1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: Rockets finalize 3-year deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bwarren, Jul 28, 2006.

1. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

would not suprise me if he becomes as good. even with the best point guard defenders on him, he will still be too fast and smart.

2. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Guess you are day dreaming too :D But yes, really wish that can become true...

3. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Provided JLIII is given enough minutes to prove himself. Still remember who the Rockets coach? Eh? What his name? ;)

4. dfwrox

How is Chris Paul's defense? Since that's the main knock on JLIII...

5. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

Its a good signing but he needs to continue to develop...If he can improve his shot, I think he will be a nice addition....we still need a little help at PF and back up center..and we need one more excellent 3 point shooter!!

6. xomox

my thinking in this matter is that it would not be difficult to outplay alston. it may take 2 or 3 months, but if rybo can beat out stro, than JLIII can beat out alston.

7. opticon

opticon Member

With so many young new faces in the backcourt now. Somebody who is not in there 30s should get some signifigant playing time. Knowing jvg it will be who plays with the most defensive intensity.

That being said I see alot time going to Snyder and vspan in the backcourt.

8. MisterWu

MisterWu Member

Hmmm...I haven't seen JL3 play yet, but I think having him start over Alston much less be the next Chris Paul is a little unrealistic. JL3, hopefully, will be a solid 10-15 minute player who can make some shots, run the offense, and change up the tempo.

As for future moves, I still can't figure out why everyone wants to trade Head so badly? I know he's small for the 2 and can't quite handle the 1, but he's a nice combo guard to have off the bench. He can shoot, works hard, and should still get better. I'd be happy if any of our rookies had the impact he had last year.

In any case, there's no doubt that there's value in a Head and TE package.

Am I crazy to think that Howard, given less minutes, is fairly solid? I mean, he can hit the mid-range shot and with Battier, Hayes, and Novak, he won't play as much.

9. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

misterWu welcome aboard.

You can't package a player with the TE.

see you about the place.

10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

You are not crazy, Howard can be solid for 15-20 minutes a game this season I believe. My biggest concern in the paint is if Yao is injured or in foul trouble, right now we would be in BIG trouble at the 5...

Our last pickup should be a solid backup at the 4-5...and if we use Head/TE for said pickup that would give another young guy like Carroll a shot in camp. :)

Even with our young backcourt, I think we can pull 55 wins this year if healthy.

11. Rocketmike

Rocketmike Member

Lol I couldn't disagree more. Brand and Yao are about even... because nobody can guard either one... and while Brand is a better defender in a man on man situation... I don't think anybody alters shots the way Yao does. Also they have different responsibilities...... As for Tmac... he is better than any of the two of the three combined. Kaman, is underrated... but certainly not star or allstar quality... they have one great player... and two solid players
    the rockets have 2 great players and an average-above average player... to me that trumps 1 great and two above average

Mike.

12. xomox

Hmmm...I haven't seen JL3 play yet, but I think having him start over Alston much less be the next Chris Paul is a little unrealistic. JL3, hopefully, will be a solid 10-15 minute player who can make some shots, run the offense, and change up the tempo.

no more unrealistic than thinking rudy gay is the next tmac. :p

13. dfwrox

While I know this is unrealistic... But please can someone comment on how good Chris Paul is on his defense? I don't expect JLIII to be as good as Chris Paul on offense, he just needs to be dependable. But on the defensive end? can someone please compare them? Since I haven't seen either of them play, just stats etc.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, you can, as long as you are trading for one player and their salary does not exceed $4.3 million.

15. basketballfan95

It doesn't matter if the fans think our offseason is complete but do the rockets have that mentality? I hope not....sure they got Battier but at a high price...kirk snyder might not work out....and do they really think that the signings of novak JL3 and VSPAN are going to help the team be legit title contenders....????
    Hopefully they can use that TE to their adv. considering their MLE is pretty much used up on signing rookies and summer camp prospects.....

16. Nero

Nero Member

Well, one thing is for darn sure.

For some reason, no matter whether or not this offseason is a 'good' one or a bad one or an average one, it has definitely attracted more noobs this year than ever before, at least since Yao was drafted.

Not to knock noobs or anything, because everyone was one once, but sheesh, can some of you guys at least read a little bit, and have at least a rudimentary understanding of what you are talking about before you go throwing your opinions all over the place?

Man, the offseason gets longer every year, doesn't it?

17. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Funny how people get all giddy about signing a 3rd sting point guard who will barely see the court, yet complain about acquiring Battier who is a 40 MMP proven starter in the league.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The excitement over the signing of a journeyman has got to pump me up.

19. seth66

seth66 Member

becos of the the price we paid and the upside...
    battier is a pretty gd and proven player but i wouldnt say he still has much upside to develop...

I truly believe Lcuas has much upside...and actually A.I. is just 3 cm taller than him and they got the same weight... I m projecting Lcuas to replace Alston soon in the future... ;)

20. dfwrox

The complaint was never about if Battier is a good player. On one hand is what price Rox paid to get Battier, and the one factor is all the confusion how Battier can fit into Rox rotation.