall."

Hill, 22, already had convinced teammates he might be the answer, showing frequent flashes of the potential that made him the eighth player taken in the 2009 NBA Draft and a key part of the Rockets trade of Tracy McGrady to the Knicks. Playing an average of 16 minutes per game in the 23 games after the trade, he averaged 6.4 points on 53.2 percent shooting, and five rebounds.

"He's a phenomenal player," Rockets guard Aaron Brooks said. "That's why the Knicks drafted him (eighth) or whatever it was. He's a great player. He's working on his post game, becoming a more offensive player, not to mention he can block shots. That's the presence we need on the floor. I'll look for him to get better and help us out next year."

Hill worried that with a deal for Bosh, he might be on the move again as a part of a sign-and-trade deal with the Raptors.

"A little bit I was (worried,)" Hill said. "It's crazy. I just got here. I tried not to worry about that. It wasn't my time to think about that right now."

"I'm trying to get that out of my head right now, keep getting better, keep working. It takes hard work to be a good player. You got to keep working hard and never stop. That's what I'm doing. I feel like I can accomplish some things, help my team out in whatever way possible. I just want to go out and showcase what I can do and have my team have faith in me whenever they need me."

Hill has been among the Rockets' most frequent participants in their off-season program, mixing in work with Rockets advisor Carroll Dawson with his routine with the team's player development staff, Brett Gunning and Shawn Respert.

He has worked to hone a jump hook, as Dawson has instructed Rockets big men since Hakeem Olajuwon. The turnaround jump shot on the baseline came straight from some of those sessions. Mostly, however, he said he was more confident and comfortable.

"Being a rookie last year, you just have to get your feet wet," Hill said. "Now, since I got my first year under my belt, I can calm down and know when it's time to go out there, I can relax and just play my game.

"I want to keep getting better and better, learn different things of offense and defense and take it to the floor. I'm not looking at the free agency thing on TV because I'm here. It's a really big summer for me."

It is for the Rockets, too, on several fronts. But as they search for a center to spell Yao Ming, Hill heads to Las Vegas hoping to become the one they find.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Love this kid, can't wait to see him play in the summer league.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

And we're ready to see it.

Maybe the Bosh saying no to Houston and everyone else deal was a blessing in disguise.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Young players like this need stability to learn to play. Keep him as a Rocket and we will see his potential next season after a full summer of playing and practicing with the team.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Excited to see what Hill has improved on during the Summer, should be a fun summer league.

6. AugieC

AugieC Member

Yes Love his attitude... Hopefully he will get more playing minutes to develop..

7. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

Believe guys! he has the body to be better than Bosh. Believe!

8. ezzie

ezzie Member

Hill was trying to play carch-up last year now with his rookie season over and time 2 learn RA's system he's gonna explode and show every1 why he was picked 8th
    GO ROX

9. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

Who need Bosh? We got our own Jordan Hill.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'll be ecstatic if Hill went through a Bynum-esct transformation.

11. mi0304

mi0304 Member

I remember Landry had developed so much in sophomore year.
    Why not for Hill?

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Very hopeful that he can make the progression to becoming at least a 25 mpg, 10-7 high energy gamechanger off the bench. His potential to backup both the 4 and 5 and create mismatches with his combination of size and athleticism can't be understated. It's just a matter of how badly he wants it. Putting in this kind of effort in July is encouraging.

Evan

13. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I can tell this guy is the real deal. Remember when Dorsey finally started to learn how to use the jump hook from Dawson and there was a video of him going like 0-20. Jordan's already got the mid range shot, good rebounding, decent defence, and great athleticism. Add some low post skill and a Landry-like summer work ethic and he could easily be our poor man's Bosh for 1/20th of the price.

14. Dei

Dei Member

One thing I absolutely loved about him was how he spaced. He made shots possible because of the way the ran off the ball. That's something that very few develop over their career, it's practically a gift.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

Among our young players, Hill is definitely the most intriguing. You kind of feel like you know what you'll get with Budinger, Taylor, and Patterson, but sky is the potential for Hill. He could easily develop the way of Jermain O'Neal if given proper coaching. Or he could forever be just a backup PF/C.

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

One thing to be excited about is that Jordan Hill didn't start playing organized basketball until his junior year of high school. He made significant improvement every year at Arizona, and the program was a complete mess when he was there.

Now it sounds like he's be spending a lot of time working out and trying to improve over the summer. Combine work ethic with natural athletic ability, good things happen.

17. rocketsmetalspd

Working with Dawson can only make him better. I hope Hill gets a chance to work on his game with Dream someday.

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Jordan Hil midway through the year becomes our starting PF and averages 17ppg and we have a Big 4! Yao, Martin, Scola, Hill, along with solid role players.

19. Nero

Nero Member

Out of curiosity - we know that PPat was #6 on the Rockets board this year. But what about last year's board? Has anyone ever heard where the Rockets had Hill on their board in last year's draft? Maybe someone has already posted this, but I would actually be interested to know where the Rox had him rated before he was taken at the 8-spot.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"He's going to weigh heavy in the success of this summer league. What he does in the summer league is going to weigh heavily on how we think about him in the fall."

Many of us are already excited about Hill, but one thing he really needs, and he knows this himself, is to put on pounds of muscle. He needs to "weigh heavy," as Turner put it, in more ways than one, but without losing that quickness. Jordan can be an impact player off the bench for the Rockets this season, a more versatile Carl Landry, who can block shots, D-up, and rebound better than Carl, and still supply some offense, even if it's not an offensive game at Landry's level. At least not right away.