1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:Mutombo tutors teammate in ways of the NBA on, off basketball court

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mirror_image, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mirror_image

mirror_image Contributing Member

Link:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3135665

Getting the ear of the Yao
    Mutombo tutors teammate in ways of the NBA on, off basketball court

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Yao Ming laughed as he stuck his elbows in the air and made them even with his shoulders.

"Elbows up," he said. "Elbows up."

He has heard those words so often from Rockets teammate Dikembe Mutombo that it's almost a constant chatter in his head when he's on the court, which means Mutombo's plan has worked.

Ever since Mutombo arrived in Houston last offseason, his goal was to contribute in more ways than just with his renowned defense.

He wanted to be a mentor for Yao.

Mutombo, 38, never has forgotten the roles Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning played throughout his career, and he wanted to have a similar impact on Yao, 24.

Mutombo was hesitant at the beginning of the season to say much to his younger teammate though. He didn't want to overstep his bounds.

But with only three games left in the regular season, Mutombo has started feeling more comfortable ?and Yao has listened.

"I've been talking to him lately a lot," Mutombo said. "At the beginning of the season, I was more reserved. I wasn't too sure if I should be talking to him because we have a coach and a bunch of assistant coaches.

"But since we got close to the playoffs, I've been trying to share with him my experience and the approach of the game and, depending on how the game is going, what you've got to do out there."

Live a little
    The biggest impact Mutombo has made has had nothing to do with tweaking Yao's skills on the court. But it might be just as important.

Mutombo was more concerned with how Yao mentally approaches games. He realized early on that Yao typically spends an entire road trip in his hotel room. Yao flips channels on the television constantly and spends most of his time just waiting for tipoff.

Others have urged Yao to get out the past two years, but Mutombo is the one who got through to Yao.

During the Rockets' last road trip, Mutombo made sure Yao left his hotel room by taking him out to dinner several times.

"What part he's helped me most is that he's gotten me out of my room," Yao said. "Most of the time, I sit in my room when we go on a road trip. And this road trip, he took me to dinner most nights. He said, 'Yao, get out. Leave your room. Don't stay there all the time.'

"I tried to do that and had two or three meals with him and just tried to relax. Maybe you're too tight if you always stay in your room."

The change might seem minor, but Ewing, an assistant coach for the Rockets, and Mutombo hope it helps Yao approach games with a clearer mind-set.

"Dikembe is an easygoing kind of guy," said Ewing, who has been an assistant to Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy for two years. "Everybody loves him. And I think Yao needs that. I've been telling Yao since last year, you can't just spend most of your life in your room.

"You've got to get out. I think Dikembe has definitely helped him to do that."

Mutombo, 7-2, has focused on helping Yao with mental aspects of the game, but he is still pushing Yao, 7-6, to improve physically, too.

Mutombo's ability to challenge Yao on the court originally attracted the coaching staff to him. The Rockets needed a backup center and wanted to find someone who would make Yao work hard in practice.

"He's another big body," Ewing said. "He's going to challenge Yao. He's going to make Yao work. I think it was good for Yao. (Mutombo) wasn't just going to defer to him."

Mutombo also has set a good example for Yao on how to rebound. There have been some games this season where it seems Mutombo is putting on a clinic for Yao.

Those nights are often the ones Yao replays over and over at home, trying to see what makes Mutombo so successful under the basket.

"I look at film on how he is going to get rebounds and how am I going to get rebounds," Yao said. "How can I do better? I'm looking at that."

A good student
    Yao also is accepting Mutombo's advice on how to approach the games better mentally, which might be even more critical next week when the Rockets begin the playoffs.

"He's a good student," Mutombo said. "He listens. He's learning a lot. If you look at him from the beginning of the season to now, I think he's made improvement. I know there were times earlier in the season when he was a little bit tired. He was a little bit affected by his legs.

"But it seems like he is picking up his momentum right now. And we're hoping that he can carry this momentum he's got with him right now into the playoffs."

megan.manfull@chron.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rockets Summary

Deep threats
    With Mike James going 4-for-4 from 3-point range Wednesday night in the 100-92 win over the Memphis Grizzlies, the Rockets started to look like a threat from the perimeter again.

The Rockets converted 42.1 percent of their 3-pointers against Memphis, making it only the second time in their last 15 games they have shot better than 40 percent from long range.

Jon Barry leads the Rockets and is tied for eighth in the NBA, hitting 42.1 percent of his 3-point shots.

"Guys are starting to get more confidence now and guys are stepping up," James said. "It's just time to play basketball. Now is the time to get focused and prepared."

Playoff tickets
    The Rockets will start selling playoff tickets at noon Saturday. Even though the opponent and dates are unknown, fans can purchase tickets for the first two Rockets home playoff games.

Those tickets can be purchased at the Toyota Center box office, select Randalls locations, by phone at 713-627-3865, or online at www.rockets.com.

A maximum of eight tickets per game per person may be purchased.

How could you don't love Mutombo after reading this article?

2. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

I belive Yao's most potent weapon is one of his lower body parts.

:)

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I thought this would be an article on Strip Clubs - talk about misleading subject lines.

4. benzman501

benzman501 Member

I better not hear "Who wants to sex Ming!!!":D

5. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

this really what we've been wanting/hoping to hear about all along. I think Mutumbo should stay just for his tutelage alone, but the fact that he can perform and do it at a high level is just bonus. Yao's weaknesses is defense and rebounding; That's deke's specialty. THe rest (see: turning the ball over) will get better as time progresses.

6. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

This really brings up the question on Ewing's role. It seems like Mutombo has had a much bigger impact on improving Yao's game and his mental approach than Ewing's had in the last 2 years. So what the hell is Ewing there for? He's definitely not doing a good job coaching and tutoring Yao.

7. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Lets hope Ming doesn't want to sex Mutombo after the seasons over!

In all seriousness though, with all the help Deke is giving Ming, I am really hoping he signs on for another season at least (maybe Mutombo can beat Parish as the oldest player to play the game!)

8. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Really a nice read! Hopefully Yao could have time to train with Deke in Summer time:confused:

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

After a very poor Nov and Dec in the turnover department, where Yao averaged over 3 a game, he's been hovering at about 2 TOs per game since. I'll take that from him any game.

Granted much of it has to do with the shifting of focus towards making Yao the finisher on plays instead of pounding the ball into him, but he has made marked improvement on his decision-making.

I guess the next step would be for him to learn how to consistently dominate when the team DOES force-feed him the ball. If he can ever learn to do that, then along with T-Mac and JVG's defense, this team would be a juggernaut.

10. rvpals

rvpals Member

Major prop to Deke, it's hard to believe anyone can hear what Mutumbo says with his voice. :D

If you watch closely, you see a lot of Yao and Deke moments where Yao talked to Deke a lot right after a game.

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good thing we are paying Ewing to do this stuff...

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I love Deke, I hope he stays around the Rox organization as long as he wants to. Maybe he can become the teams big man coach after he retires. I think Deke can teach Yao a lot, like Yao, Deke isn't the greatest leaper or athlete but he can rebound his a** off.

13. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yao's mom probably warned him about Ewing.......so Mutombo gets through better. :p

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Reading that article, I would love to see another 29/22 game from Yao. I'm still waiting for that fiery aggressiveness from him.

He's getting there.

15. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Mutombo holds a press conference to ask if anyone would like to sex him.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

"I would like to announce..... C is for cookie, it's good enough for me. C is for cookie, it's good enough for me. C is for cookie it's good enough for meee! Ohhhhhhhhh, cookie cookie cookie starts with C!!!!"

17. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

More news about twin towers.

"........

Yao Ming will travel to China and Dikembe Mutombo to South Africa for Basketball without Borders, the NBA's international basketball and community relations outreach program.

Yao, a Houston Rockets center, will lead the first Basketball without Borders in Asia, the NBA announced Tuesday.

Yao will be in Beijing on July 14-17, and teammate Mutombo will be in Johannesburg Sept. 7-12 for youth basketball camps that promote friendship, leadership and HIV/AIDS awareness.
    ........."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/moresports/0504/14/D02-149828.htm

18. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

My favorite in-game Yao moment this season happened last game. When that bully and stiff of Seattle-Evans-tried to tough Yao out for a rebound, he didn't back off. Yao was just as physical and got the rebound and then Tracy went and talked to him and they were chatting all the way to the other end of the floor basically saying: "That's what I am talking about Yao. Great job of getting that tough rebound and not backing off".

19. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

20. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Props