1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Mario Williams making move to outside linebacker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Coach AI, May 6, 2011.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

let me guess...you also think that osama had been dead since 2003.

if you're going to be overly critical (which you will), at least do so based facts, not some ridiculous conspiracy.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can totally see the "footwork" bit becoming the next in a long line of Texan memes like "battlefight" and "Five and Seveners" etc.

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

That would be the job of a DE for a 3-4 defense, not sure what kind of scheme wade runs, but a DE in a conventional 3-4 defense needs to occupy blockers to free up the linebackers and give them room to maneuver. Sounds like a waste of Mario's talent, especially when good DEs for a 3-4 are much easier to acquire then a good pash rushing OLB. Its a good risk to take, moving Mario to the OLB position where he can help the team the most.

4. msn

msn Member

"Every day, we work hard on our footwork. We take our kids' footwork seriously, because they're good kids, and when they're in the battle their footwork has gotta be there for them. We put a picture over the tunnel exit just before we get to the field, so it's the last thing they see. It's of David Carr getting up after a sack. Everybody hits that picture on the way out, it reminds us that we're going to battle and fight out there for 60 minutes. We never give up the battlefight. Cause that's what 5n7ers do. We battlefight."

2 people like this.
  5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Oh, absolutely. But I'd counter Wade Phillips, as a defensive coordinator, comes with a much better track record than any of those guys did when they were brought here at their respective positions.

Which "they" are we referring to? I think, when you consider the offense and, at the very least, the core of defensive talent *on paper*, that the Kubiak regime has gotten it right far more often than wrong. Now, if you want to discuss coaching decisions...........

What are we criticizing here? I need to once again remind you that Wade hasn’t had a single, solitary practice with Mario Williams yet. He’s spitballing. By September, he could have Mario lined up at safety – we don’t know.

I see no harm in trying it, even less so in discussing it. As Nick astutely noted, the defense was horrendous last year with Mario at end. Let’s not pretend something on that side of the ball is “fixed.”

6. Hey Now!

Hey, look! It’s Hillboy with his quarterly reminder that, despite three solid years in Dallas that bested Bill Parcells, and the roughly 48 decades prior to that in which he's had consistent success, Wade Phillips went 1-7 last year and thus sucks. Awesome. How ya been?

1 person likes this.
  7. msn

msn Member

but when one considers the W-L record, one may get tired of hearing how much else the Kubiak regime has gotten right. one might wish for actual W's, and not those of the "moral" variety.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I've been just great Ric. You know: Been sitting back watching all of give and take about your new wonderboy Coach FixIt. I see you still rever his legendary Buffalo defenses of yore. I certainly do hope that Wade is adjusting to his new role as the savior of professional football in Houston. If not, I'm sure Bum "Big Daddy" Phillps will be more than happy to give him some walking on water pointers. Keep the faith baby!

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wasn't thrilled about Mario as a 3-4 DE so I think this is a risk worth taking. Mario's previous "stand-up" stint didn't work out well from what I remember but this will be under a much different scheme and coach. The pass rush potential with Mario, Watt, Reed, and Barwin is pretty darn good.

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it the DL coach or the LB coach who coaches the OLB in a 3-4? I think it is the LB coach, Reggie Herring, the same guy who spoke about the Reed pick. So, the coaching bit may not be the issue you are making it out to be. Williams has not been properly coached rush LB technique.

As for the 290 LB linebacker stuff, Phillips said Williams is not a natural 290 and checked in last week at 282. Seven fewer pounds and he checks in in Shawn Merriman territory. Still a big dude, but not 290.

I just wonder how this would have played out if Aldon Smith had been there at 11. Do they run Williams at various spots on the line or do they still try the OLB thing with Smith at the other OLB spot, while selecting another player for the DL with the Reed pick?

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mario must believe in it, because if his numbers are low its going to hit him in his pocket.

12. Hey Now!

Well, yeah - sure. I also admire the way he improved upon Bill Parcell's success in Dallas... four years ago. Bested him in every way - better defensive rankings, more playoff victories, better overall record. Why do you continually ignore that and conveniently settle on "1-7" as a means of defining him?

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I saw Wade at the Town & Country James Coney Island about a month back. My 11 year old and I joked that Kareem Jackson was probably with him, but that he slipped and fell down in the parking lot on the way in.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I guess playing Mario at LB is worth a shot, we were the worst defensive team in the league last year, so we don't really have anything to lose. I just wish Mario could have a year and not be hurt.

15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

well-done, lmao.

16. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Get back to us when you actually win a Super Bowl again

17. conquistador#11

Did Wade just get appointed to General of the new battlefighting regime?
    He's here as the second commanding officer and a very decorated one at that. Everywhere he Wade goes, the defensive attack gets stronger.
    So why doubt his knowledge of defensive strategy? By looking at the draft, it's apparent that the organization has faith in him and is allowing him to manuever accordingly.
    I only watched two cowboys games last season so it's difficult for me to make some assessment on why the cowboys decided to quit on Wade.

you can make all the jokes about Kubiak, and I'm there laughing at them, but one thing this team never did was quit. Even after heart breaking losses, followed by more heartbreaking losses... the offense still kept playing.

Damn that awful defense from last year. It still wants to make me puke.
    Kubiak's decisions will cost us the regular 3 games, but having wade out there as the DEFENSIVE mastermind he is, will allow the defense to scheme better and not allow any team to march 80 yards in 20 seconds.

18. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

No doubt that Wade Phillips has had prior success as a defensive coordinator in his many seasons in the NFL, but there is something about the Texans that brings out the worst in people.

I have a feeling Wade will come here and flop as a DC, and him and Kubiak will be gone next season. Phillips will leave here scratching his head wondering what went wrong. He simply got Texaned.

20. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

while there may be a chance of a flop, no way he gets let go after one year