1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Miller's Role Expanding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Are you secretly saying AB is not needed for Scoring since we are a Top 10 in the offensive category......dude your going to get shot by DD.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nope, and I'm not going to say either player isn't needed. Yao is a good offensive player. If used judiciously, he'll help us on offense. He'll create openings for teammates, he'll draw fouls, he'll shoot a high percentage on post ups. I just don't think the Rockets should move away from what's worked for them to accommodate him, because what tends to happen is it stagnates the offense and also increases the turnovers.

As for Brooks, there's no question in my mind that he'll improve our offense. That's what the numbers have shown last year and even this year in his limited time, actually.

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I guess looking at an offensive efficiency stand point, i would still go with YAO by a very small margin. We've seen this season that we go into 3-7 minute offensive funks where we cant score. I haven't paid close attention to the lineups during those dry-spells and if Miller is in there during those droughts, but it would seem that since we don't have a legit LOW-POST player right now (aside from scola), it makes it more difficult for us to generate baskets offensively when teams turn up the defense along the perimeter.

When these droughts happen, the offense needs to be more methodical rather than reactive and slow the pace down to generate good shots. And to do this, you need a multi-tooled player like YAO to be able to work in the low-post as well as the high-post.

Miller is shooting the ball extremely well so far this year, but as we all know, shooting can come and go and shooting slumps are inevitable. This is where Yao's ability to work the low-post game becomes essential.

From an all-around stand point, i think Yao's the clear winner. He's not an OUTSTANDING defensive player by any means, and maybe not even above average, but his ability to block shots, rebound, and ability to just clog the paint alone makes a difference IMO.

I think also, with his decreased playing time this year, we've seen his block numbers go up because he doesnt have to worry about foul trouble. 1.6bpg over 18mins/game is pretty damn good.

1 person likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Nice post, good points.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem with Yao is the difficulty in getting him the ball, he does not hold his position well, is too slow to react to the ball, and is easily taken out of the game by fronting.

They need to use Yao as one of several options, but not the MAIN option, his flaws are too many, and he needs support to hide them, at least on offense.

DD

6. gah

gah Member

The latter is really worth exploring.

My guess is that having Yao obviously compromises what Rick Adelman’s system is or was all about. Lately this team has been jelling offensively, at least much better in comparison to when he was playing, but the sample in both instances is so small that you have to wait and see. In games he played (not included Washington) we averaged 105.75, not too bad, but also failed to score 100 in half of them.

Ultimately, our offense is competent no matter who plays, our problems have been there with and without Yao, problems such as closing (in which you might say he doesn’t help as much) are only going to be solved if our guys bring their A-game when needed. If this would require a rating it would be incomplete. Let's see what happens by January.

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Absolutely easier to integrate Brooks to this offense than Yao. I would even say Brooks will make this offense quite deadlier, that is, if he doesn't kill us first with his matador defense. :p

8. anchel

anchel Member

Offtopic: Dampier is doing fine, he's helping Miami, I've read.

Ok. We keep going with Hayes at center and our rebounding problems.

Dampier-Scola
    Miller-Hill

Chicago, Charlotte, Washington... games we could have won with the horrible Erick Dampier. Games where we missed size notably.

Frustrating to see how year after year we keep underestimating the importance of size.

9. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Exactly... and i think that's why Yao should be used in the high-post as well. He's definitely an above average passer in terms of a big-man. I just don't think he's been given many opportunities to play in the high-post. He's capable of making the 15-18 ft shots and has the ability to make the pass to the cutter.

I wouldnt be surprised if Adelman finally decided to use him more in the high post once Yao comes back.

10. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Rick has tried....we can blame JVG for setting the mindset of Yao playing the low post game.

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Yao hesitates too much on the high post, for such a good free throw shooter to be so bad at the mid range J, Rick needs to hammer this into this head, STOP OVER THINKING.

Yao is a clutch 3 point shooter like Kyle, always goes in if the clock is on 1 ;)

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Clyde Drexler: Ya think????????

lol, seriously though... i've actually never noticed that before. Something to look at once Yao comes back (if he comes back, that is).

13. gah

gah Member

I think there would be more blame to spread on Adelman if he coached Yao before Van Gundy and only used him in the high post. You can't blame Van Gundy for exploiting where Yao is at his best, in Van Gundy's system it was a waste having Yao in the high post, and nobody could predict that's where his next coach would love for him to be, it is a matter of circumstances.

14. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Miller has been gradually developing his game to look more like his best seasons in Sacramento under RA. A lot of people on clutch fans haven't been giving him enough credit and often undermining him as nothing more than a bad player that's being craddled by RA. I can't wait to see what more he can offer later into the season