1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Justice: Alexander willing to roll dice on coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by denniscd, Apr 12, 2011.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If Alexander dumps Adelman, I might dump Alexander.

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i think what a lot of people dont notice is the fact that morey mades trades at times and rick doesnt play them. its like alexander wants to be in rebuilding mode while trying to make the playoffs.

I mean thabeet? Really, youre gonna pay a 7'2" stiff 5 million dollars per year? Why even make the trade. If you want to give chase the starting job then just send shane to the bench. and yes that pick we got from memphis is worthless.

3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

This is the reason Dallas stays competitive and we're always lottery bound. Les is trying to save $$$ while all the top NBA teams are spending $$$. We are going to suck for that next 5-10 years and Les and Morey are fine with that because we'll be under the luxury tax. No way Adelman should walk

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In all honesty, I am getting a bit tired of Les Alexander. I keep hearing about how he wants to win, and he will hold people accountable, and will pay the Luxury tax to win.

Yet, the truth seems to contradict that, this year the Rox paid Lux tax for the first time in their history, and it was a very small amount, still they paid it.

But when you look a little bit deeper at their bottom line, looking at the perceived Net, they really didn't pay as the $8 million dollar insurance payment for Yao's contract covered whatever they paid in Luxury tax by about 4 fold.

So, sure, they paid a million or so, but that was because they were getting 8 million back...

For me, I see a guy who wants to win, and his employees saying he will do anything to win, but that seems like PR spin, when the reality of the situation seems different.

Rick Adelman has done an amazing job, with a group of mostly low first round picks and some 2nd rounders....

And if the organization is going to go the cheap route, by not hiring a coach or bringing one back because they don't want to pay one during the lockout, that again looks to me like a cheap move.

They should keep Adelman, they got the offense they want, and he has been an excellent defensive coach before when he got the players.....

I am happy with the coach, and the GM, but getting more and more tired of the owner who doesn't seem to be all about winning as has been reported, and is more bottom line oriented...IMO.

Personally, I hope they bring Rick back......and if not, I would love to see a new owner.

Just my .02

DD

5. dartherus

dartherus Member

After the trade deadline, and having a ballhog & chemistry-killer like Brooks shipped, didn't the FO notice HOW WELL THE ROCKETS PLAYED?

Are they aware how difficult is to build up chemistry?
    How much does it take that an entire roster get used to play with a coach style?

After such chemistry is built, the style is learned by the players, now the FO will decide that's it's better to gamble with a young unproven trainer?

Did they notice how the 'old' Adelman let unknown young players like Landry, Lowry, even Brooks or 2pat flourish under him?
    Did they notice how high players like that were drafted?

Can't they see the difference between letting young players play just because they're young, and letting they play ONLY WHEN THEY EARN IT?

Don't you see that the required mental toughness is really gotten when young players have to EARN their playing time?

Instead of searching a Defensive REAL C, they prefer to get rid of a HOF coach to gamble with a 'young' coach, just because such new coach, will let young players get minutes, even if they didn't earn it?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

BTW - if they do get rid of Adelman that means that Les has gotten rid of:

Rudy T
    JVG
    & Adelman

All of which are really good coaches, maybe the problem isn't the coaching?

DD

1 person likes this.
  7. dartherus

dartherus Member

Rockets HAVE THE TALENT TO COMPETE if you notice what happened after the trade deadline, check the record EVEN WITHOUT A REAL C.

Now the latest games, without Lowry&Scola are being lost, I mean check the games while both of them were still healthy.

Can you imagine this very same roster, at lest with a real C, even if no Superstar is gotten?

Can you imagine with the chemistry built up, the players with the system learned, and no ballhog or chemistry killer, and no 0-5 start in 2013?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That kind of thinking is very shortsighted. If you don't have a good coaching staff ready for contention WHILE you are building, it's gonna be too late to look for a good coach when you do get the elite players you need. Look at Cleveland.

9. dartherus

dartherus Member

In 2012, my mistake....but think about it.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I thought Rudy T retired due to cancer?

11. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Were a young team looking to strike gold on new talent (since no star wants to sign here) Rick is just not the man for the job altough he has done his job in terms of wins but falling short of the playoffs resulting in low draft picks this gona keep us in mediocrity as long as he is here, coaching aside we dont have one player that can carry us on his shoulders and wheel us to victory or a playoff series or a championship or at leat put us in a good position on any of the above for the coach to work his magic, we have so many high potential guys not getting played/developed its best if we jump on this and move on..... Unless we sign a STAR player in the offseason.

1 person likes this.
  12. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

I've been generally supportive of Alexander, but I would be infuriated and would hope he leaves if he got rid of Adelman really "just because".

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

See ya Rick! Take Brad Miller with you.

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think this is probably the case. Rick didn't seem pleased with some of the trades we made this year, and so I think Rick and Morey want to take the team in different directions.

Acquiring T-Will turned out to be a pain in the neck for Rick, and trading away Battier wasn't popular with Rick as we were trying to make a playoff run. So, I don't see this as a money issue, I just think Rick and Morey aren't on the same page as far as personnel decisions.

15. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

lets get anew coach, we are a young team and we need a young coach.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would have to disagree about the shortsighted approach to hiring another coach, and heres my thoughts on why Alexander/Morey are looking at possibly making the coaching change

-The Future- Lets all be honest here. Adelman is in his mid 60's. Even if he wants to come back another year or two, when he leaves, what happens then? With a young group forming that will likely be the nucleaus going forward, why not go with a younger coach who can grow with this group. Even if it costs some wins here and now, the new coach will be here to stay.

This is why in the Dick Justice article the "unnamed source" cited that they are looking for the next Gregg Popovich. Meaning they want a franchise coach who can be the face of the franchise for 10 to 15 seasons. Adelman will not be that guy for the future even if he is great now. Which leads to my next point.

-Timing- With a lockout looming, this gives the organization time and lack of pressure to find who they are looking for, and give time to establish their plans for the future, and approach to coaching and developing their players.

-Financial??- In a post above DD makes a valid argument questioning Les Alexander's motives financially in regards to winning. I see the argument, but I disagree that he does not really care about winning to the extent where he will not spend to get there.

I just consider Les as a very smart businessman who did get where he is today by throwing away money. Actually, I could see Les as being the type of Billionaire who still shops at WalMart and drinks 99 cent coffee from McDonalds. Ok, maybe not that cheap, he at least has expensive sunglasses he wears indoors at night to Rockets games.

Im not saying that Les is throwing money away by re-signing an established coach again in Rick Adelman, but if the change is going to be made eventually, and the "Timing" is right to look for the coach of the future, then why spend the money now???

Why not look for the next great coach and pay them in the future when they have proved they lead this team to a title? Adelman has done a great job squeezing a few more wins out of the current roster of late 1st round picks and 2nd round picks, but its going to take some exporation, and demonstrative thinking in the future to take a chance at losing a few games potentially to find the next great coach for the future while the front office finds the next great player for the future.

*With that being said, this is possibly the best thing for Rick as well if he wants to coach for another year or two. Given teams like New York, LA, and Boston will be heavily pursueing his services next season potentially, and he can finally have a shot at the finals again.

1 person likes this.
  17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

He did. But for some reason some people around here choose to believe he still could have coached and Les fired him. Why they still think that after Rudy returned to coaching and couldn't even finish a full year, I have no idea.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Rick is a great coach.

But I agree with Les.

But keeping him would stifle the rebuilding of this team.

It's time to look to the future.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

look at it this way,

Les shocked everyone when he didn't hire Dennis Lindsey as the new GM and went with the Newbie Daryl Morey.

We could be getting the Morey of Basketball coaches soon.

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Don't you mean the Art Howe of basketball coaches?