1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] James game no slam dunk

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4018698.html

July 2, 2006, 12:18AM
    James game no slam dunk
    Rockets' cap issues make sign-and-trade deal a possibility

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets moved a few steps closer to bringing Mike James back to Houston, but they also got a pretty good idea of how far they need to go.

The Rockets began the free-agency period at 11:01 p.m. Friday with coach Jeff Van Gundy ringing the bell at James' house in Houston while general manager Carroll Dawson called James' agent, Bill Duffy.

The only hitch was that James, whose workout ran late, was not there when Van Gundy reached James' door. But the two did visit a short time later.

"Everybody has an open mind," Duffy said. "From what I was told, they had a very good talk."

The Rockets have made their preference for the 31-year-old James clear, and James has been unusually outspoken about his interest in playing for the Rockets again. But putting them together won't be that simple.

Duffy said the Rockets are one of "numerous teams" that have already reached out to James. Duffy would not specify who else is interested. Atlanta, one of just five teams with cap space, is believed to be pursuing the 6-2 guard.

The Rockets are over the cap. Barring a sign-and-trade deal with James' current team (the Raptors), the Rockets can offer only their mid-level exception, expected to begin at roughly $5 million.

The Hawks are targeting several point guards and are especially interested in veterans such as James, Speedy Claxton or Sam Cassell as opposed to younger prospects such as Marcus Banks. Especially in a short-term contract, they have the spending room to offer more than the Rockets.

Asked if James was open to the mid-level exception, Duffy said, "That's going to be up to Mike James. Right now, he's just keeping an open mind."

But the Rockets can try to work a sign-and-trade with the Raptors using their $4.2 million trade exception.

The Raptors are unlikely to want contracts back, making the Rockets' trade exception a potential advantage because in a sign-and-trade deal, the Rockets can offer 12.5 percent annual raises, as opposed to the 8 percent raises permitted in free-agent deals.

"It's a concept to consider," Duffy said. "We haven't gotten there yet. A sign-and-trade is something we could pursue."

Duffy said that as much as James would like to play in Houston, he also wants to consider his options before making a decision in about two weeks.

Players cannot sign free-agent contracts until July 12.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm not a HUGE Mike James advocate myself, but if we could get him with the TE, and then sign a worthwhile big 2 or a solid 4 (Gooden?) with our MLE, I think you'd have to call this a good offseason, Gay trade or no Gay trade.

3. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

TE:

4.2M+4.7M+5.3M+5.9M+6.7M=26.9M(12.5% increase per year)

MLE

5.0M+5.4M+5.8M+6.3M+6.8M=29.3M(8% increase per year)

It's only 2.4M difference if supposed we offer a 5-year contract.

But I doubt Toronto will do it without having anything back.

4. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

good stuff, do the right thing Mike...prove to everyone else that Mike James is not that guy looking to get payed.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Maybe 2nd-rounders, given that they're obviously prepared to just let him walk anyhow?

6. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

No to Gooden. Ive seen a Gooden and JHo rotation at PF and it was miserable at Orlando.

Gooden has a high motor and has the tools to be a solid rebounder and shot blocker, not to mention good range on his shot... its just that he has the bball IQ of highschool cheerleader. Why else was he on the block all season in Cleveland?

Assuming we get James with via SNT, I would pursue Greg Buckner and Elson with the MLE.

PG: Mike James | Rafer Alston | Daniel Gibson
    SG: Greg Buckner | David Wesley | Luther Head
    SF: Tracy McGrady | Steve Novak | Bobby Sura
    PF: Shane Battier | Juwan Howard | Chuck Hayes
    CN: Yao Ming | Francisco Elson | Dikembe Mutombo

7. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

No matter what's your choice,please let us know ASAP.

Dont use it for leverage.

We dont have too much time waiting for you.

There are already a couple of FA signings happened on the first day.

8. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

The Raptors are unlikely to want contracts back, making the Rockets' trade exception a potential advantage because in a sign-and-trade deal, the Rockets can offer 12.5 percent annual raises, as opposed to the 8 percent raises permitted in free-agent deals.

Sounds like a steal if we could use the TE for him but I'm not too sure how willing he would be to this since he's already above MLE value on the market. Even the extra 4.5%/yr increase over 5 years would make up for his possible MLE earnings. But it would sure help to save that MLE to get some more depth.

9. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Wizzy

Prove to everyone that you will refuse your pachecks from now on

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

If Hawks were willing to offer Sam 13m over 2 years. Rockets will need to work out a S&T deal involving Juwan in order to give him at least 6m/year.

11. savethepigs

savethepigs Member

I'm assuming if we do the TE, which is 4.2M, it's much better because don't the rules say the trade must be within 125% plus 100K, or something like that, meaning he probably could get 5M+ plus 12.5% increases?

12. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I sure hope we have a contingency plan. I'm thinking MJ goes to the Hawks with a big deal.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

A player who's contract is negotiated in a S&T can appreciate annually by 10.5% whereas normally contracts can increase by 8%.
    For e.g in a S&T with the 4.2TE, MJ could get 4.2m 1st year, 4.6 2nd year,...

In other news:
    60m/4yrs -Big Ben
    60m/5yrs -Peja
    30m/5yrs -Radmanovic
    24m/4yrs -Tim Thomas
    13m/2yrs -Sam I Am

4.2m for James isn't going to happen.

14. savethepigs

savethepigs Member

No, but remember that little rule as well: Teams trading over the cap must be within 125% plus 100K in order to deal. Thank you for reminding me about the new rules, yes it is 10.5% increase, but it doesn't have to be 4.2M starting, does it?

15. hooroo

hooroo Member

If Houston used their 4.2m TE in a S&T deal with Toronto to get MJ, MJ's salary has to be within 100% plus or minus 100k of the 4.2m, since it only involves a single player. So hypotheically his salary could start at 4.3m.

16. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I'm absolutely convinced that the Chronicle is now a hack paper. Bums. They want us to sign a homeless man to a max deal. He's a veteren of the streets and knows what it takes to be hungry and thus a JVG player.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

This kills the already highly unlikely S&T trade scenario involving Juwan for James...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...ageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home
    Garbajosa is a 6-7 forward-center from Euroland.

Ford, Williams, Calderon
    MoPete, PJ Tucker
    Bargnani, Graham
    Bosh, Garbajosa, Humphries
    Nestorovic

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Since Toronto would be re-signing its own free agent (then trading him to us), can't the contract be for six years? This would allow a 6 year, $35 million deal?

See #19, #76 of the Salary Cap FAQ:

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

6 years if using the Larry Bird Exception which James does not qualify for.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for breaking that out. I was hoping someone would do that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with the S&T one can add an "extra year" to the end of the contract versus a straight out MLE acception. Teams can always resign their own players for an extra year. To me the "extra year" is huge in terms of the contracts value to the player. So the T.E. maxed out for full years (6) would be MORE than the MLE max out (5).

Guys, if we are in "win now" mode the idea of using the T.E. to get James is huge! That allows the MLE to be used/split for V-Span + Rasul Butler type additions or used fully for someone else.

I think you could get the Raptors to do the S&T by giving them a 2nd rounder. Tell them that James will sign with Houston anyway, so at least with helping Houston, you get a 2nd rounder for the effort. PLUS the "good will" it does with James agent and the Raptors in case in the future the Raptors have to deal with him again, they scored some points with him.

T.E for Mike James! That is the way to go. MUCH more options available to us in that scenario!