1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets eager the learn what's coming next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lancet, Jun 10, 2003.

1. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Rockets eager the learn what's coming next
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    Steve Francis, his curiosity piqued by the news that Jeff Van Gundy would soon become his coach, could not wait to find what awaited him when he went to work for the Rockets next coach. But having no choice, he instead looked ahead to this morning when he would show up for his daily workout and hear the stories that veterans trade.

Francis, in Maryland for the offseason, could likely imagine tales of grueling workouts and intense defenses. He could have wondered about the slow-down, halfcourt offenses that Van Gundy used with the Knicks, or his new coach's celebrated work ethic and intensity.

But for now, Francis knew only that things would be different. There would be a new system, a new style, and a new staff, and Francis could not quite imagine how different life with the Rockets will be.

"I don't know what to think, but if they're happy, I'm happy," Francis said. "I guess tomorrow I'll start hearing all about him. But I look forward to seeing him and finding out what his coaching is all about."

Changes will come swiftly, likely starting with Van Gundy's staff. Soon after calling with Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson, Van Gundy spoke with former Knicks star Patrick Ewing, a source with knowledge of their talks said. Ewing, an assistant with the Wizards whose contract expires this month, last week expressed interest in working for his old coach and in coaching Yao Ming.

"Patrick is definitely in play," the source said. Ewing, however, must decide whether he is ready to take on a more full-time assistant role than he had with the Wizards.

Former Knicks assistants Steve Clifford and Tom Thibodeau are expected to join Van Gundy with the Rockets. Van Gundy could keep any of the former Rockets assistants, other than Jim Boylen who took a position with the Warriors. Larry Smith has spoken with Knicks coach Don Chaney about joining his staff. Assistant coach Melvin Hunt was made a Rockets scout.

"You don't saddle anybody with your own coaches," Dawson said. "You have to give them a choice. It's hard enough to win in this league as it is. I told him that we have good coaches here, but it will be his choice. He and Patrick have talked, but he also has a lot of other coaches that he's been with. So I'm sure he'll talk to a lot of people."

But the changes will be as evident on the court as on the bench.

Van Gundy's Knicks were celebrated for their tough and disciplined defense, but also for a slow-down, halfcourt offensive style.

The Rockets made their most marked improvements defensively last season. But under Van Gundy, they will likely put far more pressure on opposing ballhandlers, and will more often double-team the ball on screens.

His plans for the Rockets' offense, however, might be more difficult to predict.

Van Gundy will likely try a more up-tempo style than he used with physical, frontcourt veterans Ewing, Anthony Mason and Larry Johnson. In the 1999 post-season, when Ewing was hurt, Van Gundy emphasized Marcus Camby's swifter playing style and road his strengths to the NBA Finals. But Van Gundy's teams, even when Camby was getting more playing time, were never high-possession offensive teams.

"Every coach brings something different to the table in the style of basketball they want to roll with," Rockets forward James Posey, who will become a free agent next month, said. "It will be interesting to see. We have a good team, a talented team, a young team with guys with good skills. We'll just have to see the style he brings. The guys on our team prefer a more up-tempo style and if we have to go halfcourt, then go halfcourt. But if we're more athletic, create a lot of energy, get up and if we can, get down the court, I think it will be to our advantage.

"But we'll have to see if that is what he'll want us to do."

2. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i agree on posey saying they are good up-tempo team. they are really athletic. but they have to learn to share the ball, at the right time, and at the right place. see, your frontcourt is manned by francis, mobley, and posey which are known for their cat-like quickness and hustle. and by running the floor, other teams will have a hard time defending it. if i were JVG, i will still use the up-tempo play the rocs used last season and mix it with his half-court offense. on the running game, we got three players who can run as fast as hell and at the half court offense, we can utilize yao ming to the fullest. we have a lot of options when it comes to half court. we can isolate yao and make his defender look like a fool, we can do the deadly inside-out play that rudy usually use. we've got a lot of options with this roster. i hope JVG can make the best of it!

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

although it may be off topic-

James Posey is talking like he will be back next season for sure. this interview really eased my mind about him wanting too much money or going to chicago. it sounds like he just wants to be here, and is planning on it.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I agree with you couch_pot8o but their game could be speeded up considerably by not DRIBBLING the ball up the floor. If they pass the ball up the floor it opens so many more options for them on the offence. Dont you think?

5. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

agreed. less dribbling, more motion and passing. if they want to dribble all they want, it should be when they are burning down the clock and securing the W. other than that, motion and passing half-court offense.

6. lived

lived Member

I'd like to see JVG retain at least 1 asst coach for now so that there's a link back to the RudyT team. Players might be really uncomfortable having to work under a whole new crew, and that might slow the progress and gelling of the team under a new system.

Not too sure about Ewing, it won't be too bad having him coach Yao, wierd though.. but I'd like to see Elie come in and put some hardnose dawg attitude back into the players..

Has JVG said that he's bringing in all of his previous staff?

7. smackpeddler

smackpeddler Member

VanGundy hasn't commented on his staff, but he is very tight with his former assistants and the reports are that atleast 2 of them will be with him in Houston.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

ttt. Interesting article.

9. SLA

SLA Member

Seems like it too. Sounds like he's coming back...and he's still playing with all the guys at Westside. Then again....he always plays there every summer. Then again.....all the NBA players go to Westside!!! Well it seems like he's returning and talking like he's coming back. BUT....depends on the money. I hope not.

And I agree.....they are more of an uptempo team.....just with Yao....slows them down.

I think they should have a balanced offense with fast break and half court and everything...a mixture!

10. sjeev4

sjeev4 Member

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker, but isn't that Chron title wrong English??

12. SLA

SLA Member

Heh...yes you are right. Good job! GUTEN TAG!!

And I also read in an article today in the Houston Chronicle that said the CHARLOTTE HORNETS....

13. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

We can still be a fast breaking team and a half court team. When Kenny SMith, Cassell, Mad max, Horry etc.. were here, the rebound would come and we could move the ball up the court quickly. If nothing was there, they would back it out, what for Dream, and then let him destroy. There is no reason not to get the ball out and send it down court quickly and then set up the half court if nothing there.