1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets' Brooks makes strong first impression

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4973110.html

July 16, 2007, 11:31PM
    Rockets' Brooks makes strong first impression
    The Rockets are feeling good about rookie point guard Aaron Brooks, whose confidence and composure made him a summer league standout

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

LAS VEGAS — As rapidly as he had flashed any move on the Thomas & Mack court, Aaron Brooks was bouncing between confidence and self-criticism when Hornets coach Byron Scott made his way over and extended a right hand.

"That's a good little player there," Scott said as Brooks stopped talking and started beaming.

Brooks had impressively guided the Rockets through a 4-1 summer league run. Later Sunday night, he would be named the outstanding rookie in a 21-team league loaded with celebrated stars from Kevin Durant to Yi Jianlian to nearly every top pick taken long before the Rockets would select Brooks with the 26th choice in last month's NBA draft.

But to Brooks, those few kind words from a man who was part of three 1980s championships with the Los Angeles Lakers said even more.

"That's pretty phenomenal — unreal almost," Brooks said. "Every time, it's unreal. You work hard to get in that situation, but you never think it will happen. The odds are so slim. I'm just happy, elated really, that it is going well so far. I'm ready to go back and work again."

Brooks generated little pre-draft speculation as a first-round pick of the Rockets, who were concerned that another team seeking the Oregon point guard's speed would move up just enough to grab him. In his first test at the controls of the Rockets' offense, he was one of the breakthrough players of the tournament.

He averaged 21.4 points (on 46.1 percent shooting) and 5.2 assists in summer league play. But he insisted he was neither surprised nor satisfied, brimming with confidence from his success but also expecting more.

"I learned some stuff," Brooks, 6-0, said. "I'm still not satisfied with the way I played. I made too many turnovers, but I'll be fine.

"I'm a pretty confident guy. You can't be satisfied. I have the same confidence, but I know I have to come out and play every game and perform in practice. The league is different from this."

Because the NBA is sufficiently different from its summer league, the Rockets will be cautious with their plans at point guard. As encouraged as they are with Brooks, he will have to find a place among veterans Mike James and Rafer Alston.

"How we think about Aaron, how he fits in, isn't affected too much by summer league," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. "We're excited about he how played, but we see him as someone who will help us over time. It certainly gives him a better chance to get on the floor by playing well here than not.

"His shot's been really, really good. Obviously, a five-game sample isn't a big sample. We feel good about how he played. His decision-making still needs improvement, but he did what we hoped he'd do. He's got to continue to work and continue to show it. We have a good set of guards he's trying to break into."

Brooks spoke about his decision-making after almost every game, but by the tournament's end, he had shown signs of growing into the job.

"He always had confidence," Rockets summer league coach Elston Turner said. "He showed some composure. I could see him get a comfort zone with what he was running. He started to pick it up and pick his spots — when to make plays and use his speed. He wasn't all the way helter-skelter. He got us into stuff. That's what we needed from him. When we needed him to pick up the pace, he did exactly that.

"He actually played like he's been in the league before, like a veteran would play. That's a real good sign for a young guy."

A sign is all Brooks could hope for so early. He got many. But in another mix of confidence and criticism, he said he felt more comfortable in the NBA than in college but still had to become a different sort of player.

"In the NBA game, speed is definitely to my advantage with the open floor," Brooks said. "I actually feel more comfortable here than I did in college because of them sagging in the lane. I just think I have to make better decisions.

"I'm not saying I know everything or anything like that. I'm learning new stuff as I go along. There's a difference between a scoring point guard and a point guard that can score. I want to be a good point guard that can score. That's the transition that I'm making. I'm definitely capable of doing it. I'm not really concerned about it. It's just going to take some time."

In light of Brooks' fast start, it might be a bit less time.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I had my doubts and still do (post defense), however, the summer league games have given us a good idea of what he can do in an open court situation. I think he will make Rafer expendable after allstar break.

I've been impressed by his ability to breakdown the defense and score in a variety of ways while getting everyone else involved. I can't wait to see the Rockets in camp and watch hm against Rafer, James, and Head.

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

he's already better than francis

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i agree with your post but ultimately i don't know how important a pg's post defense is. yeah there's some guys like billups and williams that can post you up but they're not post players and if they do that every trip down it's going to be to the detriment of their team. i'm not saying brooks size won't ever be an issue, but as long as he can keep himself in front of guys he'll be ok. it's how guys like steve nash and tj ford at least survive defensively.

i'm trying to temper my enthusiasm over this kid but his ball handling skills are just nasty. he's quick and he can stop on a dime and i like that he's trying to be a pg who can score. he looks up for it.

5. MONON

MONON Member

It would be nice to have someone other than Alston & T-Mac who can bring the ball up court in traffic.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Agree 100%. This is exciting. His PnR defense in Vegas was pretty bad too but he can be taught.

7. AMD

AMD Member

I agree. Post defense could be a liability but he played great perimeter defense in the summer league. So at least he's got that covered and I think he can only get better.

8. Fuse

Fuse Member

I thought we had more trouble guarding quick guards than ones that can post up. Paul, TJ Ford, and Williams lit us up last year and neither Rafer or Head could keep up with them. I am fine with us losing on a few matchups here and there from a guard that posts, because they are really far and few in between.

Having opposing point guards post up can also work to our advantage, because if they miss, we can capitalize on the temporary loophole of the opponents not having their players back fast enough since they PG usually plays last guard.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not to sound like Debbie Downer, but at this time last year, weren't we all talking about JL-III and how his impressive performance during the summer league surely meant he would be our PG of the future and how we HAD to sign him before someone else snapped him up?

That being said, I'd much rather have Brooks playing well than not playing well. I hope he can contribute this year.

10. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I actually don't recall the huge JL-III bandwagon. I think people were pleasantly surprised to see him doing well int he summer league, but if anything people were raising their eyebrows at the 3-year contract that resulted from his SL play. Brooks has some similarities to JL3, but his outside shot seems better and seems to be a better distributor.

11. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Oh trust me........there was a band wagon cruising right down the GARM main street with its high beams on. :cool:

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There was no JL3 bandwagon. People were happy that he did well, but no one thought that he would be our PG of the future. The excitement was all saved for Vspan and we all know how that turned out.

I'm thinking we should all hate Brooks right now. All the players this board hates at first turn out pretty well.

13. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

My apologies but I was never sold on JLIII, I watched him at the Fonde Summer League get torched by Moochie, Daniel G., Daniel E (who got cut by the clippers), and neighborhood dudes like Myron and Dwayne Rogers etc.. the list goes on.

JL cannot go right and finish with a layup, he always stops and shoots a twisting turnaround over his right shoulder.

I think Brooks is different because he did it against my alma mater FL. He gave them fits going to the bucket and hitting the jumper. Kept Oregon in the game.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I remember Rockets fans demanding that they sign him to a three year deal before someone snatched him from the Rockets. Everyone saw JL-III as a diamond in the rough.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Granted, my "pg of the future" remark was playful hyperbole, but there were a lot of people here praying that the Suns wouldn't sign him. Check this thread out:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=115450&highlight=lucas

Or this one after we signed him:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=116037&highlight=lucas

EDIT: Here's a post from our good friend DaDakota on the Lucas signing last year...

:)

#15 ima_drummer2k, Jul 17, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't remember any of this. People had him 3rd in the PG rotation behind even Luther, who people thought could run point at that time. No one thought he could start. If you could pull up a JL3 thread, that'd prove my memory wrong. But for every JL3 thread you find, you'll see at least ten for Vspan.

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Well you have to consider the fact that Aaron Brooks is a rookie and comes in and dominates the Summer League while JLIII was in his third year in the summer league when he blew up. And he also played a few NBA games beforehand.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Being cautious is a good thing, but.......

I think there are obvious differences in how AB and JL play.

JL has NEVER looked as in control as AB did towards the end of the SL.

Brook's demeanor and game just looks much more polished than JL3's.

better shooter, better driver, better finisher....better everything.

the only similarity is their height.

Im sure it will take the first half of the season at the least for him to really start to get comfortable in the difference between college and NBA.

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

Also, God has not announced that JLIII is a bust. He is still a project with a lot potential. His career might just be held back a little by JVG and Rockets. Who knows.

At least JLIII is asking for another chance to prove himself. I hope Alston has the same gut.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I'm a better shooter than Rafer, bet I can beat him in HORSE. JLIII never impressed me either. Brooks does. They are similar, yet very different, though it is hard to be specific. I think a good deal of it is attitude and confidence. Lucas seems to dribble around like he doesn't know what to do, Brooks attacks. During the regular season in the little action JLIII saw he seemed to struggle with his shot. Who knows, people develop at different rates, personalities have a huge impact on performance in different situations.