1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets give Yao hand, end skid by beating Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mack, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

Can't believe someone hasn't posted this yet. The more I read about Yao, the more impressed I am with his dedication.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4409110.html

----------------------------------------

Rockets give Yao a hand
    Shots fall to end three-game skid without McGrady

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES - Yao Ming got his ho-hum, just another game 30-something points. But the Rockets seem able to assume that now. Even the stomach illness best left without details was not going to stop him.

If the Rockets' three-game losing streak without Tracy McGrady had demonstrated anything it was that Yao would need far more help than he has gotten. But a year to the day after he said the Los Angeles Clippers had done the best job he had seen trapping him, Yao watched that tape again and again until he found a way to set up teammates for all the open shots they could want.

All they had to do was make them. When they did, the Rockets' losing streak was over, replaced by a 108-103 win Sunday before 19,060 in Staples Center. Rockets guard Rafer Alston came back from his late-game breakdowns to have his most complete offensive game of the season, scoring a season-high 26 points (three from his career high) with eight assists and just two turnovers. Bonzi Wells had his season high with 12 points off the bench.

The Rockets as a whole finally stopped handling the ball as if demonstrating the pitfalls of microfiber, committing 10 turnovers, 12 fewer than they had averaged without McGrady.

But nearly everything began with the Clippers twisting their defense in knots around Yao and the Rockets burning them for the effort.

"I watched a lot of film of Tracy McGrady," Yao said of his proficiency burning double teams. "Actually, I watched a lot of film from last year. They double team quick and hard on the catch so I knew I had to know where my teammates were.

"My teammates today did so many great jobs, share the pressure on offense. They know when they (the Clippers) came to double team, they cut to the basketball very fast, very well, right on time. And they scored."

Yao takes over

A year ago, Yao said he "felt so crowded in the paint" that he had "to find another way." On Sunday, some of that way was his usual run through his offensive repertoire, with a mix of jump hooks, fast breaks and fadeaways. He finished with 32 points, making 12 of 18 shots, with 10 rebounds.

After the Clippers had closed to within four, Yao knocked down a fadeaway from eight feet with 63 seconds remaining. On the next possession, he swatted a Corey Maggette drive.

But that would not have gotten it done had he not triggered much of the Rockets offense.

He burned the Clippers double double-teams - usually a guard came first followed by the remaining big man - by passing either to cutters or sending the ball back outside for 3s or a series of passes to an open shooter.

"It's a make and miss league," said Alston, who made 5 of 7 second-half shots. "Some teams make down the stretch and some teams miss. We ought to get the same looks night in, night out with a dominant big man like Yao down low. We have to get ready to shoot the ball or make plays.

"We prepared. We knew they were going to come early and come hard on his catch. We had to get to spots so he could see us to deliver the ball. And he's an unselfish player."

Defense struggles again

The Rockets still gave up far more points than they had been before McGrady went out. Still first in the NBA, allowing 90.3 points per game, they have given up 100 in all four games since McGrady went out.

The Clippers, with Sam Cassell (foot inflammation) out and Tim Thomas (bruised elbow) and Quinton Ross (back spasms) departing during the game, still made 48.6 percent of their shots. They scored 32 in the fourth quarter to keep the Rockets, who had led by as much as 12 and by 11 with five minutes left, from pulling away.

After the Rockets took their 94-83 lead, the Clippers had made five consecutive shots until Yao's block. But Cuttino Mobley sank a jumper and after Luther Head made 1 of 2 free throws, Maggette finished a strong drive to cut the Rockets lead to 103-101 with 19.5 seconds left.

But Alston made two free throws, Head made one again, and Alston hit two more, completing the turnaround.

"It felt good out there for a change," Alston said. "Tonight, I felt good from the start. I knew I would have a decent game tonight."

Before then, no one could have guessed he would. But Yao did not need to see all that tape to know someone else would have to.

2. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

I'm just wondering - how many layups did we miss today? Just seemed to me following the boxscores we missed alof of layups... Is this an issue for the Rox? Esp. Chuck and Luther...

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

We blew a ton of layups. Yao probably could have had 7-8 assists if guys finished better.

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

There was one stretch where there were 3 straight blown layups by Houston. Hayes, Juwan, somebody else. Not all of them were passes by Yao though.

5. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Bonzi really steppedup in the 2nd half and regulary abused mobely. i'll take bonzi over cat anyday. bonzi is better in every aspect of the game. except shooting.

6. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Blazer Ben:

"Bonzi really steppedup in the 2nd half and regulary abused mobely. i'll take bonzi over cat anyday. bonzi is better in every aspect of the game. except shooting"

As much as I liked Cat when he played here- he was my favorite Rocket-I'm real proud of Bonzi Wells- the Bonz looks like he will be an asset after all. Good news.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yes. Cat behind yao was my boy to. but i cant deny how bonzi got the better of him. the way bonzi posted him up on numerious times was a thing of beauty. bonzi at he's awesom best is a top ten SWINGMAN IN THIS LEAGUE.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Errrr...unless you consider his best to be 23/12 (his average against the Spurs in last year's playoffs) then I have to disagree. His best numbers over a season would probably have him in the top 20 swingman. Well, maybe.

9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I caught the tail end of the game not knowing it started at 2:30 and watched the last 3 minutes. Mobley looked good out there and I ended up telling my family that it would be nice to have Mobley back in a Rockets uni. Not but 5 seconds after saying that I see Mobley underhand toss an inbound pass across the court into the stands ruining a Clippers possession, giving them a turnover and sealing a Rockets win. It was then that I remembered it was the same old Mobley doing the same old careless stuff. I respect the mans game but that one turnover near the end just seemed reminiscent of how his career was in a Rockets uni. He'll make a jumper down the stretch only to fumble or turnover the ball the following possession.

10. Hanbin

Hanbin Member

That was Maggette doing the underhand throw in.

11. awo86

awo86 Rookie

lol
    lol

12. chenglug

chenglug Contributing Member

Come on, this league has only 31 teams, if you rank him in 20s then he is an under average swingman. Top ten is where he belongs once he gets back in shape

13. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

I thought Eddie Griffin was no longer on the team.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

what are you talking about? that was maggatie..... before you rip a player make sure you know the facts... if you were watching on channel 51, they were talking about maggatie throwing the ball like a bowling ball.

15. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

Maybe they meant "Rockets give Yao Head". :confused: Luther is doing well.

:D :D :D :D

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Top 20 is way underrated. bonzi's numbers are way misleading. he has never been on a team that he was a numbe 1 or 2 or even 3 option. in portaland he was stock behind the likes of Steve smith, Sheed wallace, shawn kemp, scottie quitten, mighty mouse and so on. in memphis he was a role player off the bench. in Sacramento once he got a chance in the playoffs to score, he went off. bonzi's on talent is up there with the joe johonson's of the league. he score, rebounds, defends etc, etc.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I should add, i'm really suprised how he has yurned himself around in the last week and embraced JVG's system. i think alot of credit must be handed to Gundy for sticking to he's principle's when people were getting on he's case to activate bonzi.

18. Htown57

Htown57 Member

It's scary to think that yao spends his offseason time working out, working on moves, and watching tape. Van Gundy and Rudy T always talked a huge amount about his work ethic, but it's quotes like this that put it all into context.

Yao as a player commited to watching tape of how the Clippers successfully defended him last season. He made adjusments to that defensive style, realizing that the double teams, when they came, would be immeadiate. Instead of being contained to only 17 points, like he did last february against the clips, or turning the ball over in bunches, Yao lead the team in scoring and keyed the offense while playing a terrifyingly efficient game (66% shooting, 1 TO), shredding Mike Dunleavy's defensive gameplan. Basically, Yao outcoached Mike Dunleavy. That's a superstar quality if i've ever seen it.

Not to blaspheme by making a Hakeem comparison, but David Robinson once said of the Dream "you can't solve Hakeem," because he was too smart and too skilled. Mike Dunleavy thought he had Yao solved. he was fooled. ;)