1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: Rockets finalize 3-year deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bwarren, Jul 28, 2006.

1. ymc

ymc Member

Good signing but not really a big deal

Yao/Mutombo
    Battier/Howard/Hayes
    T-Mac/Novak/Bowen (IR)
    Snyder/Head/V-Span
    Alston/JL3/Sura (IR)

Roster almost complete. Need one more person to sit on the IR. :)

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It has more to do with Clutch reinstituting open registration than anything else. If it was open like this during the summer we traded for Mcgrady, this place might have shut down due to the weight of new members.

3. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Why is it free now? Although I'm relatively new, the wave of uninformed posters is somewhat agitating.

4. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Hey I'm new also, and the word I would use is Tsunami!

5. blackistan

blackistan Member

Damn we wasted all our money like we had any to begin with

6. Nero

Nero Member

See what I mean?

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Great news! If Rafer can succeed in the league as at least a rotational PG, then JLIII has a shot at that or better(starting). Quickness, good court vision, and a decent shot ought to get him a spot on someone's roster somewhere for a while. Add to it the fact that the rules favor quick guys like him now, and he has all the skills(except for size) to be a decent PG. I hope it works out for him...and the rest of the team!

8. Champ06

Champ06 Member

It is not matter of Chris Paul's defense or a knock on JLIII. It all about the coach and JVG going on record about players' height.

Yep, I hope you are right because I really like JLIII.

9. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

But JVG also on the record expressed he really likes JLIII. Hey, maybe JVG can let JLIII to guard Chris Paul when Rox faces Hornets :D

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

From CD's comments in the Chron it appears like a strait 3 year deal at just over the min.

But isn't JL3 credited with 1 year of service for last year and won't he be an unrestricted free agent after the end of the contract????

If this is the case I would have rather payed a little more upfront (year 1 and year 2 of a 2 year deal) to make him restricted when he comes off.

#90 Desert Scar, Jul 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2006
  11. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Big difference between Stro and Alston. Stro played at 50% almost all the time. Rafer at least tries and hustles and gives his all. He also is smart and grasped a great deal of the schemes long before Stro did.

All in all, no way Lucas surpasses Alston on the depth chart. Lucas is quicker than Rafer, and even so, not significantly quicker. Alston's a better shooter, passer and controls a team better.

12. munco

munco Member

Battier won't be starting at PF.

13. GTO

GTO Member

Really?

14. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Lucas is already a better shooter than Alston ever has been. Alston's best shooting year was a few seasons ago and even then, it was barely average, and his shooting has gone down steadily over that time span.

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Now, if we gave up #8 and stro for Lucas I'd probably commit suicide..
    and if we signed Battier to a 3 year deal for only part of our MLE I'd be happy as hell! :rolleyes:

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

A 3 year contract for a backup PG is somewhat surprising but if JL3 keeps on improving and isn't overpayed I think it will be ok.
    Getting a trade for the sake of change won't help and I think CD might be looking to improve the team by making one but I feel the last spot might go to a veteran shooter like Frahm who would come cheap.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I hope were bringing Farham back. i like his entery passes to yao. not to mention his Primeter shooting.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

thoguht it was a 2 year deal

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

You know it is a subpar offseason when the signing JLIII is the number one running thread. This kid was a ten day contract last year. I am yet to see him even make a shot. The fans are so desperate that ripples seem like tidal waves.

20. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Agreed. I'm a big Frahm fan and he would be a stable third guard.