1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets countdown a look at the point guards

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by devin23, Sep 16, 2013.

1. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

If you read the beginning of the article, you'll see that the PF position will be discussed some time this week.

2. jocar

jocar Member

You're calling someone who ain't afraid to take it straight through a packed lane and draw contact each time "uber soft"? Damn, talk about high standards. I'm scared to ask what you'd characterize Lin or Brooks as!

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I still think Brooks can be a good player. He was great for us before manu decided to undercut him on a heave. that Ankle injury ruined him really

5. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Sadly, it's a competitive thing. Where is he going to get the minutes? Since the majority will go to Beverly and Lin.

The only scenario I can envisage is if Lin gets traded as part of a deal to get us a decent PF, leaving Beverly to start and Brooks as the main backup. Unless someone gets injured or we're resting people during blowouts.

6. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

That sounds a lot more like a Morey move to me. Sell high. He will not get fair value for Jeremy Lin on the market right now.

About the article, not only does it not really provide anything but superficial analysis, but even the grammar is horrible... :rolleyes:

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

AB is our insurance policy. If Lin or Bev get hurt or traded, we've got him to step in. And Canaan of course will be in the D-league until one of those things happen.

8. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I think this poster said it best:

I love Pat Bev for what he brings to the team, but I really don't get the fascination with him. Assuming that J-Lin stayed healthy and averaged 11.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game during the playoffs, I could just imagine all the criticism that he would have received. Despite all the hoopla, Pat Bev didn't play well in the playoffs. 11.8, 5.5, 2.8 from your starting PG is nothing to write home about. Pat Bev's fans would argue that he played good defense, but he didn't. He got burned badly by Westbrook before the injury and was clearly outmatched by Reggie Jackson as well.

The point is Pat Bev is a good backup PG, but a poor starter. J-Lin isn't Linsanity, but he's an average starter. There's no argument here, you start J-Lin because he's the better PG, period. As for Pat Bev's full-court defense, any knowledgeable NBA fan understands that it cannot be done in starter minutes, which is exactly the reason why Pat Bev wasn't so feisty defensively (nor as effective) when he played starter minutes as a starter.

The Rockets will go as far as James Harden and Dwight Howard takes them, the rest of the guys just have to fall in and accept their roles. J-Lin just has to give average PG production and from Pat Bev we need another solid year of off the bench production. Let the role players play their roles and the stars will carry the team.

9. conquistador#11

Pg position? I think I've heard of it.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Needless to say... prepare to see lots of small ball this year. Lots of

PG #1 & #2 -(Lin, Bev, Brooks)
    SF #1 & #2 -(Harden, Parsons, Garcia)
    C- Howard/Asik

Lineups

-Could see a very non-traditional lineup alot of times with essentially 2 PG's, 2 SF's, and 1 true big man on the floor a majority of the time.

-I wouldn't even be real shocked if Brooks plays a decent amount alongside another PG coming off the bench. With having two elite defensive centers, and another veteran elite center backing up those other 2 centers, McHale will be able to get away with playing super small at the other 4 positions the majority of the game.

-So it goes without saying that you shouldn't expect Jones/Motiejunas/Smith to automatically get penciled in for ANY minutes at PF just because they are the only natural PF's on the roster.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Talking about it won't make it any stronger.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think that poster has a poor understanding of basketball and uses very simplistic and flawed reasoning to support his positions.

13. basketballholic

If Brooks even makes it out of training camp he will be the 15th man and will be trade bait Dec 15th. Yes, he does have to approve a trade. But if he doesn't approve a trade he will likely be waived after the trade deadline (if he is here that long) to make way for another signing.....barring serious injury or trade of Lin/Bev/Canaan.

14. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Right because averaging 11 points and 2 assists a game in 33 minutes is considered reliable. :rolleyes:

15. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Give playing time to Ish Canaan he replied to me on Twitter twice that alone should give him playing time lol

16. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

You're forgetting how many insanely good PGs are in the league right now.

Off the top of my head:

Conley
    Lawson
    Lillard
    Holiday
    Wall
    Williams
    Curry
    Irving
    Westbrook
    Rondo
    Rose
    Parker
    Paul
    Nash
    Rubio
    Dragic
    Walker
    Teague
    Vasquez

I didn't even include Jennings, who, despite being obviously skilled, is a ballhog and a chucker, which reduced his effectiveness to about the same as Lin's. Not even gonna bother with some 6th men like Jackson, Robinson, Bledsoe.

Anyway, including Jennings that's 20 people. How many of those can you say are certainly worse than Lin?

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

From Nash on down. Including Jennings.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

For a rookie in the NBA? I'd say yes his play was reliable.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You keep saying this about Aaron Brooks (that he'd be fine approving any trade involving him), yet you seem to ignore that it will likely be in his best interest to veto any trade and to be waived.

If a team likes Brooks enough to be willing to trade for him, then Brooks would make MORE money by getting waived and then signed by that other team. His entire 2013-14 salary is guaranteed; and any right of setoff in favor of the Rockets would be negligible, meaning that Brooks can essentially "double dip" on salary this year if he's waived and signed by another team.

Also, Brooks may really like it here in Houston. If he doesn't want to be traded--either as a main piece or as salary filler--he can just veto the deal and force the Rockets' hand. If they waive him (which would likely presuppose that he is not getting any minutes in Houston), then he can either try to sign on with another team or he can just enjoy the rest of his NBA season in Houston (or elsewhere), all the while collecting his paychecks from Les Alexander.

Bottom line: I would be surprised if Brooks approves a trade involving him next season.

20. conquistador#11

he was just repeating something idiots like jeff van gundy and calvin murphy were saying. what do they know?

lol at dragic being better. conley took 5 years of starting to reach this amazing 14pt and 36% 3 poing shooting level that he is in.

neither dragic, lowry or mike can be the face of kfc. Other than those great pgs that are still in rookie contract, lin's game is on par with those contracts. And spreading rockets propaganda in chinese chicken buckets, that's well worth the contract.

1 person likes this.