1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Jerome Solomon - Olajuwon vs. Shaq

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Jun 17, 2009.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Didn't see it posted but feel free to lock it up it has;

June 16, 2009

Olajuwon vs. Shaq: let's not talk about this again

I can't believe I'm even entertaining this debate.

One reason I don't get into these discussions with many people, is comparing players usually comes across as dissing one, and I don't really diss great players.

I prefer to celebrate greatness.

Shaq is one heck of a basketball player and will end up having a great career.

But I can't believe anybody out there who paid any attention (or has much basketball knowledge) really believes Shaquille O'Neal is a better basketball player than Hakeem Olajuwon.

Seriously?

All they can even remotely argue is that Shaq was a more dominant player. Which is incorrect.

• • •

There is one, and only one, important category in which Shaq tops Olajuwon, and that is in championships. He has won four and Olajuwon won only two.

Generally, we overemphasize the championship element when comparing players.

One way to look at titles when comparing players who played the same position is to determine as best you can (and this is all guesswork, isn't it?) if the team would have won the titles if you sub in the other player.

Shaq gets a full nod for four titles won. That's impressive. Whoop de darn do.

O'Neal didn't win a title that would not have been won if Olajuwon were the center on those teams instead of him. To be fair, I'm pretty sure that the Rockets would have won its two titles with Shaq in the middle instead of Dream.

(I say pretty sure, because that seven-game Finals against the Knicks was so tight that taking a step down from Olajuwon to O'Neal might have made Ewing a champion.)

• • •

Forge that Olajuwon and Russell are the two best defensive centers to ever play the game, and, comparatively, No. 3 is waaay down the chart. (And his name isn't Shaquille O'Neal.)

Forget that for every offensive move Shaq had, Olajuwon had five. Anyway, scoring is scoring, it doesn't matter whether you dream shake or power over a guy for a dunk, two points is two points, so Shaq was an offensive force.

Here is where Shaq is so much less a basketball player than Olajuwon, that we should never talk about it again.

Shaq was swept out of the playoffs six times. SIX times. Swept. And three other times his team won just one game in a series.

How in the world can you be this spectacularly dominant player when in so many years you were erased from the postseason with relative ease?

So the other team is better. Well if you're the best, most dominant player on the court, you step it up and win at least one lousy game. Jeez.

Or you suffer defeat meekly.

It happened to Olajuwon twice. Once to the Lakers in a three-game mini-series in 1991 — Magic scored 38 points in the clincher — and to Seattle, which finished 16 games ahead of the Rockets, in '96 with an overtime finale.

• • •

Did I mention in college basketball? Shaq and Olajuwon each played three seasons.

One dominant player never made it to the Final Four. The other advanced to the Final Four every season.

• • •

Now it is difficult to make too much of Bill Russell' 11 championships in 13 seasons.

One title he didn't win, he was injured — missing two games and playing just the first half of two others — and the Celtics lost to Bob Pettit, Slater Martin and the Hawks 4-2 in the Finals. The other loss came in his first year as player-coach, the Celts' first year without Red Auerbach on the sideline. It came after they had won eight in a row. Not to mention, the 76ers had one of the best seasons of all-time.

And here is a number Bob Ryan, who I have talked about basketball with on many occasions, reminded of yesterday.

Russell played in 21 winner-take-all games (NCAA Tournament games and Game 7s or Game 5s in the NBA playoffs) in his college and NBA careers.

His teams went 21-0.

Oh, his championships mean a heck of a lot.

Posted by Jerome Solomon at June 16, 2009 08:40 AM

http://blogs.chron.com/jeromesolomon/2009/06/olajuwon_vs_shaq_lets_not_talk.html

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

so, according to Solomon, you can't seriously argue that O'Neal was better, you can only argue that he was more dominant?

Let's go to the dictionary:

Main Entry: 1dom·i·nant
    Pronunciation: \-nənt\
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin dominant-, dominans, present participle of dominari
    Date: circa 1532
    1 a: commanding, controlling, or prevailing over all others <the dominant culture> b: very important, powerful, or successful <a dominant theme> <a dominant industry>

So he wasn't better, he just prevailed over all others more, was more important, powerful and more successful - just not better.

3. WinorLoseMate

WinorLoseMate Member

Hakeem may have gotten things done with more finesse, but Shaq is just a powerhouse.

Nice article. Thanks for the read. I may not necessarily agree with everything there but it provided me with more insight.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Shaq was/is a great player. Hakeem was simply better.

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Agreed. Their styles differed but they were both dominant offensively. Hakeem was better defensively and I cant see anyone argue otherwise. Shaq had holes in his game which you could exploit and which has been exploited.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shaq was more dominant from a physical standpoint. He could dominant any other player by simply bulldozing them to the hoop.

Hakeem has more skills and was far more well rounded.

Look at the Categories Hakeem was elite in for any NBA player

Steals
    Blocks

And for centers, he did well in Assists. But he finished top 10 all time in steals!!! Holy cow man. A center? Think of all the great guards and realize Hakeem has more steals!

Hakeem has more agility, more moves, more speed, a better shooting touch, and better hands then Shaq.

I can't believe anyone would pick Shaq over Hakeem. You put Hakeem with the Lakers and he'd have 6 or 7 rings.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Was this a topic of conversation recently in the media? It doesn't make sense to initiate a conversation on this kind of topic and at the same time say, "let's not talk about this again."

I've only seen one poll of a large number of experts on this topic, and it was largely in Shaq's favor. Both are great players, but you have to be blind not to at least acknowledge the case for Shaq:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-GreatestCenters

Henry Abbott, TrueHoop.com (HA)
    Greg Anthony, NBA analyst (GA)
    Andrew Ayres, ESPN.com NBA editor (AA)
    Jon Barry, NBA analyst (JB)
    Chris Broussard, ESPN The Magazine (CB)
    Ric Bucher, ESPN The Magazine (RB)
    John Hollinger, ESPN.com Insider (JH)
    Scoop Jackson, ESPN.com Page 2 columnist (SJ)
    Tim Legler, NBA analyst (TL)
    Jamal Mashburn, NBA analyst (JM)
    Jim O'Brien, ESPN.com Insider (JO)
    Chris Ramsay, ESPN.com NBA editor (CR)
    Jack Ramsay, NBA analyst (JR)
    Chris Sheridan, ESPN.com Insider (CS)
    Ken Shouler, ESPN.com (KS)
    Marc Stein, ESPN.com senior writer (MS)
    David Thorpe, Scouts Inc. (DT)
    Kiki Vandeweghe, NBA analyst (KV)
    Royce Webb, ESPN.com NBA editor (RW)
    Jeff Weltman, Scouts Inc. (JW)

They were all asked to rank the top 10 centers ... 10 down to to 1 (10 being the best).

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;HA&nbsp;&nbsp;GA&nbsp;&nbsp;AA&nbsp;&nbsp;JB&nbsp;&nbsp;CB&nbsp;&nbsp;RB&nbsp;&nbsp;JH&nbsp;&nbsp;SJ&nbsp;&nbsp;TL&nbsp;&nbsp;JM&nbsp;&nbsp;JO&nbsp;&nbsp;CR&nbsp;&nbsp;JR&nbsp;&nbsp;CS&nbsp;&nbsp;KS&nbsp;&nbsp;MS&nbsp;&nbsp;DT&nbsp;&nbsp;KV&nbsp;&nbsp;RW&nbsp;&nbsp;JW&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Total
    Kareem&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;174
    Wilt&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;173
    Russell&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;168
    Shaq&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;142
    Hakeem&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;130

Moses&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;76
    Walton&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;56
    Robinson&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;51
    Mikan&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;7&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;46
    Ewing&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;--&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;23

#7 durvasa, Jun 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  8. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Pretty homerish but whatever. He can say whatever he wants to, I guess. But we all know that if it was Olajuwon with 4 titles and O'Neal with 2, he'd be arguing that the barometer for greatness is the number of championships won.

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I totally agree with that statement. If L.A. traded for Hakeem in Kareem's declining years, They would have been Showtime for another decade!

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Players who have said Hakeem is better.

1) Michael Jordan - Has played against both.

2) Robert Horry - Has played With and against both.

3) Alonzo Mourning - Has played against both and played with Shaq.

A lot of the the commentators and sportswriters have fallen in love with the "Most dominant" concept and considering this poll was taken during Shaq's era I am would not be surprised at them tilting in Shaq's favour. Offensively I dont see how Shaq was so much better that he can be called most dominant. Defensively Olauwon is far better. Hakeem in playoffs was a completely different animal. Stats show this.

It would be stupid not to acknowledge the case for Shaq. I just havent come across convincing explanations or reasoning why Shaq is better to sway my mind and I say this as a basketball fan of both players.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

They were both pretty good, but I know who I would take at the end of the game.

However many of solomon's arguments are weak. He talks about shaq not taking his teams to the final four, well those cougar teams were pretty good even w/o hakeem. Also shaq played 60 more playoff games and they both have similar playoff stats.

I thin hakeem was better, but I hate blind homerism articles.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Yeah, Solomon's writing and the arguments he used are pretty bad.

Arguments I would use are:

1) Shaq's refusal to defend pick and roll
    2) Shaq's poor FT shooting liability in closing moments of the game. Kobe has saved Shaq a number of times.
    3) A lot for versatility from Hakeem on offense and defense.
    4) Hakeem was a much better on the ball and off the ball defender
    5) Hakeem faced better competition and out dueled his center contemporaries in playoffs.
    6) As good as Hakeem was in regular season, his playoff numbers were even better across the board, on offense as well as defense.
    7) Shaq had flaws in his game which could be exploited. Hakeem did not have any such glaring deficiency in his game .

1 person likes this.
  13. FR0497

FR0497 Member

+1. You can also add in there Shaq's lack of an offensive arsenal. Honestly I really like Shaq but to say he's better than Hakeem is a stretch.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's a tough call but to me it's a bit like the Lebron vs. Kobe comparison.

If I need a guy who is physically unstoppable and who can show up on almost any team and make it a contender then I go with Shaq (Lebron). If I need a guy with unparalleled skills (but who is less dominant physically) to show up in a big game and take whatever assignment is necessary to win whether it be score 40 points or guard the opposing team's best player as well as be able to ice the game down the stretch then I pick Dream (Kobe).

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to Solomon, you could remotely argue that O'Neal was more dominant and that argument would be wrong.

"All they can even remotely argue is that Shaq was a more dominant player. Which is incorrect."

16. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Hakeem > Shaq. Hakeem was an over all better player skilled wise. He could shoot the mid range jumper with the best of them, he had amazing quick foot work, his dream shake was unstoppable, he could run after a fast break and get the weak side block ask Rod Strickland...

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Namely the Lakers would likely not have broken up. Shaq's ego was too big next to Kobe's ego. I think Dream could have lived with Kobe being the leading scorer/star.

18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

First he says number of championships do not matter, and then he mentiones the amount of times Hakeem made it to the final four in the NCAA. That is not being consistent.

That being said, IMHO, shaq was the better offensive player, But Hakeen was the better defensive player. And Hakeems offense was much better than Shaq's defense. Furthermore Shaq couldn't hit a clutch free throw to safe his life, so that made him pretty useless in crunch time. So overal Hakeem was the better player.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Russell is so overated.

DD

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

One argument is very strong, and that's the one about Shaq being swept 6 times, and only getting 1 win 3 times. That is a telling stat, considering all the help Oneal has been blessed with during his career. The only players who have had it better are Russell, Magic & Bird. If you are truly so dominant then there is no excuse to get sent home so early 9 times when you have never really been on a bat team, outside of your rookie year.