1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:No contest: McGrady a better choice than Francis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotrock?, Nov 15, 2004.

1. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

Apparently not everyone thinks so, here's the post from Richard Justice's online column along with current poll results...

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/justice/blog/index.html

No contest: McGrady a better choice than Francis

Question: Why is it taking so much longer for the Rockets to "come together" than the Magic who have revamped their entire rotation too? Could it be that Steve Francis is a greater talent and leader than Me-Mac, and it was Jeff Van Gundy's system that brought him down?

Rudy T recognized that great coaches create around great talents .. They don't try to fit square pegs into round holes. I miss Steve Francis, I'd much rather have him than Me-Mac.

Jeff in Memorial

Answer: You've may have set the indoor world record for making an evaluation on a player. I can't imagine anyone would see Steve Francis as a better player than Tracy McGrady. They're different. They do different things.
    But I'd take McGrady every day of the week, and I imagine every coach in the NBA would.

As for evaluating the trade, it's way too early. McGrady has played five games for the Rockets. This group of players hasn't played a single game at full strength yet and won't until Bob Sura is healthy.

From what I've seen, Tracy McGrady is everything the Rockets could have hoped for. I disagree with you that he's selfish.

I think one of the early problems is him passing up shots. Jeff Van Gundy has attempted to fix that by having McGrady handle the ball more.

No question that Rudy Tomjanovich was a great, great coach. Van Gundy has had some success and is clearly a bright guy. He has been in Houston just over one season. Let's see how things work out.

WHO'S BETTER? Tracy McGrady or Steve Francis ... Take the poll ...

SPORTS POLL
    Which player is a better fit for the Rockets?

Tracy McGrady:
    52%
    Steve Francis:
    15%
    Neither. Both are ego-driven:
    7%
    It's too early to tell:
    26%

Total Votes: 558

Posted: Nov 14 2004 9:16PM | E-mail the writer

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

why did i know it was justice dropping this amazing insight on us.

3. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If you didn't want his answer, you shouldn't have sent your letter, Jeff. ;)

4. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

is howard and lue better than cato and mobley? i dont think so

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I can almost bet you that it was someone on this board that sent that Richard Justice. I can bet you 100% that its not our Jeff. :)

6. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Who cares? If, as a GM, you let that keep you from pulling the trigger on acquiring a top 5 talent then something is wrong with you. You do what you can do to deal for someone of his caliber EXPECIALLY if you are going to team him up with the best up-and-coming big man in the league.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wow, Scoop Justice does it again! Who would have thought...?

I got a hot tip that says LeBron James is better than Bimbo Coles. Somebody get him on it.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Who's your source and is he reliable?

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Actually, stating the obvious is not exactly a sure thing for sportswriters. In the NL MVP balloting, 8 out of 32 voters gave the 1st place to vote to someone not named Barry Bonds.

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Um... he prefers to be called "Scoops" Justice. I mean, this T-Mac > Francis story isn't an isolated incident.

Keep the GARM Civil!

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This engaging little fellow; I just bumped into him in the coffee room:

[​IMG]

12. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

i meant u cant compare francis and tmac because they are not in the same group....tmac is great francis is good...and giving up cato and mobley was suppose to even it out...

13. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

oh, ok. I think I'm following you now.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

As for evaluating the trade, it's way too early. McGrady has played five games for the Rockets. This group of players hasn't played a single game at full strength yet and won't until Bob Sura is healthy.

Huh? What has Bob Sura got to do with evaluating the trade? It wasn't like he was part of the deal - seems unfair to suggest that you can compare the trade because of Sura's contributions...

I totally agree that McGrady is better than Francis - no contest! But I think that when you throw Mobley into the mix it becomes a little more of an even trade - Orlando don't pick up a "superstar", but they get a good player and a good sidekick! And Cato gives an almost passable big man.

Still, T-Mac a MUCH better fit in Houston - we needed a player who can step up and lead the club to the playoffs and deeper - and we needed that player to be someone who could "float" at the perimiter from time to time when Ming is on song - not many players who make more threes than McGrady!

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lmao!

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

[​IMG]

LeBron? He's garbage. Penny Hardaway is where it's at.

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Tracy is just too good. In about an eight play sequence that broke the game open Tracy had roughly 4 steals, 4 assists or perfect passes, a bucket or two and some free throws. He did it all seemingly effortlessly as he is so smooth. Incrediible.

I will hand it to Steve that he put out great effort that was often very noticeable, but the results were almost never like what Tracy accomplished in that stretch last night.