1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets going after Howard AND Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 9, 2013.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL this had me cracking up.

The power of internet memes in the right context. Kudos breh.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Horry33's recap of Morey's Q&A season ticket holder event from two weeks ago made it clear the Rockets were going after the top two free agents (Howard and Paul).

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=239206

It also touched on the difficulty in landing both:

Like it said in the article, we focus on Howard because we have real reason to believe he may come over. We have no clue on Paul, and so it stays a fantasy... for now. The only way to get both is if Chris Paul absolutely insisted on playing with Howard and Harden in Houston. No other choice would do. Only then do the Clippers listen and the Rockets look to create an enormous amount of room.

My two cents is Omer Asik would be relatively easy to move into pure cap space at that contract. Jeremy Lin would not be so easy.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

I agree. To take this a step further and throw in a team like the Kings with an abundance of salary cap space and a new owner that wants to put a quality team on the floor. They would jump at the opportunity to trade for Asik and Lin. I mean if you think about that team on paper they would all of a sudden have a very good young talented team to grow with.

PG:Lin
    SG:Evans
    SF:?
    PF:Cousins
    C:Asik

I

4. pass_to_Hakeem

Yeah but he is saying he doesn't want to commit to any trades yet until he knows for sure Howard is gonna sign. You trade TRob and his potential away AND Howard resigns with LA.... then you're f*%^ed!

5. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

THANK YOU!!!!! It seems like people are just looking at it from a on paper stand point. Chris Paul and James Harden will not mesh because both are ball dominant. I dont know why Houston wont go after someone who can control the team and hit that spot up 3pt shot. Arron Brooks

6. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

CP3 makes every player around him better, period.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

When I was young sports' player moves was all team directed. Free (sic) agency changed all that. It's the way of the (sports) world, so DM the GM please get me playing in June!

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

They said the same thing about Lebron and Wade. 3 straight NBA Finals appearances later even the skeptics realize when you have the opportunity to attain superstars you do it, regardless of position or skill set.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While Harden - Dwight - Paul sounds like a slam dunk if its possible, if it means no Asik or Lin plus no bench, I wonder. If it means losing Parsons as well as all the above, then I think NO.

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If Morey, an ahead of the curve GM, is willing to spend 16 mil a year on Asik and Lin (sacrificing nothing but cap room) in one offseason, you'd like to think there's another GM willing to do just that a year later.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LEBRON JAMES - DWAYNE WADE

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Am I the only one that doesn't want Paul on the team? I really think it diminishes the effect of both Harden and Paul, less money to fill out the roster etc.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Why do people think that Chris Paul and Harden wont play well together. In case, some of you didnt know, James Harden played with one of the most ball dominant, ball-hogger, chucker in the NBA, Russell Westbrook.

And if that wasnt enough, Harden also played with the NBA's three time scoring champion, Kevin Durant. Harden played just fine with those ball dominant players.

Now, if Harden can play with two of the most ball dominant players in the league, then surely he can play with CP3, who actually makes players around him better.

14. pnr

pnr Member

Harden and Westbrook could coexist, but they did play minutes apart... It could work but Harden's stats would drop off a little.

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Durant isn't that ball dominant

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

On a side note kind of, my inner child speaking... how vindicated would DM feel if he brings in both of those guys? Perhaps singlehandedly getting a CSN/ATT deal done. Singlehandedly selling out every home game within a few days. Singlehandedly making 610 sports radio look a little stupider (as tough as that is). He wouldn't stop smiling for a week. He should just fly straight to a beach somewhere and light up a joint or something. Whatever seems most out of character for him. Go live Daryl, go live.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Great... so w're goin after the immature Dwightmare and the flagrant flopper Paul... two guys that can be real malcontents and negative influences in the locker room.... I guess you've gotta go for top notch talent, I just wish either of them were more likeable and team oriented. Well, I guess that's what you get in upper level players these days - which is sad....

Ps: before people reply that this Rocket or that player flops, too... imo there is a difference between exaggerating contact and jerking your head back and falling to the floor when you were never even touched (as Paul does)... jus sayin....

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

He's not as ball dominant as Westbrook. But when you're the NBA scoring champion, of course hes going to dominate the ball.

Just look at Durant this season. After the Harden trade, Durant took a bigger role as a playmaker to make up for the lack of Harden.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

You have to go for the homerun, KO punch, at some point before its too late.

20. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Since when was being a flopper bad for the locker room? If that was the case then Harden must be messing up our locker room as we speak