1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] - McNair: Bush pick not a lock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 16, 2006.

1. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Bush will be at the Combine. I think he wants to showcase his talent.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I wouldn't be suprised if he actually ran a 4.5-4.6 40. When this guy gets into the open field, his strides are so long that very few can catch up with him. I don't think he has the explosive speed you need to have a great 40 time, but I think you really see his true speed in the open field.

I remember watching the OKSt. game and the commentators were saying how the NFL calls guys like VY a "2-stepper" meaning he covers 5 yards every 2 steps. I think he covered 80 yards in like 24 strides.

3. swilkins

I don't see him having a faster speed than 4.6.

Vince is like a V8. I don't see the initial burst, but once those legs get into his stride, he can cover a lot of ground.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I have never seen even really fast defenses and really fast players catch VY from behind without an angle. Havn't seen opponents outrace him for the 1st 2 yards or for 40. Considering Ced Benson ran a 4.55 on campus pre-draft (probably would have been 4.6 at the combine or related conditions) and always looked slower than VY, I would be shocked if VY ran less than a 4.55 and think 4.7 is ridiculas.

My guess is VY runs between a 4.45 to 4.55--well fast enough to outrun 95% of college LBs and DBs. But Matt Jones with those big loopy strides ran a consistent 4.4, so VY near 4.4 would not shock me either.

My guess is Bush runs between a 4.35 and 4.45. Mark Clayton looked faster than everyone else when on the field (and great initial burst like Bush) and he ran a 4.42 at the combine. Bush has an spectacular 10 year burst, but whether he is much faster that other burners at top end speed is anyones guess. That is why I'd put his upper limit at 4.45 (unknown top speed), though I expect him closer to 4.4 or perhaps a little faster. If Bush comes in at 4.3 with combine like conditions I would be more intruiged than I currently am, I admit.

For all these I am assuming combine-like electronic results on a standard surface. I'd add .05-.1 to a 40 time reported anywhere else. VY or RB may not go to the combine, but you can be sure anyone who drafts them #1 or #2 is going to work them out thoroughly and know how fast they are (among many other things). And like I said if you here VY run a 4.5 not at the combine (private workouts, UT pro day), assume probably 4.55 or so, same deal of adjusting Bush's reports too.

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

see, but Matt Jones is ten times better than VY according to Chris Mortenson. Matt is faster and has a better arm and was a better college player.

UT's track is pretty slow unfortunately. That's why it was crazy when Roy ran under 4.4 on that track.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

VY said he ran a 4.42 before the football season.

DD

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Now we're down to ridiculous (fake) 40 times. The 40 yard time is the worst stat in the draft. When in god's name have you ever seen anybody run 40 yards in shorts, a t-shirt, and track spikes in the NFL? Hopefully never.

Sure, if somebody runs a 4.4, he's faster than a guy who runs a 5.0. Aside from that, the margin for error is exacerbated, once pads, grass, and big dudes chasing you is applied. Vince is fast as f-ck. Ask USC, ask Michigan, and ask anybody in between, be it warp-speed Teddy lehman or anybody else - the dude can move, and people can't catch him. That's the bottom line, and i'll take that above Reggie Bush (or, amusingly enough, Reggie McNeal, as some fools still claim) and his (their) manufactured 40 times any day of the week.

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

I think we're done here. Good post.

(I've got cake with Bush and icing on my cake with VY. It will be fun to watch the Texans whether I get icing or not. I like cake. Cake is good for the Texans.)

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In the interview that is on 610, Vince Young was asked about his 40 yard dash time and he says he was clocked at 4.42 before the season started..

Just give the interview a listen......or would you rather bet?

:D

DD

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Methinks you're missing his point.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

did anyone hear charlie palilo yesterday talking about the original report. He said espn called mcnair before the rose bowl.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

go on...i'm not totally grasping what you're saying.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Well the espn report came out after the rose bowl, but they never said they got that info before the rose bowl. they misled people into thinking bob said that after the rose bowl.

14. swilkins

At this point, it doesn't matter who reports what. Whether it's McClain or ESPN.

Until Kubiak is officially hired and makes his decision, avoid these meaningless leaks.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

got it...thanks.

16. gucci888

Agreed.

17. MONON

MONON Member

OK sports fans. This is how it goes down!

1. As soon as Denver's season ends, the Texans hire Kubiak as their head coach.

2. An hour and a half later, Kubiak has explained to McNair that both Bush and Young will be a. facing NFL defenses that are bigger, faster and smarter than anything they have faced in college and B. playing behind an inferior offensive line to what they had in college.

3. Based on this information, McNair announces that "the bidding for the #1 pick in the 2006 NFL draft is officially open!"

4. In the draft, the Texans select 5 offensive linemen in the 1st 2 rounds.

I read this in a Nostra quatrain. Sorry, but I seem to have lost my 600 year old link.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The guiltiest party is one school called Virginia Tech. They claimed that Corey Moore, a DE, ran a 4.36. At the combine, I think he ran a 4.7.

I don't know where I saw it, but they had like eight guys run sub 4.4 this year. Maybe even more. They also had DeAngelo Hall at 4.18.

19. gucci888

4.18!!?? Wouldn't that be the fastest 40 time ever? That's not a good thing for Hall (unless he actually runs it) but anything less than that will be very disappointing, especially for a guy who is on the 1st round bubble.