1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Morey's outlook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Jan 18, 2016.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rockets GM Daryl Morey: No one will want to face us in the playoffs

<a href="https://t.co/BxytWKJ7Dm">https://t.co/BxytWKJ7Dm</a> <a href="https://t.co/KyeUobkc19">pic.twitter.com/KyeUobkc19</a></p>&mdash; CBS Sports NBA (@CBSSportsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/status/689119895280205824">January 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Raven

Raven Member

And if Dwight's game continues to decline, yet the Rockets are anchored to his five year max, that's a pretty good excuse for Harden to bail in three years.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are we going to make the playoffs?

I mean we are cannon fodder right now...no one is scared of us, and weak teams are itching to play us.

All you have to do is trap Harden at the top and he will turn it over half of the time....

DD

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Q: So Daryl, where did those "similarities" with the Warriors go wrong? :grin:

Foot-in-mouth disease

I'm sure the Spurs & Warriors are quaking in their boots. And once more you'll be waiting for your team to show up.

Good, the media is already mocking him.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i agree nobody will want to face us in the playoffs. teams need to keep sharp for the next series. getting layup after layup backdoor and wide open 3's galore doesn't sufficiently simulate real scrimmage time for your next opponent.

2 people like this.
  6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I think any team would love to face us in the playoffs because it would mean they are the #1 seed

7. bushies

bushies Member

Wow, these backhanded compliments, especially that first one. Dude doesn't care.

"He's decently intelligent for a Northwestern and MIT guy, witty and low-key, funnier than you would expect a stats nerd to be and plays the self-deprecating card to perfection."

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Milk Hair still controls Murray

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Time to make the hard choice - and deal the Beard away!

Let's be honest, when you have Harden, its like having Iverson... great player, but you're only going as far as he can take you. harden has proven this season that he doesnt have the devotion to the game that an MJ or a Kobe does... so you cant put all your eggs in the Harden basket - unless you want to constantly be teased and frustrated...

Players like D12 and Lawson and others are not utlized to their fullest potential when harden demands the amount of useage he does... I'd rather build a team oriented Pistons championship team than a single player dominated Iverson type team..

Deal him. Get someone like Gallo or Butler or someone along those lines and the TEAM will be much better!

I really like what harrell brings to the team. Lawson seems to be returning to his former self - when he has the opportunity to operate as a true pg does - and not just an appendage who is told to stand at the perimeter in case Harden decides to throw it to him. Dwight needs to be taking 12-15 shots a game (instead of the 8.6 he has been...

Even if you dont get equal value back for james - the TEAM will be better!

I know some wont agree... they will say things like 28ppg, west conf finals last year, top 3 player... but hey, it aint working... time to bite the bullet and make the bold move.

#29 kjayp, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey would need one heck of a trick up his sleeve, trade-wise (I won't hold my breath) for us to strike fear in the hearts of opponents in the playoffs.

Even then, a trade of any magnitude (again, holding my breath would only make me pass out and wake up with a headache, so they say.....the same thing that happens when I watch Rockets games on TV, by the way, so I'm used to it) would put new players on the team and shake up, uh, (ahem), uh, "chemistry" (he croaks weakly).

Not that the team has much chemistry now. Chemistry? On the Periodic Table of Elements, the Rockets would be "Sk" for "Suckage".

1 person likes this.
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Morey with his hollow threats. "No one will want to face us in the playoffs?" For realz? All these teams will game plan the same way. Defend Harden and make the rest of the team beat you. It's the same tactic applied for the last few seasons. Sure, Harden will have some good games but he will also have those games where he doesn't do much and the rest of the team will have to pick it up.

I'm sure the rest of the teams in the league are all shaking in their boots. Rockets are going to have to play a lot better than they are if they want to instill that kind of fear.

I would counter with "I don't think the Rockets scare anybody" at the moment.

Granted, Rockets are playing better than they were earlier in the season. But, is that saying much when they are hovering around .500?

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I can see that as well. But if they do turn this thing around and make a serious push in the playoff's. Les might be a little more patient.

13. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This season is already over. We know and Morey knows it, he just can't say it. Getting to the 2nd round is our limit. The future of the franchise depends on this offseason and some of the big choices are out of our hands, namely Dwight's free agency.

14. You Stone

You Stone Member

For a guy who hates Morey, you really like to post about him.

Harden asked for a play maker and Morey delivered. I am not blaming Harden or Morey. I believe the Rockets should utilize Ty while he is on the court and have him be the primary ball handler and decision maker for the first 6-8 seconds on most possessions. That gives harden enough time to get in rhythm and create. There is no reason Harden should waste energy bringing the ball up every possession. Sure, it helps get him in rhythm but his defense takes a hit sometimes because of it.

15. You Stone

You Stone Member

What kills me is Ty is fast, and he walks it up sometimes. This was mainly early in the season. He has done a good job lately at quickly bringing the ball up the court, but this is his time to shine imo. He should be looking to create before he gives the ball up and if he wants to be the PG for the Rockets then he should always be on the attack and know how to get the ball to Harden, space the floor, and be ready to shoot it.

I don't think Lawson is a bad fit, but he is in a contract year and that is definitely on his mind after passing up on $12 million. He wants his numbers right away and if he just focused on playing as a unit he will get them.

16. rocketsmetalspd

Still need starting PF after all this time since letting Scola go. I hope Morey could at least address this before or on the trading deadline.

17. Milos

Milos Member

Agree completely ...
    If this season ends in 1st RD (or sooner), my money is on Les going directly to Harden and giving him 'LeBron-level' control of the franchise
    Meaning post-2016 playoffs, James Harden becomes everyone's boss in the entire organization (except Les of course)

Not sure it's the best way to build a championship team just because it worked in MIA for LBJ ...
    But if a hand-picked GM & Coach is enough to lure Durant to Houston with Harden ...

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

lulwut

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Please. The Rockets are an easy first round out. This team folds at the first sign of adversity.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey doesn't know when to shut up. He can't help himself. Too arrogant.