1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Morey says Rockets not done acquiring players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Remlap, Feb 8, 2019.

1. raining threes

So adding Shumpert and Twin isn't good enough for you?

BigShasta likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets don't have to please me, they have to please James Harden and their goal should be to win the title "whatever it takes" according to Tilman. I think there are at least 3 teams with a better chance of beating the Warriors than we do even after those additions.

Twin is the epitome of a mediocre player. He's an average to below average rebounder for a 4/5, doesn't block shots, doesn't score efficiently, is an average 3pt shooter, turns it over a lot and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. In fact he's only a decent defender in the post 1-on-1 and he's not better than Nene at that.

Now it so happens we have literally NO backup 4 (that on its own should tell you a lot), so it's better than nothing. But it is not good enough for the time we've had and what we've given up and where a bunch of our opponents have gone. Raptors, Bucks and Sixers got serious. Denver will get healthy. Warriors are playing well. I'm not here to root for business decisions, I'm here to root for the team to win a championship.

Let's hope as Rockets fans that this time the dream comes true, that a guy we sign for the minimum has the best season of his career. Maybe that would help a bit.

#82 Mathloom, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    RichieBanks, MiddleMan and bmelo like this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

Im saying same things as you so watch out for insulting homers who Morey tricked to being great while not even building full basketball roster

4. Chamillionaire

5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

these business decisions should help rockets win championship longterm(1-4 years from now)

Richie_Rich, BamBam and TheRealAllpro like this.
  7. raining threes

Well, James and Twin are boys so I think James will be happy. If you told me at the beginning of the yr that Morey at midseason would add 4 guys that have started in the league and were in there primes I think we would've been very happy. You probably not so much.

This team will go as far as Harden can take it and CP3's, Capella's health will be a determining factor also. Adding Rivers, Fareid, Morris should be a big help. If they add Twin I actually like the Rockets second unit more than the Warriors second unit.

Remlap and fckbandwagons like this.
  8. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I don’t have a problem with what your saying, but who do you suggest we have added / traded with our cap situation that is probably where I would disagree with you. You haven’t suggested an alternative or a solution if you know what I mean.

Possum and fckbandwagons like this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You mean if they agree to spend and if they get who they want? lol

These are promises. What's in the bank is Tilman's savings. What's in the future is a weak promise, like the promise that we would do whatever it takes to win a championship this season.

Tilman has lost the benefit of the doubt. Not because he decided to go under the tax, but because he bullshitted his way through every interview saying the exact opposite. That is what we know about Tilman. Call me when Tilman has, on paper, spent money out of his pocket like Dan Gilbert to win a championship. No one has a chance against the Warriors spending $20m less than them. Teams over the tax took on salary during this deadline to try to get closer. Tilman wants the title guaranteed before he spends. lol

#89 Mathloom, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    hakeem94 and bmelo like this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

or "he will get him a new manager" lmao

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I have suggested it many times. Match the Warriors spending (who are at $142m), take on salary now, if we win the playoff income covers your tax, if you don't then you slash all your role players to get under the tax and start over before we are locked into repeater tax. Why right now? Why give up James Harden's season aged 29 during a historic season for James Harden aged 30+ maybe coming back down to earth a bit? What about Paul, is it not possible Paul gets worse while he gets paid more?

I'm not about to sit here and get lost in the subjective technicalities of what we know or don't know, and who we agree is better than who. Just whoever you would have liked as an addition, get it done. Who was your favorite target at the deadline assuming them having long term salaries is not an issue? I'm sure there's someone you would have liked.

mikeiah likes this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Once at the YMCA, DaDakota had VSpan down 10-4, but let him comeback to win so as not to further break VSpan's confidence.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah he did

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You are wanting to go all in this year, with literally nothing available that would have put us over the top with Golden State. It is short sighted. Being under the luxury tax gives us a two-three year window to go over the luxury tax without hitting the repeater tax. That will possibly allow us to obtain a true difference maker next year, a year when Golden State is probably going to lose one if not two of their cornerstones. If healthy and with the Rivers, Shumperd, Faried, Morris, and whoever else we add to this year's playoff roster is stronger than last year's. We are the only Western Conference team with even the smallest chance of getting by Golden State. That is the best you can expect from what was available this year with the resources we had.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Unless one of the buyouts signs a multi-year deal, I'm still a firm believer Morey will lock-up House in last week. This will be a way for Morey to essentially buy a proven 2nd Round Pick (with 2018-19 money) to make up for losing all those picks.

Look at it this way, if House could enter the 2019 Draft, and Morey had cash to spend, he'd buy House due to having lost both his 2019 FRP and 2019 SRP,.​

Essentially, House is buying a future Trade Asset that he can't create out of this year's draft, neither via picks nor buying picks.

hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  16. cebu

cebu Member

Praying for Kevin Love to get bought out ;)

17. GottaHaveHeart

Get well @Codman

Smacktle, Roc Paint, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Why would it be available next year?

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

But your tune would be different had they landed Jimmy Butler, correct? By all accounts, we made a concerted effort to get him here, but Thibodeau was a stubborn mule and ended up not only ****ing us, but he ****ed Minnesota and himself in the process.

I was like you at the time of the deadline. I had my pitchfork out, and was ready to storm Tilman's office. But then I started really digging into the trade deadline deals, and started looking at what teams were asking for. The reality is the Rockets simply didn't have the right kind of assets to swing the kind of deal we were all hoping for. Now, what CAN be debated is whether we should have stayed patient, kept our picks and BK's expiring contract for next year, and tried to land a big fish that way. But as it stands, Shumpert (and Faried, Rivers, and Morris?) make us a better team than we were in November. And Morey still has more than enough ammunition to swing for a big deal again this summer due to the flexibility that was obtained by moving under the tax.

I agree that Tilman has some work to do to prove to us that he's willing to actually spend to win, but I also am willing to give him some benefit of the doubt. You don't spend $2.2B and re-sign CP3 to $160M deal only to pinch pennies for the foreseeable future. I think once Plan A fell through (Butler), and perhaps even Plan B fell through (JMG and Temple), then they saw a feasible opportunity to get themselves under the tax line, reset the clock on the Repeater Tax, while still being able to add a good perimeter defender (Shump), buyout talent (Morris?), and in-house help (House). I think Morey would be the first to tell you it's not ideal, but things rarely are in sports. Sometimes you have to pivot on the fly, and change your direction. It doesn't mean we're no longer looking to win a championship, it just means we're going about it a different way. This team can no longer be considered shallow. They have real roster depth (assuming we sign Morris and House). It might not be front-line talent once you get past EGo, but I think the same could be said for last year's team. I'm now willing to wait it out before knocking down Tilman's door.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Because the clock on the repeater tax starts over.

raining threes likes this.