1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: Rockets finalize 3-year deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bwarren, Jul 28, 2006.

1. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Lucas is probably the best set shooter on the team (including novak)

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

He is yet to prove it against NBA competition. I hope he is the second-coming of the Big "O," but at present he is a minor addition.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's high praise. Looking at their college stats, Lucas has some impressive percentages, but Novak's are unreal. We'll see how things shake out against NBA competition though.

The "Big O". At least go for a somewhat plausible "little man" comparison, like Isiah, or Calvin. Comparing Lucas to Robertson is kind of jarring, and stuck out at me right away.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I thought it was interesting that JVG said Lucas wasn't a very good passer (during an interview in a summer league game). I thought he did a very good job distributing the ball throughout summer league play. Anyone know what he was talking about?

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

What is JL3 deal. Strait 3 years, team or player option on 3rd, what?

I gather the deal starts at between 700-900K, but that really is the less important part.

Team option after on year 3 would be important so it can be exercised while he would be restricted if we saw him as a long term player. Once a player is unresticted as JL3 would be after year 3 (4 years total league service), in the event he was really good we have less negotiating power.

6. solid

Sorry I didn't meet your critera for a "legends" comparison, but who doesn't like a post that is "jarring?" ;) Ever heard of a place called "left field." Sometimes it is fun to go there, you should try it.

#106 solid, Jul 30, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2006
  7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I've heard some good things about this "left field" place, so maybe I will. ;)

8. xlr817

xlr817 Member

What do you expect from JVD- He's an A$$! He would rather have some 40 y.o. ex-Knick player handling & distributing the ball!

Sincerely, Mike James

;)

9. Summer Song Giver

I hope mngmt has done their homework on these unproven guys.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Are you kidding me?!?!?!

Maggette <<<<<<<<<< TMac
    Brand >>>>>>>>>>>> Battier
    Kaman <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Yao

Still more < than > in that equation no matter how you look at it.

11. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

12. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Agreed, not sure what Buttocks is smoking...

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Combined MPG:
    Rox - 106.3
    Clips - 101.6

Combined PPG:

Rox - 56.8
    Clips - 54.4

Combined RPG:

Rox - 22
    Clips - 24.9

Combined BPG:

Rox - 3.93
    Clips - 4.05

Combined SPG:

Rox - 2.93
    Clips - 2.2

Combined APG:

Rox - 8
    Clips - 5.7

Combined FG% (Everyone's attempt's and makes combined. Tmac had the worst % by far and missed a lot of games, skewing this towards the rockets favor):

Rox - 46.6%
    Clips - 51.4%

FT percentages are a wash.

In summary: the rockets starting frontcourt plays almost 5mpg more than the clips. Adjusting for the difference, the rockets are giving up 3rpg for .31ppg, 2apg, and .6spg. Wow, huge advantage for the rox! Let's not even mention that the clips get more blocks and shoot a much better % from the floor. In fact, the clips frontcourt should be scoring more than the rockets if not for Cassell shooting a high volume of the clipper's shots.

I'd give the edge to the clippers. But I guess I should be arguing in the number of > and < signs. That's much more scientific.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

If anyone thinks he's exaggerating about the Yao-Kaman comparison, consider that Mike Dunleavy was eventually forced to sit Kaman for most of the final two Houston-LA games because Yao was abusing him too much. I'm not making this up - ask anyone who watched those games. It was hilarious watching Kaman's pathetic attempts to defend (or attack) against Yao -- like a tweener against a high school bully.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Quite true but if you continue to insist on pointing out reality, folks around here will get angry at you and begin to question your "Rockets Fan" credentials...

16. two-sandwiches

Hey Solid speaking of make a shot and reality, have you seen the NBA lately?Asking NBA players to have a consistent shot is like paying Astros to hit!

We should really have a poll to see how many posters prefer ESPN highlight athletic basketball to Fundamental high IQ good shooters basketball.

New school versus Old school.

I have a feeling Van Gundy prefers the latter so some of you may never be happy with this team.

Hey LucasIII fits right into this league, he's one dimensional.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

i, for one, am very happy with the lucas signing. one of the many glaring needs that stood out to me last season was our inability to penetrate. we did not have a single player who was a consistent penetrator. not one.

in lucas, we have an undersized penetrator, yes, but a paint attacker nonetheless. complementing the lucas signing is vspan...yet another paint attacker (from all reports). adding this dimension to our halfcourt offense will pay just as large dividends, imo, as adding the long range bombers (novak, battier, carroll, et al).

18. solid

Who is carroll?

19. solid

I've noticed that. The Rockets are already in pre-season "spin" mode, still trying to overcome the draft night PR disaster. They continue to be woefully short of talent unless one of the "scrub club" takes off like a "rocket." The benches of all the playoff contenders could start for the Rockets. (Dallas, Heat, Suns, Spurs..)

20. solid

I am definitely "old school," which is why I was never a fan of Francis, too much playing to the box score and the highlight reel, style without substance.

The JVG model cannot work without consistent outside shooting, Barry, Jackson, Padgett, and even Sura gave us a glimpse of what hitting the outside shot can do. If the Rockets get consistent outside shooting, TMac and Ming will eat teams alive.