1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: Rockets finalize 3-year deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bwarren, Jul 28, 2006.

1. aamir

aamir Member

Team's go deeper than the starting five.

And I'm still not too comfortable with the thought of Battier at PF... nor working with Battier/T-Mac at the 2 and 3 if Battier was relocated...

2. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I'm not sure what Dawson meant by saying that he was a project and that's why they wanted him for 3 years. Rockets are going to need him to contribute pretty soon. If Andre Barrett can play big minutes, I'm sure Lucas could be a solid backup.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking.

4. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

This is good, more youth.

5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I think he meant it may take JL3 a while to develop into an impact player, so the Rox don't want to spend their resources developing him and then have him leave after 2 years via free agency. This way we have him for cheap for 3 years. :)

6. ty185

ty185 Member

well, the fact that rox gave him a slightly higher first year salary pretty much means that the third year is a team option.

otherwise, rox could just offer the same salary as the other team, just for 3 years, and JLIII will surely sign with rox.

the slightly higher salary should be the "compensation" for the team option there.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Excellent. I'm excited to have JLIII with us. Last season he was, well not exactly great, but at least he can score unlike some guys on our team *ah-hem*Flyin' Ryan*ah-hum*. From being an old, plodding team last season to a young, faster (I'm assuming that a guy who is 23 is faster than a guy who is 35), and got better. Bob Sura coming back would be a great bonus. Now with PF..........

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Wonderful move. Nice to see the Rox getting young talent.

9. rocketsmetalspd

PF will now be addressed. I believe this youth movement by the Rockets will pay off in the long run. JHO may be in the trade CD will make, I just hope it is just JHO for another PF.

10. Zach Kang

Zach Kang Member

Great!! I love this kid he reminds me a lot about myself.... :D

11. Danbury

Danbury Member

I don't get it. Why does everyone think our backcourt is set? I'd be surprised to see Lucas play any significant minutes this year, and the other guys we added (Snyder, Spanoulis) are hardly impressive. One or all of them could be a pleasant surprise, but I don't think we should expect much from this backcourt. TMac playing the 2 changes things, but still I'm just not excited about this team. More moves are definitely needed.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Maggette, Brand, Kaman combo should definitely get a higher nod than the rockets.

As for signing Lucas, I don't know what to think. Dawson wanted athleticism (Lucas, Snyder, Vspan), outside shooting (Novak, Battier), and youth (all the guys we brought in besides Battier). Sure, he accomplished all three goals but I don't think we've improved much unless some of our rookies blow away all our expectations.

I'd like to get a real PF. It might just be in the cards because I think Head is as good as gone.

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Yes, along with the least established backcourt in the NBA.

I don't think we can assume a team option. JL3 might have just preferred the 2 year deal if that was the case.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uh, no to the former and how can Head get a real PF?

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I meant a rotational PF, not a good one. Think Nick Collison level.

EDIT: Elton Brand is better than Yao. Barely, but he is. They can both score like madmen, but Brand's defense is better. Kaman may be inconsistent offensively, but his help defense and rebounding isn't. Not to mention that he routinely guards the better frontcourt player instead of Brand (Kaman is even the primary defender on Dirk and Bosh). Maggette will give you 20ppg easily and gets the opposing frontcourt in foul trouble fast.

Statistically they're better. Defensively they're better. The only question is Maggette's health. But they are easily the most productive frontcourt in the NBA.

#35 MrButtocks, Jul 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i really like this move and signing him for 3 years dipping into what was left of the mle.

i am glad that the front office didnt try to use the full mle on a single player after mike james signed with the wolves. now we have "killbill" novak and jl3 to show for it. if all three develop into good chemistry role players for this team then its great news for us since we would have bird rights for all three.

so how much is left of the mle? i would venture to guess no more than 1.8 million which may get us a older limited skill set pf (see lorezen wright)

but i think the next move will involve the TE and who knows then maybe a trade but its hard to see who they would trade outside of howard and head.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

A packige of head and the TE can fetch is a descent PF. we still have the TE right?

18. rserina

rserina Member

Well, we have Howard and Hayes off the bench at the four, so that doesn't sound so bad.

And of course you don't like Battier at the four or the three, because only Rudy Gay can make us a better team.

19. rserina

rserina Member

Are you serious? Brand had a great season, but he cannot take over a game by himself like McGrady or Yao. And Battier at either the three or the four is a better role player than Kaman and, while his statistics are not as good as Maggette's he has a better all-around game.

20. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member