1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And CO-Starting, at guard, in his 4th year out of Harvard University.........JE-RE-MEEEEEE LINNNNNNNN!

3. KlutchQT

At least they agree with Clutchfans' analysis. LOL.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Honestly....

Howard
    Parsons
    Harden
    Bev
    Lin

Sounds fine to me!

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

ESPN texted me that quote at 1:50pm. I knew it was bad news for the GARM as soon as I read it.

But before the eruption occurs, see how Lin views it:

I like it.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

We also have two starting centers.

What if morey is building two teams????

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  7. NYK Fan

NYK Fan Rookie

Off-topic... what is GARM? See it here on this board only and am curious what it means?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Game Action & Roster Moves

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the name of the rockets forum (this one) Game Action Roster Moves

10. dje243

dje243 Member

Good on you McHale. You find the lineups that work for specific matchups and go for it. We care about wins... not about who gets to be on the floor first.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good problem to have. Let them challenge each other and make each other better.

12. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

he also has two starting centers

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sounds good to me.....

14. KlutchQT

This makes me both nervous and excited.... interesting season, for sure.

15. Fighton

Fighton Member

really hope this is not like football where they say -

if you have two starting qb's, you really don't have a qb.

but then again, the pg in this system isn't nearly as important as a qb in an offense...

so is he planning to rotate both of them throughout the year as well? not sure if that's the smartest idea... you're gonna end up with two disgruntled pg's. both lin and bev are saying the right things but c'mon, you know deep down they're not happy splitting starting duties.

16. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This is good in theory, but I don't recall ever seeing a basketball starting platoon work long-term. Unlike baseball, chemistry is critical in basketball. Defined roles and knowing when and with whom you will be playing helps quite a bit. That said, I think that both are good enough players to make it work regardless of the system employed. As a huge Lin fan that thinks he is an outstanding basketball player (and not just because I like him personally), I just want to see him get alot of minutes and a chance to contribute, regardless of his starting status.

17. NotChandlerParsons

It's funny how reasonable Lin is about this. I bet he's probably more sick of hearing questions from reporters and his fanbase about it than the idea of coming off the bench.

18. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Part of me feels like McHale wants to make everyone happy with this "you're all starters in my book" approach. Having 28 different starters is fine for preseason, but I do think there is something to be said for consistency and players knowing their roles as well.

I do agree with coach that we have a lot of versatility and a plethora of options, and it's great to hear people (Asik aside) seemingly willing to sacrifice whatever is necessary for the good of the team and play their hardest regardless of role.

[Sidenote: This is the biggest reason I think Asik is a goner. It's not about fit talent-wise, because McHale will figure out what works. It's about having the right fit attitude-wise and sacrificing for the good of the team. I know Asik is probably thinking "I've sacrificed enough during my career" and he's entitled to that opinion (as it's true), but when even superstar Dwight Howard is willing to buy in and change his game and chase forwards on the perimeter and you still are pouting, I just don't think you'll last... especially when you have a high trade value and are easily moveable.]

However, I think it's good to have your own identity and game plan and make adjustments as necessary in game, depending on what's thrown at you. When you have a team as stacked as we are we don't ALWAYS have to adjust to our opponent. It's okay to make them adjust to us. But, we don't know yet who we are.

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just another great problem to have for this team. These are the type of problems you can play through a season with successfully.

No problem.;)

20. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

Should try a Bev-Lin-James-Chandler-D12 lineup a little