1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets assistant Jeff Bzdelik preaches defense-first philosophy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShutURBiG!, Sep 27, 2016.

1. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Will tattoo Jeff's face on my leg if he manages to make the Rockets an elite level defensive team next season.

BigggReddd likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

And the media will say nothing about Harden's leadership or ability on that end to boot.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The way MDA changes this team could mean stats like points against and pace become inflated, so naturally the GARM will be upset about our defense.

To me, I want to see an improvement in the eye-test. It was clear last year that people were not communicating and rotating effectively. Many times, it felt like Ariza trying to run an obstacle course through pylon teammates. I believe that Bzdelik is right; defense is about personnel, but it's MORE about buy-in and chemistry. I mean, Ryan Bowen can play defense, so why can't Ryan Anderson at least funnel people a certain direction.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

He can build all the defensive sets he wants. The head coach is the only guy who can really say we're a defense-first team. Defense-first means you're going to make some sacrifices in the offense (using up your energy on defense, surrendering offensive rebounds to get back quickly, giving minutes to players with defensive skills over players with offense, etc) in order to put the priority on defense. If the head coach isn't willing to do that, we won't be defense-first.

Easy likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup. NBA isn't where you work on both sides of the ball equally. It's very much a priority with one side or the other. The good teams are the ones who have the personnel who can be good/great offensively but are also able to adapt to defensive principles willingly and with a significant understanding. They buy in to both sides of the ball and understand the commitment it takes on both ends not just 1

Easy and hakeem94 like this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Defense first teams suck. Offense wins games.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If this team plays to its potential offensively, they're a 50-win team even with a bottom-5 defense (seriously: a 113 ORtg and 109.5 DRtg still produces an expected W/L of 50-32). If Bzdelik can help get the defense into the league's top-15, this team is a contender.

Not holding my breath on that second caveat, but you can still count me among those optimistic about this team's chances.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

defensive anticipation is talent that can't just be learned. i don't have very high hopes for this roster being able to replicate anything close to memphis' lockdowns

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Boxing out wins games. Sign DMo.

10. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

They don't have to be that good. Memphis was in contention for a few years with a barely mediocre offense. This group just needs to get its defense back to around its 2014-15 level (a year in which a limited DH12 missed half the season). If you believe that D'Antoni is an upgrade as a strategist over McHale (which I do), and you believe that Bzdelik is a better defensive coach than Sampson or JBB (which I do), then I think the talent is enough to get them there.

They just have to stop playing so stupid and selfish/lazy. Replacing Dwight, Lawson, and TJ with Nene, EG, and Ryno should help in that regard. Having DMo back should too, if he re-signs.

Hmc415 likes this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure how points against pace could be inflated. DRtg is pace adjusted (points allowed per 100 possessions). It is the most meaningful single rating for a team's defensive performance.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

We don't need to be an " elite " defensive team next season to be a good team just as long as we are not in the bottom few. If we manage to be in the 10 to the 15 range to go along with the amount offensive firepower this team has then we should be in the race for HCA in the west.

14. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I didn't say we need to be an elite defensive team next season to be a good team. It was just a joke because he's being heralded as some sort of defense guru that could possibly fix anything. Frankly, I believe the Rockets will be a top 7 offensive team, but be between 15-20 in defense which should net us somewhere between 47-52 wins. I think we are very capable of being in the 10-15 range defensively, but that requires the players actually changing and committing to playing defense and trusting each other. In our two best seasons rockets were 13th and 8th. In '15 we made it an effort to become a defensive team which is why we ended up becoming the 8th best defensive team in the league. If we can make the same commitment this season then that would be dope, but it also seems doubtful.

Season|Ortg#|Drtg#|Pace#|SEED
    12-13|6th|16th|1st|8
    13-14|4th|13th|5th|4
    14-15|12th|8th|2nd|2
    15-16|4th|25th|7th|8

I never had a problem with our offense including last season. People say our offense was ugly, but so what? We were still one of the best offenses in the league. The biggest problem will always be consistency and defense which is why I didn't like the MDA signing too much because I know he doesn't keep his team accountable when it comes to defense. But, hey? If Jeff than fix the defense then I have no problem with MDA improving the offense honestly. We can have gurus on both sides of the court. Last season there were two ends of the spectrum. One of the best offensive teams, but one of the worst defensive teams. Doesn't surprise me we broke even. Now if we can remain the one of the best offensive teams in the league and a middling defensive team? Definitely a team that can compete for HCA in the west.

But like you said if we can jump into the top 15 then no doubt we will be a high seeded team in the west. It's just hard to say the jump will happen when most of our players aren't really good defensive players. Obviously, to be a good defensive team it requires team work and ect so it could work, but I don't have much hope. 15-20 is my hope, and honestly even then I'd still be really disappointed because I know this team could be a lot better.

But yeah. If Houston ends up being top 5 drtg im gonna tat his face on my leg.

ricardo1979 likes this.
  15. basketballholic

The whole Association is riding the small ball wave with practically every team snoring early that they are going to be playing more small ball. Defense is just as critical in that context as it has always been.

The best offenses will be those that take better care of the basketball while shooting and making a ton of 3's. The best defenses will be those that turn the opponent over the most and shut down the paint. Just like the past but with quicker, more athletic and versatile defenders on the perimeter and in the paint.

As currently constructed this roster is a top 5 offensive team and somewhere between 19-25 defensive team.

If Nene goes down, we have no chance defensively. We may win 50 but it will be a hollow 50. We'll be blown away in the playoffs. If Harden goes down we're a lottery team.

This team is significantly lacking defensively, the boards, and in ball handling/distribution. We need a big trade(s) to have a chance to win a championship. And we're not wasting a season of Hardens career basically rebuilding. There will be trades at some point to change this rotation. If there isn't then we could become sellers at the deadline, giving away salary fit cap space next summer. But that will be a fail. It will men were struck out on making any trades of substance to turn this team into a true contender.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

That's the thing though, last year for some reason I just didn't have a good feeling about Ty Lawson and the Rockets that season, this was when everyone was choosing us to contend again and our roster in paper looked LOADED. I just had a bad feeling and well you saw what happened last year. This year however I feel good.

KlutchQT likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Bzdelik has a proven resume that is far better than the rest of those guys. If we don't have a top defensive team, it's likely a symptom of the roster that has been put together(Dwight for injury prone, below average defenders like Anderson, Gordon, and Nene) more so than a reflection on his ability to coach defense.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Yea. Pretty much every year one or more of the coaches gives lip service to defense. And now, with a team nearly void of good defenders the statement seems very hallow.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Are you serious?