1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]Kid sent home because of Rockets Logo shaved on his head

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, May 13, 2009.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's a stupid rule.

The way to beat the rule...is for every kid to shave the ROckets logo on their head and get sent home, making a mockery of the rule.

The best way to fight an unjust rule is to make a mockery of it.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, kind of shock at the uproar. I'm not saying I agree. But we had dress codes and hair codes back when I went to high school in the 80's. I remember a classmate of mine had a mustache and long hair below his shoulders. The school said he had to cut it. He and his parents protested and eventually took him out of the school to protest. He went to another school. He went on to Caltech and became an astrophysicist, graduated with honors from there and eventually got his Ph.D.... so he has that going for him, I guess...

He still has the same long hair and mustache, and still looks like a hippy, too... :D

3. swhwong

swhwong Contributing Member

wow.. i'm surprise at all the freedom American student has. In my high school (in Malaysia), if you sport long hair (for boys) or any unusual haircut, the school prefect would cut your hair for you.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

every school district is different, this specific for that city's school district.
    also public schools and private schools are different too.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

wow, has anyone actually seen the cut?

http://www.39online.com/news/local/kiah-rockets-haircut-story,0,1216802.story

i thought he had gone bald or with a hawk and then got the design also, THAT may be distracting, but he's got a very kid-like fade and that's not going to distract anyone.

This is what pisses me off...how mayn of us havent seen a kid with this same type of haircut with baldspots due to a bad haircut, some kid could have lines all over because of that and look similar to this and he probably wouldnt get in any trouble, and that would be less neat than this design.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

^^LOL @ the writing on tmac's face, can anyone make out what it says, i cant only make out half...

7. huflungpu

huflungpu Member

[​IMG]

A Francis fan, apparently.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Looks like it says "I got a headache... put me on the DL". LOLOL

9. Htown57

Htown57 Member

If this is in fact a public school (and I'm not sure if it is or not), then he can wear whatever the hell he wants.

Tinker v . Des Moines Independent School District is the ruling law on this. The Supreme Court upheld the right of students to wear black armbands to protest the vietnam war.

The more recent cases where the students WERE censored (one involving an obscene speech, the other the infamous "bonghitz4jesus" case) both ruled that the aim of the speech was to be disruptive/obscene, and thus it was unproductive, apolitical speech.

Showing allegiance to a sports team is hardly an attempt at obscene disruption, so this would fall under Tinker's precedent.

So basically what I'm saying is that if he sued, he'd win. Ron should pay his legal fees. :D :D

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it's Hamilton Middle i believe, a public school

11. Im Just Sayin

Im Just Sayin Member

Yeah some districts can be strict of the dress code

That's too bad for that kid he couldn't rock his cut as school

12. YaoforPrez

YaoforPrez Member

i will offer to do this kid's homework for the rest of the year if i see him at the game tomorrow. F his school

13. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm a high school principal in a pretty big district and as we speak we are going over our Code of conduct which involves hairstyles and colors. I'm all for leave the kids alone if they are not a problem and their hair is not a distraction. I don't care if they pierce their whole face up as long as they are out of my office and not causing any problems in the school especially the classroom, heres where the problem comes in. Its usually not the school districts who have this problem its the community the parents and old teachers who need to retire. I'm putting in a big vote for allowing students to listen to their Ipods why they are working as long as it is not too loud and as long as the teacher says its okay ! I'm a very liberal person and in the school system its hard for me to be a conservative but the politics in education are ridiculous. I have some really tough kids in my school but they respect me even when I'm tough on them and they all know Mr. H loves the Rockets all you have to do is walk in my office and see for yourself ;)

14. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Hear, hear. Ridiculous.

15. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

what amazes me is that the parents could care less about their childs education. i mean its always kid vs school now its parent and kid vs school.

i realize its the rockets but you have to follow the rules. i mean compared to education, rockets playoffs are just a game. cant see how these parents just sit back and let their kid stay home.

what would the dad do if at work they banned his hairstyle, would he quit? stay home?

16. StevieCrossover

Freaking "administers" doing this because they're the Lakers fan!

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Well, like the dad said, it's the end of the school year, they have what, like 2 weeks left? When i was in school, especially middle school, that last month was party time basically.....but i think it's an honest mistake, how many of us would have checked the school manual for it prior to the cut? How many of us would have thought the design would be seen as not neat or clean?

If the dad has the kid shave his hair off, then i think that would create a much bigger distraction than the current design.

18. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

What would have happened if the kid was a Laker fan and put that logo in his head??

Would he be allowed to keep it for fear of offending the "minority" or his fan position?

19. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I don't get a lot of rules from school.

How is a Rockets symbol shaved into your head distracting?

How is wearing a hat in class distracting?

How are shorts "dangerous"?

20. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Public schools have gotten bad lately. Mine is much worse than this.