1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets going after Howard AND Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 9, 2013.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Interesting off-season, many rumors in past years and we almost landed Pau this year but I sense that something big is going to happen this year. The game changer being Harden as the honey that draws in all these big names.

2. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

This would be cp3's team...... I don't know if I would want that, it would be intersting to see how it would work.

3. jocar

jocar Member

The Big 3 1/2
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Glad to know this is a real possibility and wheels are in motion.

The scenario involves:

1) waiving all non-guaranteed except Parsons, Beverley and G.Smith

2) trading T-Rob and White + $2.1m for future picks

3) sign Dwight

4) trade Lin and Asik for Paul

Line-up

Paul / Beverley
    Harden / Garcia (room exception)
    Parsons / 2nd round
    T-Jones / D-Mo / Aldemir
    Howard / G.Smith

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Also of note, this part:
    Like how David Locke predicts, a hard market for SFs, ie limited SF talent available but high demand.

Contrast that with the soft market for PGs. Lin's contract for his position is overpaid in the current market, new CBA. The Rockets best hope to trade Lin is before free agency. A salary dump is about the best case in returns.

If the Rockets look to truly exploit the trade value of Robinon's rookie contract and higher upside. They need to wait until after Howard or Paul's signature has been secured. This means it's ideal to salary dump Lin first.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yeah I also read this as Howard or Paul. Getting both would be impossible to pull off without gutting the rest of the team.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

To be honest I think Lin would work best as a 6th man off the bench. He has played terrible playing WITH Harden since both are ball-centric players. Maybe while CP3 and Harden are resting you put Lin out there, surround him with shooters off the bench and a big man that loves to run pick & roll and run to the rim and we've got a beastly bench.

That being said if we do get CP3 and Howard then Lin is most likely going to get dumped because of his inordinately large salary.

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

Interesting, why would Howard like JB Bickerstaff, is he perceived as a good big man coach?

9. conquistador#11

for hooroo of course it's ideal.

10. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Agree. But you think Lin had trouble playing with Harden because their both ball centric players then just wait till CP3 plays next to Harden. CP3 is not only ball dominant but also has a stronger personality. I think Harden will be pushed off the ball and be somewhat diminished.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think we already knew that Howard and, or Paul were going to be our main targets this off-season, so nothing new there. I'm thinking that Howard is a real possibility, while Paul is a long shot. A lineup of Harden, Parsons, Howard, Paul, and TJones would be ridiculous. And if it should somehow happen, then I think McHale would be a good coach for that group. You just need a coach that can get all the stars to get along and play ball. Rudy was good at getting players with big ego's to play together on the court, and I think McHale could do the same. It's going to be a crazy couple of months around here.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

It just seems obvious to me. I'm just not overly attached to a player like you are.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Why do you guys feel Paul+Howard would want to come here?

One of the biggest knocks on the Clippers has been their immaturity. I am 100% that is reason 1A why CP3 wants to leave.
    One of the biggest knocks on D12 returning to LA has been Kobe's dominating personality; in other words our selling point to D12 was, "Come win with the fun-loving Harden-Lin-Parsons Rockets!"

In order for CP3 to come here, the lineup suddenly becomes a lot less "fun" and a lot more like the situation he was leaving (CP3-Harden-Parsons-Jones-D12.)

Instead of teaming up with CP3, i think he would rather play in ATL with his buddy Josh Smith and Al Horford thus forming the best frontline in the NBA and a serious threat against the Heat

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Or, fellas, this is the NBA where players rule. So, force the issue and both of you come to H-Town. YOU TWO CAN GET IT DONE!

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lin had trouble but he's nowhere near the player CP3 is. You might as well say that there is no point getting LaMarcus Aldridge because Thomas Robinson or Terrence Jones struggled with the Rockets.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, I think the article is saying the exact opposite of this.

According to Feigen, the Rockets would rather KEEP Robinson if they don't ACTUALLY sign Dwight or Paul, rather than dumping him (either around the draft or in a pre-arranged deal that just isn't consummated until July) for cap space that they don't end up using on a superstar.

This may or may not be the truth, and the trade market may or may not be better for Robinson at the draft than in July, but the article's point here does not mesh with what you have been calling for (and what I have at least partially agreed is a solid strategy).

17. cw3k

cw3k Member

I understand the pursuit of Howard, he is the best big man in the league and have led his team to the NBA final, but why Paul? What he has done? Despite the depth of Clippers, they were eliminated in round 1, not to mention he did terrible. Those who complaint about Lin should look at Paul's record. At least Lin is only costing the Rox 8m instead 18m.

18. Swag

Swag Member

also if we DO end up getting both cp3 and dwight, will we be able to resign parsons later on?

19. ThaShark316_28

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!