1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]:Pacers might face McGrady on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ccjj, Dec 26, 2006.

1. ccjj

ccjj Contributing Member

Let's see. Hope he is not rushing himself back.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4425924.html

Pacers might face McGrady on Tuesday

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Rockets guard Tracy McGrady, who Monday went through a fourth consecutive day of workouts without complications, could be ready to play tonight against the Indiana Pacers.

Rockets athletic trainer Keith Jones said a decision would not be made until after today's shootaround.

McGrady, 27, who has missed seven games because of back spasms suffered Dec. 9, had not been able to work out on consecutive days before the past four days.

Retooling again
    Even before Yao Ming's toe infection last season and fractured tibia this season, coach Jeff Van Gundy has had to retool after losing a star center.

Patrick Ewing went out in the 1998-99 season with the Knicks. But that roster was different.

"We played smaller, smaller and quicker," Van Gundy said. "But we also had highly experienced, highly proven-type players. ( Latrell) Sprewell, (Allan) Houston, Larry Johnson, two point guards ( Charlie Ward and Chris Childs) and an emerging Marcus Camby, and some other size.

"We had the depth at that time in New York that teams like San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix have, so that we were able to withstand injury with not as good a players, but very, very proven, reliable players.

"It's up to us to figure something out that gives us a chance to win."

Extended minutes
    The injury to center Yao Ming probably will bring much more playing time for Dikembe Mutombo.

Mutombo played a season-high 25 minutes against the Clippers on Saturday after Yao was hurt. He had been averaging 7.7 minutes in the 17 games (of 26) he had played before Yao's injury.

"I have no choice but to figure out how I can maintain myself very well to come out and give the team some defense and rebounding and blocking shots," Mutombo said.

Pacers update
    The Pacers have been wildly unpredictable, with no win streak longer than two games and only one losing streak as long as three. They had won three of four games before losing at home to the Hawks on Saturday. Indiana's size inside leads to double teams and open 3s.

Rockets update
    The Rockets could have several changes in the rotation with Yao Ming out. With Dikembe Mutombo likely to play extensive minutes against the Pacers' size, the Rockets could seek to put more scoring on the floor with him.

Check this out vs. Pacers
    The Rockets' interior defense, especially with the Pacers likely to post up the Rockets' small backcourt.

Statistically speaking
    The Rockets went 1-8 last season in games with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady out of the lineup.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. dookiester

dookiester Member

hopefully we'll finally see some real minutes for novak or the span man. it might be worth the sacrifice in defense in novak can bring the shooting touch we all know he's capable of.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I know a lot of people don't share this opinion with me, but I don't think it makes any sense to be too careful with McGrady anymore. The back spasms have their hold on him and that's that. We might as well get all the W's we can until Yao gets back and then maybe we still have a chance at making a run for the playoffs. If Tracy breaks down again over that stretch, then so be it. There is no luxury of going 7-20 while Yao is recovering and then expecting to make the playoffs in the West. Yeah, some might say "there's always next year" but how long can we say that for? Tracy has been on a down swing ability and health wise since he got to Houston. It's either time to roll the dice and do something this year, or more than likely we'll be struggling until Tracy retires and we have money to bring someone else in. Even then, Yao could be leaving his prime.

Depressing, isn't it?

4. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Good for Tmac. I just hope he doesn't rush back due to the urgent situation. I will be in the game at Indy. Wish Novak could see some play time, his release is the prettiest Ive ever seen... :)

5. Tuan

Tuan Member

I hold your sentiments as well, I believe Tmac should go out and play as hard as he can and show himself, the team, and the organization that he is still a franchise player. If he breaks down, so be it. I think its better this way because if he breaks down, the the rockets will know that they have retool and rebuild again. With a deep draft coming up, the rockets will have a chance to rebuild quickly.

6. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Alot of the T-mac thing is the fact that he continually talks about how old he is all the time. I conisder myself young at 25; and I am not a world-class athlete. If I was in the shape most of the NBA players are in, I would not be complaining about age.

If I am wrong someone please correct, cause I am too young to now better :D

7. dookiester

dookiester Member

i agree that t-mac seems to have lost some of that fire that he had when he went from toronto to orlando. i hope now that people have started writing him off, and people have callled him out on his retirement plans, he's had a chance to take things into perspective. he is a dominant force in this league when he is aggressive, as he was before he tweaked his back again. the sad thing is that even at 50%, tmac would be the best player on this team with yao out.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

There is 10 year mileage on Tmac already. And the tear and wear are reponded differerently by different person. I dont think Tmac is pretending or anything. If he is hurt, he is hurt.

9. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

doesn't mcgrady usually come back from injuries scoring a lot of points?

10. bigben3

bigben3 Member

i just wanna say u know nothing on him

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

If I am not mistaken, even if Tmac retires now, his salary still counts until the end of his contract. If so, we have no choice but to be careful, not overly cautious, but careful. Don't let him play consective 35+ minute games. I know he gets paid a lot, but we have to accept the fact that his body doesn allow him to play like that.

12. high5

high5 Member

Limiting his minutes won't do much in terms of decreasing the risk of his back flaring up again, it's completely random.

When I was 16, I had some serious spams after I grew almost 2 inches in a month.

Ever since, I experience random back spasms roughly 1-2 times a years regardless of the physical activity... For example, about 3 weeks ago, it caught me while I was changing a light bulb. It's just a matter of making right (better said, wrong) move.

13. Omer

Omer Member

About damn time. It's been what like 2-3 weeks now?
    Was originally supposed to be coming back next game, then within 2-3 days, then it just kept going until here we are.

Good work by the Rockets making it seem like he was day-to-day instead of just saying 2-3 weeks straight up and making us freak out thinking about last year.

14. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

If he retires do the Rockets still have to pay him? :mad: :confused:

15. Omer

Omer Member

I'm pretty sure we could get more from a trade than from him just retiring.

Like NJ would probably give us RJ, and then it would be T-Mac and Carter reunited once again, damn that would be sick to watch.

16. Highwire

Highwire Member

... at the press con?

17. yaoza ming

yaoza ming Rookie

IT'S BONZI TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

More like Peanut Butter Jelly Time! :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/areyUfCNFxY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/areyUfCNFxY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

19. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

oh? And you know because?

I dont; i repeat; Do not think he is faking.

I believe in the power of the mind though. If you set around all day saying you are old, Im old....You will convine your body that you are as well as your mind.

That is all I was saying. I think T-mac is the stuff, i love him being here, i dont want him to leave (just for the record sakes)

20. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

I don't think so. If a player retires, his contract would come off the salary cap.