1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Miller's Role Expanding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Dec 6, 2010.

1. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

It's not a surprise Miller is doing so well in Houston under Adelman again. He was doing pretty well in Sac under RA too.

03-04 SAC 72 53 36.4 0.510 0.316 0.778 2.7 7.7 10.3 4.3 0.9 1.2 2.00 3.43 14.1
    04-05 SAC 56 56 37.3 0.524 0.263 0.812 2.5 6.8 9.3 3.9 1.2 1.2 1.46 3.23 15.6
    05-06 SAC 79 79 37.0 0.495 0.386 0.828 1.5 6.2 7.8 4.7 0.8 0.8 2.28 2.96 15.0
    06-07 SAC 63 56 28.3 0.453 0.152 0.772 1.3 5.1 6.4 3.6 0.6 0.6 1.71 2.46 9.0
    07-08 SAC 72 72 34.9 0.463 0.311 0.848 2.3 7.1 9.5 3.7 1.0 1.0 2.28 3.43 13.4

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think most people just ignore you, But when you consistently bring up Yao Ming winning multiple championships with a team like Lakers and Miami (not houston rockets) on a rockets fan forum, You will get reactions

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

We are ranked 7th in offense because we are running and gunning, I believe we are 5th in pace also. I know what you trying to say here, Brad Miller is the better fit for the system, not that he can run with the team, but hes effecient at high post with his passing ability and he has been hitting those wide open 3s.
    Then again, it doesnt make us a better team, we are 7-13, while our offense looked smooth every now and then, our defense sucked troll balls for the most part of the season --- The question you asked is single sided and pointless, let me re-phrase it for you, Brad Miller or Yao Ming, who impacts more on the offensive side on a bottom 5 defensive team with 7-13 record? You know what, I'd go with Brad Miller.

4. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Thats weird, we do see trade Yao thread pops up every 2 or 3 days --- whats the difference? Many people on this site wants to remove Yao from the squad and no hard feelings, Im one of them. So I think its ok for someone to say that, because its essentially the same thing as saying we should trade Yao for blah blah blah...

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Interesting question. Well IMHO it would depend on the Yao we get. If it was pre-injury Yao obviously Yao would be better regardless of who's with them on the floor.

However if we assume we get the Yao we got this season, IMHO as far as offense is concerned brad is a better fit. Current Yao is an inferior Luis Scola on offense, you basically get a guy who can create stuff in the low post but at such slow speed that it virtually takes up the entire shot clock.

Miller OTH fits Scola's post game to a T, and his passing complements Brooks and Martin. Of course defense is an entirely different matter, even injured Yao is much better at D than Brad Miller IMHO.

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Yao is going to have to work his way into the rotation. I don't just mean how he plays, but also, RA needs to figure out a sensible way to use him and his 24 minutes. I'm sure the idea is to maximize what Yao can do in the playoffs.

As for re-signing him, I can't see how he's worth that salary. He doesn't look like we will ever be able to count on him, medically. And, if we're not going to re-sign him, and we aren't expected to do much in the playoffs, it makes a lot of sense to trade him at the deadline. We gain little by letting his contract expire. OTOH, we can pick up at least some usable asset by trading him.

7. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

This is why we suck.....

We settle for players who are @ the end of their career.

Miller isn't our long term future, because as much as his passing skills help, our best PG prefers to have the ball in his hand to be effective but hey he definitely looks better than Hayes and Hill on offense......

and with Yao, he doesn't even know what the court looks like.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

9. acyrocks

acyrocks Member

Totally agree!

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Durvasa, great question as usual and as the resident yao hater, I will respond to your question.

I said all summer and even last year, yao needs to engulf film to learn passing angles in this offense. The problem has been or is, even though we only had a few games is yao is a slow thinker. Notice i didn' use the customary low bbiq that is overused on this board. I think his bbiq can be raised alot, but yao fits the description of the francis mold kind of thinker. Its been a long time since my days of studying this in college, but when evaluating qb's, the nfl has these kind of questions to stimulate and determine what kind of thinker the qb is.

Basically, brady,brees,peyton,rivers are of one type and eli,carson palmer, and even steve mcnair are the other. It has something to do with being able to multi task on the fly,under pressure and make the correct answer vs only being able to process 1 process. Its like the fork in the road thing, and for some people, they can pick both sides and excel, while others can only choose 1 and excell. Yao,francis,and other fit in the 2nd category.

Back to yao with that in mind, Yao can't process otions fast enough and be effective at both. If yao chooses to pass, he's good, if he chooses to shoot,he's good at it, but if he has to choose between both, he stinks. Thats his hangup in this offense and thats why the offense looks smoother with miller and open things up for other players when they play with him. It goes back to my observation on how the spurs play with an older,slower, duncan. He's older and slower, but he's a quick thinker and can process the info to make up for the steps he's lost. Now the spurs have him out on the floor away from the baseline for 70% of the game, yet they're scoring is up big time. As a result, parker,manu,and jefferson can attack the basket from the creases they have. In actuality, they have moved on from the low post play of duncan prior to their championship run. When parker won the finals mvp, that further cemented what they were already doing.

Yao can do the passing stuff miller do at the elbow, but it takes alot more mental work than anything. I don't think he will ever be as good, but he can be serviceable enough to the point he's efffective there. Passing in a motion or passing type offense requires alot of studying because of the angles and anticipation. In the nfl you always here throwing the guy open. In the triangle or princeton, you have to pass a guy open. The creases and openings open and close so quick, the pass has to be there as the guy is coming clean, not when he's butt naked. If you really want this thing to work and get a mix of the 2 players, sign marc gasol in the offseason.

11. gah

gah Member

To just focus on offensive impact is a diversion, unless you are asking for a set play at the end of the game. But anyways, you can’t put your hopes on Brad Miller, he is just a role player in a hot streak (it would be heaven sent if he could keep it up, but I doubt it)

When healthy, with him being the most important player, Yao has proven that he will almost guarantee you a playoff spot, no matter how awkward the offense looks.

When defended one on one, Yao is arguably the most dominant center in the league. Simply, I don’t think there’s any way Brad Miller can top that over a whole game, unless he keeps shooting the way he has over the last couple, which again, I seriously doubt. If you ask me on a set play at the end of the game then yes, because he opens up more doors, but for 48 minutes Yao is still our best player.

12. gah

gah Member

For me it's more of a physical limitation than a mental one, if he thinks fast (and my guess is that he does) doesn't matter much if he can't act on it as fast (and we know he can't). For me, in the instances of passing or receiving the ball, the game is a tad too fast for Yao to keep in sync.

About the notice, you can easily replace slow thinker for low basketball iq because the former is included in the latter. :p

13. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

This wasn't Yao's choice if i'm not mistaken. It was my understanding that in order for the Rockets to be able to sign Yao, China required Yao play for the national team in the offseason.

First 3 years of Yao's career, he played in all but 2 games, so these injuries were not expected.

His first trip to the Injured List was due to an injured knee, then a broken leg, and then the foot problems followed shortly after - which i think is a result of over playing him in the low post.

Yao's got a nice mid-range touch and is a pretty good passer for a big man - i dont know why they dont use him more in the high post like Miller. I think he's been OVER used in the low-post and that alone takes a toll on your feet.

If he's being fronted, they continue to try to force it into him.. If he's being fronted, i'm not sure why the coaching staff doesnt call to reset the play, and move Yao to the high post to open up another shot to unclog the lane.

But to answer the question - with our starting 5, Yao's a better fit because he also provides inside defensive presence (i know this wasn't the question) cuz i think that's a very important factor for us to be successful. If our defense is good, our offense will look that much better IMO.

And i know i'm not a professional player or anything, but in my experience at playing in tournaments and at the gym, the days i play well defensively, i tend to play better offensively as well.

Why no love for Charles Jones??? :grin:

[​IMG]

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

used to love watching Charles Jones aka the pickmasta.......Dude set screens like no one ...He knew what he was paid to do unlike most NBA bechwarmers nowadays

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What I'm asking is which player makes us a better offensive team. By "offense", I'm mainly referring to team efficiency -- points scored per possession on average. By that measure, the Rockets are currently a top 10 team without Yao.

Its not pointless at all. Would it be pointless to ask which player is more impactful on defense? Would it be pointless to ask which player is better in the low post? Is it pointless to ask who is the better rim protector?

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Did you ever stop and think that maybe they brought in Brad to show them how big men are effective in Adelmans system?

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

1. Wrong. Guess what team runs a form of motion offense? The Lakers. That's right, the triangle offense is a more defined form of the motion offense

2. That's ridiculous. Yao is injured. How can he possibly choose one over the other?

3. As for these claims about Yao not fitting. Yao fits at least as well as Scola does, if not better. They both are post up players that can hit a mid range jumper, and honestly, Yao's passing in the high post is a lot better than scola's is, yet scola is our starting PF.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Maybe you are better off in RealGM's forum?

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Having a healthy Yao would put us in the playoffs, this I agree. But I would attribute it more to him bolstering our defense and rebounding.

We've seen that a Yao-centric defense can be elite on the defensive side. Can it be elite on the offensive side as well? This we have yet to see in his career. Like many have said, you want to be very good on both sides of the ball to elevate into contender status. I'm not suggesting that we make Brad Miller our starting center and ask him to lead the way. That's not going to work. But there is a lesson to be learned from how his particular skills help the offense versus what our offense does with Yao in the middle.

20. thething

thething Contributing Member

A healthy Yao can draw fouls and get the other team in the penalty. Team that with Kevin Martin and we should get LOTS of free points. Yao is a huge difference-maker in the offense at full strength.