1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets forward Landry earns coach's confidence

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jmejia, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Laurent

Laurent Member

good read, thanks for sharing.

The mid-range jump shot is really important for Houston, i like it...

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Landry is actually pretty fast for PF, but that is only because he is short and isn't very bulky. However, this does not mean he'll become a SF anytime soon, and even if Landry does develop handles, he would be a more athletic version of Bonzi Wells with a better attitude. He can hit that mid range jumper and finish around the hoop.

3. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Landry's game reminds me somewhat of Carlos Boozer's: a lot of quickness, great explosion off the first step, amazing athleticism, undersized but an excellent rebounder (especially offensive), and now with extended range.
    Maybe he'll get more of a back-to-the-basket post-up game as he progresses?

As much as I dislike Boozer, having a Boozer-esque player would be sweeet.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I too am starting to get the feeling that Landry might be in Adelman's plans as a starter. One of our big problems last year was scoring off the bench, and Luis seems to have difficulty getting his moves off with Yao in the low post, so you solve two problems at once. And Luis should welcome it becomes his numbers should take a boost. Landry would of course love to be a starter, but what it would probably mean is that his game would be relegated to offense rebounds/putbacks and shooting the open jumper. Oh wait...that's what he's ALREADY GOOD AT ANYWAYS.

I think this idea is genius.

Yao, Landry, Artest, T-Mac, and Rafer

with

Battier, Scola, Barry as the main rotation players and Brooks coming in for 10-15min a game...

That's a killer rotation if you ask me. Shouldn't be much offensive or defensive dropoff when both teams (the Rockets and our opponents) go to their second unit.

5. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

I 2nd this. He may become an allstar one day, but 1st let wait until he starts commanding a double team.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am warming up to the start Landry idea. I thought (still do) Scola was a better all-around player and therefore should be the starter. Now, if Landry's midrange jumper is reliable, then he is good for playing with Yao.

Landry doesn't need the post up game when Yao is in. Scola is a better low post player and is better suited for backing up Yao.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I agree with the start Landry idea. Landry seems to be better with the putbacks, sneaking in for an offensive rebound, and open jumpers. Perfect with a starting unit that has three bonfide scorers that can draw doubleteams.

Scola is a guy who needs the ball in his hand to be an effective scorer because he can create his own shot. Even better Scola can match up with other teams bench players and dominate. Let him work the post against second teamers drawing double teams and dishing (he is a great passer), to good shooters like Battier and Barry.

A second unit of AB, Francis, Scola, Barry and Battier could be very effective.

I wouldn't worry about Scola being unhappy with his role. He would still get plenty of minutes as backup C to Yao playing with Landry and he would be the go to option with the second team.

You have to love the depth of this team. :cool:

8. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Plus you put a sick athlete in Landry along side the slow footed Yao.

9. Layupdrill

Layupdrill Member

I think the drop off in scoring punch is actually a huge drop off between the two rotations listed here... doesn't mean that the second unit isn't good though, b/c they are.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Sounds good to me.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

There is not "second unit" in the sense of a second 5-man team. No coach will sit all the starter at the same time (unless maybe in garbage time).

Scola as a bench player would sub for both Yao and Landry.

Also, I'd rather have Artest, rather than Battier on the floor when Yao sits and Scola at the 5.

12. DaronMalakian

DaronMalakian Member

What? In fact he is a player who stands out for his movement off the ball. Scola is very smart, has more experience, better passer, fits better on the system. We're very very good with the Yao-Scola duo and Landry off the bench. So I'd keep like this.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Actually if you listened to Clyde in the pregame against the Celtics (I think it was, it might have been against the Spurs) he said that in Portland Adelman actually ran ten guys. Two full 5 man rotations into the game during the regular season.

14. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

Let s see how he does during the season.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The only NBA coach I know who consistently used a 10-man rotation was Hubie Brown. Hubie liked to have straight up backup for each position rather than have some players manning two or more spots.

Even when he did that, he never sat all five starter and put in all bench players. What typically happens, IF a coach does have a 10-man rotation (which is very rare), is that he will sub in different players at different intervals so that there are at least two or three starters on the floor.

The so-called second unit seldom play together as one unit. No coach would risk such as big drop off of talent in any extended stretches of a meaningful game.

16. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I'm just repeating what Clyde said. I have no idea if it is true, but he said it, so I posted it here :)

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

There will always be a scoring dropoff between the first and second unit, what I meant was that our second unit (of 3-4 rotation guys with a couple starters mixed in at a time) will probably murder the second units of most other teams. Think about how bad our backups were the past 3 years...

Two years ago, Hayes was our predominant starter at PF, and Juwan Howard and Luther Head were our primary men off the bench. Geez...it doesn't sound so bad until you write it, and then...man, it's just starting to sink in. Thank you so much Morey!!!!!

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Does anyone else think Scola has looked kinda bad in these preseason games?

I hate to say it, but it's almost Juwan-like. Hopefully he's just recovering from a busy summer.

19. lunaticrocket

lunaticrocket Rookie

And about 10 inches wider :)