1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Mario Williams making move to outside linebacker

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Coach AI, May 6, 2011.

1. Mattj

Mattj Member

You're kind of missing the point. There's ego inolved here. Wade thinks he's going to fix Mario's footwork. Ok fine. Then why did you keep the DL coach on staff if he is teaching poor footwork technique to your DL. How many DL coaches has Mario had (three)? So all three DL coaches thought Mario's footwork was crappy but decided to not fix it? I'm just not buying what Wade is selling on Mario. Is Mario the next Bruce Smith or Demarcus Ware? How about you leave the one thing on your defense that works alone? I assume you agree that Mario is a top 8-10DE. Do you think it is a lock that Mario is a Top 8-10 OLB? If the answer is no then it is stupid to move him.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Simple yet eye opening take.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Im sure Kareem Jackson gives 100% on every play...Didnt mean nothing because he didnt have proper technique/fundamentals and was overwhelmed.....Dont confuse me with delusional VY supporters...Because Im sure , You were one of em once upon a time!!!

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

avoiding the question ...scared of gettin toasted by fellow clutchfans???....I'll answer it with a resounding HELL YEAH!!!

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's May. He's yet to step foot on the same field as Mario. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It doesn't matter what I think - I trust Wade Phillips' evaluation and coaching acumen 10000000000000000000000000000000(just keep adding zero's for awhile... no, no - keep going, several hundred more…) times more than yours, mine or anybody's else's here, and the remarkably irrelevant last vestige of David Carr's failure is not endangering that trust.

What they've seemingly done is built, as much as they can given no free agency, a flexible front 7. So I don't believe anyone should assume anything is written in pen right now. It's all conjecture and projection. As of today, Smith is an end; Mitchell is a starting NT; Mario is an OLB; Cushing is an ILB; Jackson is a starting CB and Quin is a safety. It won't shock me if some or all of those change yet again once they actually have, you know - a practice or 12.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I think it is a move that could pay off big.

If Watt pans out, who are they going to double team off the edge? Watt or Mario? Pick your poison.

I look forward to witnessing the carnage of the first QB that Mario hits with a full head of steam and a clean shot coming from the LB position.

I'm predicting at least two QB's will be carried off the field next season.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The defense could honestly not get any worse than it was last year... with Mario starting the bulk of games at DE.

The pass rush could honestly not get any worse than it was last year... with Mario starting the bulk of games at DE.

The ability of this defense to get its secondary exposed (due to the lack of a pass rush) could honestly not get any worse than it was last year... with Mario starting the bulk of games at DE.

I, for one, do not care where Mario plays... as long as it makes this defense better. I don't care what configuration they play, who they put where, who's calling the plays, and who's determining who we draft... AS LONG AS THE DEFENSE GETS BETTER.

2 people like this.
  8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

its a weak and wrong argument about mario's "motor"...which is kind of a stupid team, but whatever. Early in his career there were times where it looked like he wasnt going 100% but a lot of that could be attributed to him thinking about his responsibilites rather than reacting.

But certainly the last 3-4 years mario's effort cannot be in question.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt, I think you're taking what Wade said out of context. Here is the quote from today's article:
    I don't think that statement is an indictment on Kollar or anyone else who coached Mario on the DL. What Wade said from the start - and said again for this article - is that when Mario was standing up and rushing the passer, he took a couple of missteps before going up-field and he didn't look comfortable while standing up compared to a three-point stance.
    If you want to highlight how it looks like Wade is back-tracking, that's fine. I think when it's all said and done, Mario will rush from a three-point stance the majority of the time because I think the Texans will be in the nickle a lot (Mario - Watt - Smith - Barwin/Reed). On rush downs when the offense is in a base formation, they'll try and stand him up a la D-Ware.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The Mario standing experiment didn't work the first time, why are we doing this again?

I agree with Matt, this move makes me very nervous. Feels like either desperation or overconfidence.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

FIFY.

1 person likes this.
  12. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

"Best way to get rid of someone is to embarass, dehumanize, and not put them in a position to succeed because of lofty comparisons to others".....actual quote from The Big Aristotle

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

How does this save them money...?

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Resisting the urge to ROTF and LMAO. Saw this coming a mile away. Next up for the BattleRed fanboys: Wade Phillips looking confused and bewildered on the sideline as opposing teams figure out his defensive schemes.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

:(

[​IMG]

and LOL @ Ric.

"methinks thou doth protest too much..."

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They sabotage Mario Williams future FA value with a horrible transitional year?:cool:

I also think this musical chairs of position is just Wade mining for diamonds because Bob won't spend money on outside help.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

But couldn't you say the same thing about Kubiak, Rick Smith, Frank Bush, Dom Capers, and Charlie Casserley? I mean, they're NFL coaches/GM's and we're not. It doesn't change the fact that they've been wrong more than they've been right. Does Wade have more credibility than anyone here? Yes. Does that mean he's always going to make the right decision? Absolutely not. Should he be immune from criticism from fans who think he's making a mistake? Hell no. The team is not always right and with the Texans, they're usually wrong. You can't just step back and defend the team no matter what because you assume they know better.

1 person likes this.
  18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Regardless of it being end or OLB....Wade's 3-4 means we don't get to keep Mario at his position (4-3 RE). His role changes no matter what they do. It's a question of him lining up inside or standing up outside.

I don't think this is going to work out, either way, but I think he's got a much better chance lining up outside and rushing 95% of the time than he does lining up between the tackle and guard and trying to push through them.

I also trust him a hell of a lot more to pick up on sweeps and pitches than Barwin.

19. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I agree, but at least they do too and plan on addressing the issue.

20. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I do hope Wade can coach him up, because when Mario tried to rush from a stand up position before, he wasn't very effective. It makes me skeptical about it working this time.