1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets FA Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If it has been posted, lock it up.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2994253

Arroyo on market

Like most NBA teams, the Rockets made calls about Jazz point guard Carlos Arroyo, hoping to unchain him from Jerry Sloan's bench. Arroyo was impressive enough last season for his demotion to fourth point guard to draw interest, especially for a team willing to work out 38-year-old Rod Strickland.

The Jazz, however, became the latest team to have no interest in the Rockets' contracts. If they were to become willing to move Arroyo for a trade exception, the Rockets would have to weigh whether they would add another contract and luxury tax. But that's moot for now. More than a month before the trade deadline, the Jazz will consider offers of players more valuable than what the Rockets have to offer.

An answer in Greece?

If the Rockets wanted to move cautiously on adding a point guard, the play of Vassilis Spanoulis might be a consideration. The Rockets' second-round pick last season, Spanoulis has been a more effective scorer than expected for Maroussi Honda of the Greek A-1 league.

In consecutive games, Spanoulis hit consecutive 3-pointers, clinching a win in one game and pulling out a last-second win in the next game. He is making 53 percent of his shots overall and 37 percent of his 3s, averaging 14.6 points per game. He has not been confused for Tony Parker, but he is quick and tough and reportedly has the drive of a gym rat.

The Rockets will not hand him the keys and make plans to retire his number, but it is looking as if Spanoulis will make next season's roster.

Trade, anyone?

The best trade action comes between the All-Star break and the trade deadline, but the NBA talks trade more than ever now as future deals are set up.

Much of that January talk consists of bluffs. But the usual suspects are subjects of the talks now, with the Warriors and Raptors ready to move the older players on going-nowhere teams.

The Rockets have been interested in Clifford Robinson and Donyell Marshall since the Rudy Tomjanovich days. Marshall would still be in their sights, but the Raptors, who are not interested in taking back long contracts, particularly for players to play behind Chris Bosh, could find better deals elsewhere.

Without a first-round pick since Bostjan Nachbar, the Rockets intend to hold on to their pick this season.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Oops!

Mods, can this be moved to the GARM? Thanks!

3. aries323

aries323 Member

get Marshall here CD! he's probably worth a lot more than a middle range 1st rounder!

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

see my sig.

5. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I guess Les is still concerned about Luxury Tax huh :confused:

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) Good to see the Rockets looking at Arroyo. We might not get him, but good to see we are interested. Seems like we are offering our TE and nothing else. I wouldnt give up a 1st for him.

2) This is the first we have heard of a report on what Vassilis Spanoulis has been doing. The report is VERY encouraging! I look forward to seeing what he can do next year. Hopefully he can play on the Rockets summer league team this summer. Anyone have any idea on the height and weight of VS?

3) Glad to see the Rockets seem intent on keeping their 1st rounder. I wouldnt give it up unless I could get a Chandler type player in return. We need to add more youth; pieces to this team that will grow with Yao and Tmac.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SI Profile lists him at 6-4, 188.

For comparisons sake, Cuttino is 6-4, 215, Sura is 6-5, 200, Reggie Miller is 6-7, 195, and Gary Payton is 6-4, 180 (can that be right?). Who knows when the measurements were taken, so I'd guess he's put on a little muscle since then. If so, he has very good size for a PG.

8. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I hate arroyo. There's a reason he's fallen out of favor with Jerry Sloan. He plays more for himself than for the team. He's alright as far as talent, but he thinks he's 2nd to none.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Did you read the opening article? Toronto is not interested in taking back any long term contracts.

Pretty much rules us out of the bidding it would seem.

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

Maybe the Rockets scouts are not so bad afterall. Even more reason to KEEP their 1st round pick this season.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It's always good to get an update on Spanoulis, hopefully he can come in and play some solid minutes for us.

Also good to hear that the Rox were atleast trying to get Arroyo or Marshall, it really sucks that the Rox have nothing other teams want. :(

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Unless maybe we take Mourning off their hands in return?

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Looks like the TE is as good as gold to Le$.

14. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

If we could get Donyell Marshall in here, that would be awesome. He can run the floor, shoot from the outside and pound for pound one of the best rebounders in the league. I would definitely love to pull the trigger on that, but we need to keep our first round pick in this draft. There are alot of big men, and I think we could steal one. I would like a Wayne Simien or a Hakim Warrick. He may not be the biggest guy, but the kid can block shots, rebound and is an athletic freak. I think he's a 3 point shot away from being Shawn Marion. I think he'd be around at 14 or 15.

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i thought warrick was one of the biggest names of this draft. i'm thinking someone with his height, athleticism, and wingspan won't last long.

did y'all see that dunk by him the other day. basically just jumped flat footed from about4 or 5 feet away and just seemed to float in the air then reached his super long arms out and dunked it. you shouldn't be able to do that.

is there an nba mock draft out there yet? i assume there must be on some site considering how early people love to do things like this.

edit: who i'd love to get is salim stoudamire from arizona. the guy can fly but can also drain 3's.

edit edit: well i just googled and found one real quick and it had warrick at 16. i can't see how he'll last that long but maybe i'm crazy. i'd have no problem getting him. if he gets within a few picks we should go after him. villanueva from uconn is tall and seems to like to rebound. not sure how he'd block shots though.

#15 francis 4 prez, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  16. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

hoopshype's draft preview has Warrick in the 9 slot overall. Looking at it, there seems to be a ton of athletic PFs coming out this year. I can see why CD is trying to hold on to our 1st-rounder.

Here are some other names I see on there in terms of PFs:
    Sheldon Williams - Duke
    Chris Taft - Pittsburgh
    Andrew Bogut - Utah
    Ronny Turiaf - Gonzaga
    Johan Petro - France

#16 mogrod, Jan 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2005
  17. RocketsFAN3035

hey, not to be an over bearing prick, but Shelden Williams plays for Duke, not UNC. Sorry I'm a Dukie. Actually, I think he'd be a great addition. Though big man who blocks a ton of shots (had 9 tonite against UVA).

18. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Warrick is expected to go in the lottery. Simien is undersized at 4 but I will give him a try if we can get him in late 1st round.

I'd like to use our second round draft on Aaron Miles.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Ooops, must have just mis-read it. Thanks for correcting me.

20. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

I dont follow college basketball much, so I am surprised to see so many talented bigs coming out this year! Do you think that at least one of these 5 will last to when the rockets pick? I think that we will probably end up picking 17-20 range. Do you think these guys would last that long? Do the crappy teams rite now already have athletic bigs?