1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Journeymen make a case

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Manila, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Manila

Manila Member

don't know if this was previously posted

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/rox/3610594.html

Journeymen make a case
    Hodgepodge bench plays key role for Rockets

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A year ago, Lonny Baxter was in Greece, hoping for one more shot at the NBA. A month ago, John Lucas III was in Tulsa. A week ago, Chuck Hayes was in Albuquerque.

Mix in rookie Luther Head, and that's the Rockets' bench, four guys who were far from the NBA last season and that the Rockets had little or no intention of playing this season.

With that, the Rockets have the mixture of going from a who's-who starting lineup of veterans to a "who's-he" bench.

That could change when members of the Rockets' collection of seven injured or ill players return.

Ryan Bowen, who left Sunday's game with an irregular heartbeat, could be cleared to play tonight against the Charlotte Bobcats, and Stromile Swift is expected to be back soon from conjunctivitis.

Ranks thinned
    But with the Rockets' ranks thinned so greatly and with Yao Ming, Derek Anderson, Jon Barry and Bob Sura not expected back this month, the Rockets will not only have to play but rely on rookies and 10-day contract apprentices.

"It doesn't mean they can't play well and can't impact the game," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "We're going to need them to play well."

... They seemed to have gotten that message Monday, when Baxter and Hayes played most of the fourth quarter together as the Rockets turned a tight game into a blowout of the Bucks. Hayes had 12 rebounds, Baxter 11, and they shut down the lane as the Bucks missed 17 consecutive fourth-quarter shots.

"Their effort out there on the floor, what they did in the fourth quarter, was amazing," forward Juwan Howard said. "They set the tone defensively. They scrapped for every rebound.

"They were talking. I mean, Lonny was talking for the first time on the floor.

"I swear I got goose bumps. They inspired me."

Hayes has been an inspiration. Signed a week ago to a 10-day contract, Hayes averaged 10.3 rebounds off the bench on the three-game road trip.

"The ball doesn't fumble out of his hands," Van Gundy said. "It's not going to be popped away. Contact is not going to make him stumble and drop it.

"He's rebounded on every level he's played. To come from the NBDL to a rotation and help you win is quite a compliment to his intensity, attention to detail and his basketball IQ."

Decisions ahead
    The Rockets will face several decisions Saturday when Lucas' second and Hayes' first 10-day contract expire.

With teams allowed to sign players to no more than two 10-day contracts, the Rockets will have to release Lucas or sign him for the remainder of the season.

With the Rockets only temporarily allowed 16 players on the roster because of their injuries, if they keep Lucas they won't be able to keep Hayes without a trade to trim a player from the roster or taking the least likely option of releasing a player with a guaranteed contract.

The roster exception will be gone as soon as Yao, Sura, Anderson or Barry return, with Yao likely to return within a week or two.

Hayes hits boards
    But Hayes has demonstrated he can do in the NBA what he did at Kentucky and in leading the D-League in rebounding.

"I had confidence I could play on this level and in this atmosphere," Hayes said. "It was just about opportunity.

"Opportunity presented itself here in Houston, and I'm trying to take advantage of it.

"I'm just here to do my part, nothing spectacular, nothing out of the ordinary. I have a role on this team, and that's what I have to do."

On Monday, Head missed all six of his attempts, but otherwise improved his recent play.

Lucas also made several strong plays; Baxter and Hayes were keys to the win.

"We hit the boards hard, and went at them defensively," Baxter said. "When we get in there, we try to make an impact any way we can."

If they can do that consistently, they might do something even more difficult than their road to the NBA. They could stay there.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets Summary

Yao closer
    The Rockets are unlikely to get any of their seven players out with injury or illness back for tonight's game against the Charlotte Hornets, but help could be coming.

Center Yao Ming, out since Dec. 18, went through a rigorous practice with Lonny Baxter, Chuck Hayes, John Lucas III and Luther Head on Tuesday and will be examined again Friday. Rockets trainer Keith Jones said Yao could be back next week.

Ryan Bowen, who left Sunday's game in Detroit with an irregular heartbeat, could be cleared in time for today's game, but could be held out pending one more examination Thursday.

Stromile Swift, who has missed the past eight games with a severe case of conjunctivitis, also could be back, depending on the results of a medical exam.

40-40 club
    With 43 points in Detroit on Sunday and 41 in Milwaukee on Monday, Tracy McGrady topped 40 in consecutive games for the first time with the Rockets, making better than half his shots in consecutive games for the first time this season.

With 40 or more points tonight against the Charlotte Bobcats, he would be the first Rockets player since Moses Malone in 1982 to reach 40 in three consecutive games. Malone did it twice that season.

"I'm in a nice rhythm right now," McGrady said. "It feels good to be back healthy, being back here with my guys competing.

"It's a great feeling from where I started out in the beginning, dealing with my back injury. These last three games I've felt better than I felt before. I'm playing with a great deal of confidence."

JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

So, noboby is coming back tomorrow like Bill Worrell said :rolleyes:

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Charlotte Hornets! :p

*At least it looks like Tracy and Yao will both be back to represent us at the ASG.

4. parlaynhustle

parlaynhustle Contributing Member

they said it could be swift coming back for weds game...

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

"The ball doesn't fumble out of his hands," Van Gundy said. "It's not going to be popped away. Contact is not going to make him stumble and drop it.

"He's rebounded on every level he's played. To come from the NBDL to a rotation and help you win is quite a compliment to his intensity, attention to detail and his basketball IQ."

Not to start anything or read into anything too much, but boy, that sure sounds like a thinly veiled swipe at either Yao or Stro.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Definitely seems like a swipe at Stro to me.

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yes it does and it's not untrue either.

8. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Got reading comprehension?

"Ryan Bowen, who left Sunday's game with an irregular heartbeat, could be cleared to play tonight against the Charlotte Bobcats, and Stromile Swift is expected to be back soon from conjunctivitis."

This means Ryan Bowen the way I read it. Swift is a maybe, seems like they imply he'll be a game-to-game type thing.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i hope we can keep hayes and JLIII...which means we'd hafta cut someone.. damn i'd like to cut mooch and keep JL. you think we'll do it?

10. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Lonnie Baxter fumbles the ball. He might a subject of Van Gundy's ire.

11. MykTek

MykTek Member

release Moochie so we can keep JL3!

12. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Release DA. At least Moochie shows up for the games.

13. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I'd rather have a DA who contributes when he's on the floor than a Moochie who shows up and immediately sucks life out of the offense, literally. When last did you see Moochie penetrate to the basket to score or kick out for an open man? Try your best to remember a single occasion when that happened.

14. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I think he did that quite a few times this season.

15. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

Must have been very few times, because the only recollections I have of Moochie is him either dribbling the clock into oblivion or standing around after handing the ball to someone else in a bad position.