1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets countdown a look at the point guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Sep 16, 2013.

1. verysimplejason

Wow. Did you really say that play making skills isn't a priority? Every championship caliber team prioritize play making skills except those using the Triangle offense (or triple post offense). Please cite a coach who doesn't make use of play making except PJ (WTH, even PJ relied on Pippen and Odom for play making sometimes). What must be understood is that 48 minutes of play making isn't possible even for someone as good as Harden. And yes, even when Harden goes down, the fight must go on. Isn't this what's clutch city is all about? That's a defeatist idea if you hang your gloves already if one of your hand is broken. If there's one thing Hakeem, Max, Sam and Otis showed us last time, it is to fight even when you're down 3-1. If you're fighting till your last blood, contingencies must also be planned... Always.

2. basketballholic

No. I donated $100 recently..not off a bet, but because I like this site.

I didn't say he wouldn't make the final roster. There is still the possibility of a trade. I can see the possibility of one of these trades going down sometime between now and training camp:

1. A package trade of Asik and perhaps one or two other contracts that opens up a roster spot or two. (not likely at this juncture..more likely at the deadline)

2. a mutli-player trade involving two (or possibly all 3) of GSmith/DMO/TJones bringing in a player with a non-guaranteed 2014/15 and a draft pick or two or possibly bringing in a player like Derrick Williams, or possibly a contract like Alonzo Gee and a first round draft pick. That's just a couple suggestions. But some sort of multi-player trade for one incoming non-guaranteed or expiring contract with birds rights. This would open up a roster spot for Brooks contract.

3. A package trade of Asik/Lin/other players for a superstar. (most unlikely at this juncture, more likely at the trade deadline)

4. A package trade of Lin/other players for some sort of larger expiring (non-guaranteed) contract and draft picks. (possible but not likely) This would open up a spot for PG depth.

Barring one of those things happening...Brooks is at best #16 on the roster. His contract is lower than Brewer's and has a higher guarantee. So Brewer's contract will much more desirable as trade fodder for a team so they can immediately cut him after he becomes trade eligible on Dec. 15th. That is why all things being equal that we are more likely to retain Brewer and drop Brooks.

The other possibility would be if one of Lin/Bev/Canaan was seriously injured in training camp. In that case we would be able to use Brooks for depth and he'd likely make the team over Brewer.

By the way I don't hate Brooks as a player. I just know what he is. He's a run of the mill bench point guard. He can easily be replaced with 3 or 4 guys out of the NBA right now. Yes, he does have talent. But he's not playing up to his talent and ability and he hasn't worked on his game to develop his defensive skills and work on his offensive inefficiencies. There is only two Rockets players that I can actually say I hated on the court. That being Rafer Alston and Juwan Howard. I hated their floor games. But I liked them as people. So, nothing personal against Brooks. (Although I do think he likes to smoke the wacky weed.) But he is what he is at this stage of his career. Just another pedestrian 3rd string point guard that needs to get serious about his game to become anything better.

The reason I am so insistent that Brooks does not have any long-term prospects here is because he doesn't D up and he doesn't get to the FT line. Morey really likes defensive point guards. With the plethora of good scoring offensive point guards..Morey goes the other way. He's looking for stoppers at the PG spot. That's why he liked Kyle, Dragic, and now Beverley. Most teams are built with great point guard play. If you have a stopper at the 1 you can totally neutralize a lot of teams right there. And then you have the advantage on the other end. I don't think that will change with Morey. Not until and unless all the great offensive point guard play leaves the NBA.

Morey is also an efficiency hound. He wants to squeeze every last drop out of every possession. That's what championship teams do. For all his talent, Brooks avoids contact. He won't draw fouls, doesn't want to take the punishment. He's a dime-a-dozen scoring/shooting point guard. That's it. You can pick up those guys anytime. He has no future here.

No one should be surprised if Brooks is cut in training camp. And nobody should be surprised if Brooks is kept on the roster that he gets traded or dropped by the trade deadline.

By the way, you don't have to have an under the table deal for Morey to tell Sacramento that he will make Brooks whole for the money Brooks gave up. That's not an agreement. That's a statement made by a GM that a player either believes or he doesn't. The reason the contract negotiations drug out for a few days after Brooks was released was Brooks was trying to get back all his money last season. And Morey gave him everything but what amounts to a minimum salary for this season. Then Morey simply tells him that if he can't get a job next season, Morey will sign him to a minimum salary deal to make up the rest of the money. Brooks.....right now...is playing for money. He isn't playing to get better. The #1 bottom line for Brooks right now is money. That's why Brooks took the minimum salary deal here. He's hoping to get cut so he can get another minimum salary deal somewhere else and double-dip.

So don't be surprised when he totally farts out in training camp. Don't be surprised if he gets cut. And don't be surprised if we keep him and trade him on Dec 15th or at the latest by the trade deadline. And if we can't do that...we will undoubtedly cut him and sign someone else with our Room MLE...2 yr deal...remainder of the year guaranteed with the 14/15 salary non-guaranteed and team option so we can either trade the contract or waive it.

3. jocar

jocar Member

You can say this same thing about 5+ other guys on the roster! But what happens if he isn't cut? Will you admit your theory was wack (and pay for a round of booze), or will you just follow it up with another one to discredit Brooks?

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For the record... I dont hate the Real Housewives of .... whatever city. I just think its the worst crap that's ever been on television, and let me spend thirty minutes letting you know exactly why I think so.