1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McGrady, Rockets send mixed signals on return

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket4Life11, Nov 9, 2009.

1. PeppermintCandy

Yeah, sounds like it doesn't it? Too bad Justice doesn't clarify it.

Personally, I wish the Chronicle would do a straight news story regarding McGrady's status instead of these blog commentary pieces that scold him like a petulant child.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Artest is a tough player. No cancer at all. Artest is rapping that takes a bit of his focus away from basketball. So what? He is doing fine with the Lakers as an Uber-role player which he was not when he was HERE.
    To our detriment he had a big ego, wanted to be No 1 player behind Yao Ming.
    It does not matter now anyways.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Journalist are paid to write articles. And they usually blog in their free time. That's all I think there is to know.
    Funny are that they are writing this. I mean Tmac has no choice than finding playing time for himself.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Ok, if the Rockets don't want him, are pissed or whatever just hell TRADE HIM.

I don't see ANY problems.

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I was talking about McGrady still. He's the cancer.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I get the feeling there is:

McGrady's public side of the story (I'm ready to play!)
    McGrady's private side of the story (I'm ready to play enough to get paid)
    The Rockets public side of the story (his rehab is good...no further comment)
    The Rockets private side of the story (how fast can we get him out of here)

Everyone is trying to do what's best for them. Regardless of McGrady's true motivation he wants to get out there and play. The Rockets, I think, are done with him and I are just waiting for the right deal. I think Morey figures if a team is interested in his contract then it's better he stay "injured" for insurance reasons and because the other team doesn't care to play him anyway. If a team is interested in signing him for his contributions on the court it's best to keep him rehabbing to make sure he is 100%. No point in bringing him back if he isn't 100% back or out of shape. If I'm the Rockets I would keep reporting that his rehab is going great but he still won't play for precautionary reasons. It seems like the best way to hedge all bets.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be objective, he wrote an email. Simple as that. If you want to draw your conclusions. Fine.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It just seems journalists are more concerned than Morey and Co. I could be wrong but Morey is really cool about it.

9. deshen

deshen Member

from hoopsworld

NBA AM: It's Not McGrady's Call

By: Steve Kyler Last Updated: 11/10/09 9:21 AM ET

Tracy Wants To Play: Last year a few days before the Houston Rockets could have consummated a trade involving Tracy McGrady, T-MAC announced from his website he was going to have season ending microfracture surgery much to the dismay of his team and his coaches. The trade never happened and McGrady has spent the last 8 months working and rehabbing for his return this season.

The Rockets have been clear they will re-evaluate Tracy on or about November 23rd, however this week in typical Tracy form he made it clear he's ready to play sooner and expects to be on the floor in the coming weeks.

"I have been practicing, training, and rehabbing hard for my return to the court," McGrady said in a recent Blog entry. "I'm going full speed at practice and am not being held out of drills anymore. I'm hoping to get out there as soon as possible, and with everything that my doctors have been telling me, it sounds like that will be sooner rather than later."

McGrady has also involved the media in his push to return to the court sending a few e-mails to reporters trying to force his case.

"Excited to get back and compete at a high level again," McGrady said in an email to Yahoo! Sports Marc J Spears. "For a full year I had to play on one leg against the best and I couldn't compete with anybody the way I was feeling.

"It's gonna be a relief to get out there and play knowing what I went [through] last season and this summer."

The Rockets responded with a written statement, saying that while they are pleased with Tracy's progress, they are not ready to set a date for Tracy and that any speculation – even from Tracy - is premature.

"While we are all encouraged by the fact that Tracy's rehabilitation has been ahead of schedule, we must remain vigilant through the next stages of his recovery," Morey said in a statement Monday. "No timeline has been set for his return. He will return when team doctors, officials and Tracy all agree it is best."

Sources close to the Rockets said several weeks ago if Tracy had his way he'd be playing now, the Rockets are being overly cautious because they want Tracy to prove he can practice every day and compete every game night and not be in and out of the lineup.

Sources said recently that Houston is doing everything in their power to insure they get value out of McGrady this season and won't let his ego or personal goals derail their plans.

10. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

needle in a stack of needles

11. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

not that I want this to happen.

but can we just "marbury" him like the knicks? what does it take to do that?

that will just put an end to all the drama and speculation rit? he probably go to Steven A Smith and b**** abt the rockets.. but that doesnt matter anyway..

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

this is all a bit much i am hoping that it doesnt affect the team.

I am all for mcgrady playing this season if he buys into the team concept and fits into the team but there is no history supporting that. I think that if/when he plays let him showcase himself even if it costs the Rockets a few games and up his trade value to acquire better pieces/picks going forward for the future.

Safe to say that McGrady has played his final season with the Rockets I cant see how he will not be traded at the deadline or in the offseason in a S&T.

chances are there are some $ issues behind this where if Tracy doesnt play by a certain date insurance will pay for a portion of his contract but maybe tracy doesnt get the full amount but like 85-90% of his deal. I remember something where in orlando grant hill played the mininum # of games during his injury plagued season to get paid his full contract.

tracy wants all his money and the rockets obviously want to lower their costs dramatically

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I think that is right. I do belive they want him back because they know he can help.

Btw, Dick Justice wrote some interesting news.

1) He thinks that the Rockets don't want him and are pessimistic about his comeback
    2) He says Tracy hasn't looked good at all.

INTERESTING...

14. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

just wondering why Justice didnt say all this before Mac announced it.. why is all this coming out after Tracy started the drama?

something really fishy/double-crossing going on between mac and the Rockets..

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Yeah, it is freaking amazing. There have been no news about Tracy for several good weeks and all of the sudden it explodes.

Something is going on.

But to end it, JUST TRADE HIM and let him earn his money somwhere else...

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's exactly why I posted it, not for your approval. :rolleyes:

He's all about the $$$ and that's why he wants to come back sooner than projected simple as that.

17. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

yeah.. till day b4 we were wondering what his status is.. now every chron reporter comes and claims that he looks bad..

crazy stuff... yeah . they should move him immediately...

and though i dont like it. just marbury him.. what does it take to do that?

18. PeppermintCandy

from hoopsworld
    So now one email response to Yahoo turns into a few to reporters "trying to force his case"? What passes for media these days...sigh.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

All that last second shot stuff is great. Nobody would argue that letting Ariza take a last second shot is going to be better for the team than TMac. I'd take a healthy TMac every time. The problem is I don't know if I want him on the court for the other 47 minutes and 59 seconds? Not with this team at this time and after he has put himself above the team at every opportunity. Tracy IMO is not a Rocket anymore he is a mercenary and doesn't have any problems with "friendly fire" if it can help him manipulate the situation to benefit TMac.

Oh how I would love to hear TMac say "I am doing everything that the Rockets training staff has asked of me. I feel like I'm ready to play now but that is up to the team and I don't want to do anything that might destroy the obviously good chemistry this team has already shown. I will wait till the Rockets say I'm ready and I will gladly come in and do what I can to fit in with this team and help to continue their already winning ways."

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

More than likely this was something the organization was trying to keep under wraps up until McGrady got to typing and sent emails to reporters saying he's ready to return.

Now the chaos begins.