1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron Rocket Update: Aftermath, Scarred & Francis Update

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Feb 2, 2004.

1. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

This team reminds me of the last four years except we have a lot more potential. And, this is a major problem. We keep looking at the glass as half full when we could, just as easily, look at it as half empty. I hate being in this state. We are not rebuilding but we are not excelling and maturing. It is a constant case of suspension, in between world...very frustrating. The ole "2 steps forward and three steps back theory."

Do we cut our losses and blow it up? Or do we ride it through and hope that another year with JVG will change things?

IMHO, JVG coming out with a heart question is really hardcore and should frustrate the team, but the team is reacting so blindly too it that this is just as hardcore. They are acting as if JVG is completely wrong and that is scarey.

But, here is the paradigm. When I watched that game from the 12th row, in the lowers Saturday, I saw a team who was emotionless and seemed completely at a loss to explain. It was not like NJ were blowing them out in the 4th, they were just chipping away. Actions and body language said it all. However, I cannot truly tell you what is in the hearts of the Rox and I do not think it is fair for JVG to offer up that kind of assessment publicly. He may have a better insight, but JVG should have not went public with his assessment. This is one of those keep it in the locker room deals. He should have left that in the locker room and been a little more sensitive in the media. I feel this type of motivation becomes hurtful and illdirected. They may respond, but it may be to spite him instead of playing for him and usually, this result is not longterm positive. We may win a few in the next few weeks, but longterm this may prove to be disasterous and lead to a blow up of the team. This may be the ultimate motivation too and please some who want the team blown up inside and outside the organziation...this is the paradigm of the heart question.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only coincidence is the last three teams had the intelligence to realize if you lean on Yao, he becomes ineffective, and it is becoming clear that with the team trying to change its focus to the low post game, you take Yao out the game, and the Rockets become a lot more vulnerable. Yao killed DeClerq. He was manhandled by Grant in Miami, couldn't handle Divac, and could handle Jason Collins.

MoTaylor shouldn't have said anything because it was his and Cato's man that killed the Rockets Saturday.

3. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Montgo,

Lurking in the background is this teams' phony belief that somehow, through their innate athletic ability and superior talent, that they are somehow better than most other teams. Witness Cat's comment about winning the last 3 games by 15 points instead of losing. That's total BS. The zone defense has stripped our guards of some of their athletic advantage. When you combine this with a low overall team bball IQ, and also because they think self instead of team (core beliefs), the whole < sum of the parts.

Rudy's hand-off approach was a disaster. JVG's tough love, air it out honestly approach, is right on. When major change is needed, incremental change won't work - in this case shock therapy is required to wake up the inmates. How they respond remains to be seen.

D R

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No, this group will not be together next November. Yao will be here. That's just certain. Mo will be here -- he's just too highly paid to be able to be gone, and at least is doing a nice 6th man job (better than all other than Bobby Jax?).

That leaves Stevie and Cat and Cato. Any might be gone, at least two likely will be sent packing. Possibly, really, all three.

5. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Dallas Rocket:

I am with you about shock therapy, but questioning character is a shortterm affect, not longterm. If the sole purpose of his comments is to motivate, then he is wrong. If he is saying it because he really believes it and he is setting up a major change then so be it. He did not question character, he said they have none. That is cool for short term affects. IMHO, he said it because he wants to rid of something major and this is the setup either this year or offseason.

some will respond will positively and some will respond negatively. Those who respond negatively will be gone for sure. Look for the malcontents. Cuttino said it is true and Mo and Steve seem miffed.......wait for the smoke clears on this. But, I would have kept these comments in house unless my intention is to send a signal and to make a change.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Everybody talks about JVG wanting to make a deal, but he has no authority on roster moves at all. He's at the will of the two biggest tools in the NBA, Les and CD...

There truly is no hope...

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It doesn't take stones to call people out in the media. It takes more stones to get your message across behind closed doors. Deriding your team in front of the media suggests that you've failed at the latter.

8. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I think the Superbowl rapping up and the huge parties dying down will help the Rockets out in the short term. That was obviously too big a distraction for a few of our players last week to handle two things at once.

9. jshabang

jshabang Member

Its not that at all my friend.....
    Van Gundy is asked questions, and he answers honesty...thats all

Sometimes the truth hurts.....The Rocks haven't had anyone give them a kick in the pants in three years and look where that got us

Move along people..nuthin to see here

Bottom line if you don't want the criticism....play better, practice better...simple solution

JVG is a proven winner who knows what it takes to win...these rocks don't and they need to listen..PERIOD:eek: :(

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

JVG is dead on, and I don't think it was aimed particularly at Francis. I honestly feel the team as a whole is failing to do little things - they've looked anywhere from going through motions to just sloppy.

Running pick and rolls was something I've been noticing a lot. They are doing the poorest job I've ever seen at effectively screening the on-ball defender. Watch how many times the OBD goes over the screen and doesn't miss a step staying in front of our guard. It's pointless! I seriously can't tell if it's a matter of the screen or the person using the screen. Both look laxadasical to me. Steve, Cat, Jackson, Yao, Cato, Mo. All of them.

Help D has been slow, and that may be sitting more on Yao than anyone. He simply does not react to weakside attacks.

Passing has been a half second slow most games this season, or the shooter hesitates and allows the defense to rotate. It looked like they were getting past it, but that definitely creeped back last week.

By nature, I'm not trade-happy, but I do hope that by next season we upgrade the 4 and bring in a long term solution to the backup point guard slot. I wouldn't move Steve or Yao, period, but I do agree with those that say Steve is not going to become a true point guard in this lifetime.

Eric Snow would be a dream.

Evan

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Say that sya that because it is so true.

12. Toast

Toast Member

MoT's playing his best ball of the season. He's delivering on offense, standing his ground on defense and has improved his rebounding by leaps & bounds. I can see why he personally would disagree with JVG. MoT's been elevating his game. He's been playing with fire in his belly.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well Kenyon Martin must have been playing with bright red hat, some rubber boots, a ladder, and a dalmation because he sure put that fire out.

14. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

I wouldnt call a 3 game losing strea a free fall......hopefully itz jus a speed bump......but yeah....i doubt that.....

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. After spending the first part of the season saying his guards are unfairly criticized and maligned, JVG is changing his public tune.
    These players need to get over their bruised egos and just play team ball. The players aren't concerned about the coaches criticism as much as they are concerned about public perception. BTW, Cat's publicist should tell him that no one likes a ball hog.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good points GATER. I think he is taking that approach with everyone on the team. He is going to give everyone time to sink or swim in his system. This is the season to do it.

I think those that are not performing well in his system will be sent packing this offseason. The Rockets need to find more "Jimmy Jackson" type players in the offseason. Great team players that are veterans and can do a number of things.

17. superpro

superpro Member

I am so surpried that you've got a senior status. Reading your message made me feel so sick!

You'd better take some further eduation before you puke here next time.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

IMO, there is no reason why JVG should've gone public with something like this.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Rocketman95, it's supposed to ruffle feathers.

That's the only way you get change with this type of team. Kid gloves don't work; Rudy tried.

20. RoxBigFan

RoxBigFan Contributing Member

I was talking about selfish play. If you play selfishly, it is so easy to take Yao out by both the opponent and your teammate. I mean you just clamp down on Yao and let those guards dribbling and try to beat you. You got the odds of 75% to beat Rox. I am not saying Yao did everything right. It is just a team sport, not a individual sport.