1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]Looking for Morey? He's working hard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Feb 23, 2011.

1. PeppermintCandy

I wonder how high that draft pick would be. A top 10 could be better than a second-tier impact player.

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

3 all-stars?

When did Scola and Martin make an all-star team?
    Would Wallace have made his 1 all-star team if he wasn't a Bobcat?

In reality, it would be a nucleus of 3 very good, but not great players, that are no longer really young by NBA standards:

Scola turns 31 before next season.
    Wallace turns 29 before next season.
    Martin turns 29 during next season.

All have hit their ceilings. This team would probably win 45+ games, but would likely not get past the first round of the playoffs without some real strong help at the 5.

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Last seasons deadline, Phoenix didn't want to agree to Amare getting a physical. Morey passed. Battier and Scola were offered I believe.

A lot of people believe, and I'm surprised the writer didn't mention, that Stoudamire just didn't want to come to Houston.

4. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Potentially high pick, plus an impact player. That would be a decent haul, but I wouldn't be excited.

Now, if he only gets one of those, or only a decent center, I'm going to be depressed. He should at least shuffle things around so we don't have so many players at the 2-3-4 (and upgrade SF), swap AB for somebody with a better attitude and more defense. Also, getting an additional 1st-rounder would be nice.

5. davids2004

davids2004 Member

Nothing is going to happen. From reading all the stuff about the Rockets and no one seeming to want to deal with them. This is going to be just a big disappointing trade deadline. When nothing happens I am going to tell everyone I told you so.

Again we are getting nothing.

6. rocketsmetalspd

Man too many excuses and the writer helping the cause. Time to see what Morey is really made of. Toughen up and get something done.

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Looks like the setup man is on the mound. Now, the writer is just waiting until after the deadline to send out the closer and explain why the Rockets did not make a move

8. eman

eman Contributing Member

Lee, Pat, Mr. Hayes, Ish, and Battier-- for various reasons, I hope we'll keep these guys. I might be a little disappointed to lose anyone else on the roster, but I'll get over it. Poor Morey: Not a great year for draft picks, and no saviors available-- not for our entire roster.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's no NBA season next year. I'm hoping the world will survive 2012. Here's to your 2013 Houston Rockets! I'd love to see Kyrie Irving, Courtney Lee, Danny Granger, Patrick Patterson, and... Yao Ming starting on opening night. Keep hope alive.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The impact player is Gerald Wallace. The potential high pick is a low first rounder for Lee. I'm wondering if there is combo trade with Chicago and Charlotte where we send Lee/Hill to Chicago, and expirings and Brooks to Charlotte, and get back Asik plus Charlotte's pick unprotected????? Probably not as Charlotte it appears Charlotte is wanting to move out their best players so they can start the tank tank tank. But something like the above with the possibility of a pick swap yielding us the highest of our pick swap or Charlotte's pick would be an interesting possibility. I'd love to have a shot at Irving or Derrick Williams in the draft.

10. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Too little, too late. I like our players like the next guy but it seems like we're always lagging behind. When teams make big moves, we make a small move. When we finally have an Artest, we let him walk. When we need a back-up center, we need 3 years to get one and then probably not the best one etc.

11. javajoe

javajoe Member

"...Budinger, Brooks and Jordan Hill - haven't enhanced their value this season."

So true.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Starting to look like lip service to me. The fans have been sold all this CRAP about "assets" & "flexibility" before. Turns out nobody's buying what Morey's selling so far. Its just starting to look like TOO MANY DAMN excuses. :mad:

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not saying Morey will pull off a great trade or just something subtle, but he said that everyone's playing poker right now, trying to get the best deal.

Doesn't that mean he's playing poker, too? Hell, if he even gave us a whiff of hope, Mark Cuban would jump on the deal quicker than a bum on a baloney sandwich.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

one thing to keep in mind, the houston front office barely leaks anything, there's about half a dozen teams whose front office is like a sieve for information,

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Exactly.. not only did Amare's agent tell the Houston front office that he would not sign an extension with Houston, but Phoenix also would not agree to a pre-trade physical, which is usually standard on any trade. Red flag maybe??

At the trade deadline last season, the Rockets were still in the playoff hunt but it was far too risky to give up Scola and Battier at that point given they were right around .500 in a playoff race that would require at least 50 wins to get in.

Richard Justice is just looking hard for a reason to find a bad move Morey has made, and that one is NOT a bad move.

16. herro

herro Member

I think we have to gut the roster for draft picks today and tomorrow AM...

It's difficult to stomach, but it's the best move for the franchise.

Maaaaaaybe a Thabeet/Mayo deal.

Give Chicago Lee for 2 Firsts if you can get it...

Give Memphis what they want for Thabeet + Mayo

Give Battier and Jeffries to anyone for draft picks...

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Seriously even if Morey gets us nothing special but gets rid of those 3, I would still bne satisified. Our team will take 3 steps forward with the removal of those 3 horrible escuses for NBA players.

Under 14 hours left.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Given the talent in this draft, jordan may only want top 5 protection, realistically this draft after pick 5 is about as good as non lottery last year.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

blow

it

up.

We're irrelevant. We've been irrelevant for way too long now. Give me something to look forward to...some sort of hope for something to come. Building around this mediocre core isn't the way to go. Move along...

20. brosef

brosef Member

actually there is over 24 hrs left....