1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Jeff Leaves Decision with Alexander

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, May 17, 2007.

1. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Chron.com

The ball is in Rockets' court, says Van Gundy
    Coach takes playoff job with ABC and ESPN, leaves his fate to Alexander, Morey

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

While Jeff Van Gundy was enthusiastic and upbeat Wednesday about his new job — working NBA playoff games on ABC and ESPN as a guest analyst beginning Friday — he was considerably more guarded about his future as coach of the Rockets, saying the final word rests with team owner Leslie Alexander and general manager Daryl Morey.

A day after it was reported the Rockets have spoken with Rick Adelman about coaching the team if Van Gundy does not return for the final year of his contract, Van Gundy several times declined to express his plans and wishes about coaching in Houston next season.

"I've really enjoyed my four years," he said. "I loved the guys I coached, and I've been real appreciative of the opportunities given. But as far as trying to guess what I'm going to do, I would rather defer comment to Les and Daryl about when they're going to finalize their decision about how they want to proceed forward."

He said Morey and Alexander "know how I feel, and whatever they decide is best for the organization, I'm fine with it."

"I'd rather reflect on the good part of the four years," Van Gundy said. "I've really, really enjoyed it. I like Houston as a city. I plan to make it my home for a long time, and I've really enjoyed the guys I've been able to coach and the coaches I've been able to work with.

"What happens next — that's for them to decide, and I understand that, and I'm fine with it. ... Whatever he (Alexander) thinks is best for the team, I'll live with that."

Morey on Tuesday said Van Gundy has "been open all along to coming back" and "has been a part of the process" in the resolution of the Rockets' coaching plans for next season.

Next season is the last on Van Gundy's contract as Rockets coach, but his salary is not guaranteed. He can terminate the contract up to three days after the end of the NBA season.

Van Gundy's comments came in the wake of Wednesday's announcement of his playoff duties with ABC and ESPN, beginning with Game 6 of the Suns-Spurs series Friday in San Antonio. He will work with Mike Breen, a friend and colleague dating to his days with the Knicks, and Mark Jackson, whom he coached in New York and Houston.

Network officials said Van Gundy will work through the Western Conference finals but that it has not been decided if he will contribute to ABC's NBA Finals coverage.

"Jeff is the perfect addition to our broadcast team," said Norby Williamson, ESPN's executive vice president for studio and remote production. "In his previous work on television, he showed he is a great communicator who can clearly break down the game in a simple and entertaining fashion."

Van Gundy joked about appearing in front of ESPN's high-definition cameras — "I would say the more definition for me, the less appealing," he quipped — and said the uncertainty about his future with the Rockets will not affect his on-camera work.

"I have no problem compartmentalizing the broadcasting situation," he said.

Van Gundy debuted as a broadcaster with TNT during the 2001-02 season. He also worked for TNT in 2002-03 and called playoff games for the network in 2005. He would not speculate on his future as a broadcaster beyond his current role with ESPN and ABC.

"I try to enjoy everything as it comes," he said."I really enjoy coaching, although maybe sometimes it doesn't look that way."

david.barron@chron.com

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Here we go again with the public blattering between JVG and the Rockets.

The Rockets: "We are waiting on Jeff to decide".

JVG: "I'm waiting on them to decide".

Both have decided they will not accept the others' terms and it's over.

3. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I like JVG as a coach. His dedication, loyalty to players and defensive mentality are what made him a good coach.

Plus, he hasn't been dealt the best hand. However, four years are a long time in this business to prove oneself. The fact is, the Rockets has had championship aspirations for a long time, and they built a team for it. Yet, we are still a first round exit. As the coach of the team, he has to take responsibilities.

It's time to move on. A sad truth.

4. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!! I'M ALREADY EMOTIONALLY UNSTABLE AS IT IS!!! :eek: :( :eek: :(

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Once he took a job on TV I knew it was over. He never did this any other season.

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Interesting, so is is it Adelman time :confused: :eek: :confused:

7. Triplicate

Triplicate Contributing Member

Incorrect. He did color commentary on some playoff games last year.

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

this is about strategy. Van Gundy says I'm done he looks stupid and a quitter. If Les says Van Gundy is done than Van Gundy looks like a hero and Les is the bad guy.

9. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Wow this is like ping-pong both sides going at it back and forth. Will any of these guys stop for a second realize they are both wrong?

I think JVG is not going to have some good words to say about Les Alexander when he goes over to ABC and make the commentary booth his new home.

This drama is getting out of hand much like the Larry Brown fallout from the Knicks. A lot of he said/I said going on.

10. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

Van Gundy is too smart. Right now he's going to stay mum. Wherever he ends up he might have a few choice words for management after he's gone. However, as a tactician, I believe Van Gundy will say only a few things. Unless his emotions get the better of him and he just vents like he did about the officiating of Yao Ming. This however is different and I think that Jeff is smart enough not to say anything.

11. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

At the end of the day, all the uncertainty between JVG and Les will only affect (in a negative way) three entities. The players, the fans and the organisation. I hope that the person(s) who is (are) stalling on the decision can realise that and clear the air up as soon as possible.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I completly agree. I really Like JVG as a coach, I loved it when we got him. However he has had 4 years, and for some reason it didn't work out like we tought it would. Sadly we have to move on.

And if that is the case i hope JVG will coach another team and that he is succesfull with them.

13. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

Is it possible that they co-exist. Adelman has head coach and JVG as an assisant.

JVG: Defensive Coordinator.

Adelman: Offensive Coordinator.

Hell, I know this isn't football but look at the spurs (Popavich and Carlisimo) and the mavs (Johnson and Harris)

Supposedly Morey and JVG have beef, but COULD THIS HAPPEN? :confused:

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

From the article:
    and:
    It sounds like Jeff has made it clear that he is willing to come back, and the ball is in the Rockets' court.

15. YaoMac111

YaoMac111 Member

If JVG can be more flexible, more open-minded, I'd like to see him stay as head coach.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Gundy knows full well that Les wont re-hire him so he is trying to make les look like the the bad guy..he's trying to say i want to be back, but those guys will not re-hire me. this guy dosent want to be back, but he is have a last departing pot shot at les...

17. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Others have said that Jeff coming back is conditioned upon certain changes he wants made to the roster and how Les and the front office operate. I think this is still the case, and the quotes in this article seem to indicate that there is a willingness for Jeff to come back, but it leaves out the conditions.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Back and forth we go....

It has been decided, but the settlement has not been reached.

The Rockets can not do anything until June 30th unless JVG resigns.....and he is saying "I ain't resigning".......forcing Les to be the bad guy.

If Les doesn't want to look like the bad guy, he will have to buyout JVG's contract....and they can split amicably.....

One thing is certain, it is over.

DD

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

This link is to a few days old article that's already been posted but I thought this part might have been overlooked.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4808210.html

When is the end of the NBA season, the day the last Finals game is played? Maybe both parties are restricted by certain contract conditions from saying anything until then?

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I would not say so

I think he already told Les what he expects or what he wants for the next season, and Les is just going to decline that and go with a new team structure...It's clear that Les wants something else with the team...this is really stupid going back and forth, because Les obviously does not want the Gundy plan....