1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets facing a taxing decision

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LongTimeFan, Aug 15, 2005.

1. micah1j

micah1j Member

I'm sorry but you don't understand the CBA. The Rockets could not pay him more than the LLE (1.67M) per the CBA. Memphis used their MLE.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

krocket, I think it is fine when people don't understand the CBA and ask questions. I think there are very few people who understand all of it (I don't understand all of it either). But it is a little strange when someone talks as if they know it all, and it is really wrong.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. I was going to explain to Krocket how ridiculous his statements are and that they completely disregard NBA regulations, but it looks like it's already been done many times now.

Seriously though, it's absolutely fine to be unfamiliar with NBA rules and regulations as far as contracts, cap and luxury tax are concerned. It's obviously boring to most fans. However, if you have absolutely no idea of how things work, just ask. No one will think less of you for needing to have it explained. We all do sometimes. But when you stand up on a soap box and preach to us like you know what you're talking about, you only end up making yourself look foolish.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Post like this make me proud to visit this board daily! When, people are humane, and being a troll isn't a requirement. Keep it up Rocket FANS!!!!!!

5. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

You are quite likely right in that conclusion and your other points are well taken also. Part of my problem is just frustration. Other teams in the NBA seem to be able to pull off trades willy-nilly and we can't. My understanding of the rules may indeed be faulty, but why do we end up with 20 million dollars worth of people that are no use at all?

I don't think what we have on the perimeter is good enough to get us deep into playoffs and unless we pull off a trade I don't see that situation changing. People seem to think we would have beat Dallas if we had't lost JHo, maybe but mabe not. Our back court got run through, over, and around. And they are only a year older.

6. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

New Jersey is not a city ;)

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am willing to be corrected by a cap expert, but I don't believe that cutting any of those three has ANY effect on our cap room. You cut a player, he stays on your cap. The only way we can sign people is at league minimum or one LLE. I see our options as pretty limited right now.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Among others, we pulled off the TMac trade. By all recent accounts, the Rockets were the clear winners of that trade.

Trades may still happen and I hope we can pull one off that is adventageous. We have until January to swing a trade.

We end up with 20 mil of crappy players because we overpaid for marginal players. DamonS may be one of those players. For 3 mil, Stoudimire is definately good. But for 4 years at 8 mil, we'd overpay and in 2 years from now we'd all be talking about ways of dumping THAT contract.

We took them to 7 games and lost 3 of those games in the final minutes. The difference in those games were marginal.

Don't forget TMac had to guard Dirk at the 4. If we had JHow guarding Dirk, then that would have freed up TMac to pick up more of the perminiter players. That right there could have been the difference maker. This season Stro should be over the man-up on Dirk good enough.

JHow put up 10+ ppg and was turning out to be respectible on the boards. There guards were killing us but our forward play and center play was killing them...namely TMac and Yao. If we had anything better than Scott Padgett at 4, we'd have been a leg up.

9. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

The reason that the Rockets ended up with so many players that aren't worth their money, is that the Rockets traded for them. And they did it willingly.

The Rockets did some bad signings. Moochie, Taylor, Cato, etc. And these guys were given a lot of money. All because of 1 PRESEASON GAME, or a nice season.

But, then these unproductive players were taking up the cap space and player flexibility. And the problem with all of those contracts was the LENGTH!!!!

-Weatherspoon was traded for Moochie. Moochie wasn't even playing any more; for some reason, I thought that Moochies contract was 1 year longer than Weatherspoon, because of a player option. {However, I see here that Moochies contract is up this year, is that correct?} BUT, WEATHERSPOON IS PRODUCTIVE ON THE COURT.

-Baker and Moochies contracts for Taylor!!! Need we explain that trade anymore?

-Tracy McGrady and Howard for Cato, Francis, Mobley!! Oh, I don't think any sane person would have any problem with that trade; unless you aren't a Houston fan!

-Charlie Ward was actually playing decent before he got hurt last year.

-Jackson for Wesley. This was to open up the SF for Tracy McGrady.

So, in the end, Everyone of those guys that expires this year or next year was acquired by the Rockets to clear up opportunities for the future. The quicker these contracts are off the book, the faster that the Rockets can make moves, either because somebody wants to trade for an expiring contract, or the Rockets can let that player walk and get another player.

The Rockets just got Swift, McGrady in two consecutive years. You can't say the Rockets aren't doing jack. The Rockets are being progressive in the attempt to put the best team on the court. Sometimes it means sitting around on your hands until an opportuinity comes up that helps your team.

10. Nero

Nero Member

He doesn't understand the concept of 'Salary Cap' .. it's obviously a foreign idea to him.. must be a baseball fan ;)

11. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Hopefully it is Juwan Howard. I like Howard but he is getting old and still has some health concerns. His salary gets bigger every year and he will probley play only like 15 minutes a game with Stro. This could save the Rockets a lot of money in the future and present.

12. krocket

Okay, I apologize for being stupid. It happens. I don't understand capology and the luxury tax. You can quit busting my chops now. I still don't understand how the NYK can keep accepting traded contracts that have flown them past the cap and LT by a mile. Maybe someone can explain it for me.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trades are different than signings. And Isiah Thomas (and before him, Layden, et. al) is universally lauded as the village idiot- why would you want to be like them?

Are you kidding?? In the past ~15 months, only via trade...

Out:
    Francis
    Mobley
    Cato
    Jackson
    Lue
    Gaines
    Nachbar
    Piatkowski
    Wilks
    Taylor

In:
    McGrady
    Howard
    (Gaines)
    (Lue)
    Barry
    Mutombo
    Wesley
    James
    Baker
    Norris

One thing you can not accuse the Rockets management of is not making trades.

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

To be like the Knicks you only have to use the MLE each summer and make trades that take on salary. Remember how we dumped Mo-Taylor on them? Taylor was owed 3 year and like 27M. We took back Baker & Moochie which both had 2 years 16M left (combined). They took on an extra 10M or so in salary. You do that enough times over the years and your team salary looks like the Knicks.

Look at their recent deal of K. Thomas for Q Richardson. Thomas out = 3 years 22M, Q in = 5 years 38M. Add another 16M in future years.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Well summarized.

I'm hoping we drop Spoon and waive Ward or Moochie. I don't care which. Take your pick. It doesn't really matter, because the remainder will be dealt later in the season to free someone elses cap space.

Somehow I just don't see movement. Call it a hunch.

16. krocket

Salary cap is not cumulative, is it? Isn't that trade about 7m+ for 7m+ capwise?

17. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Bye bye Baker, Moochie and Ward

18. krocket

Are you saying that we can trade ourselves higher into the cap space? I already knew we couldn't just sign FA's past the cap although my posting didn't exactly reflect that knowledge specifically.

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

No, it is not cumulative. each year is counted seperately for cap purposes. I was just making it simple to show how they add salary.

20. danielf

danielf Contributing Member

Teams propel themselves higher into cap space with the MLE each year and signing existing players who need new contracts to more expensive contracts (bird rights). Trades dont normally change the current cap situation much, but they can perpetuate it.

Teams propel themselves lower into cap space basically by letting contracts expire.