1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron Hypo] Trading Roy O

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rodrick_98, Jul 8, 2007.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

interesting read by chip, so i bring a poll to gauge the feeling of the board... honestly if it were gerry the hun still playing GM i would consider it and trust him... but with fatty p? no chance.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogastros/archives/2007/07/would_you_trade.html

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

No because then our pitching would suck even more.

I wouldn't trust Purpura anyway.

3. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Purpura sucks, he pwned our farm system already with the Jennings trade and his aquisitions besides the 'no duh' Carlos Lee have all sucked.

If he trades Oswalt, I am dis-owning the Astros until he is fired, if he retires an Astro then I dis-own them for good or until new ownership.

Call me a fairweather fan all you want, I probably am... I cheer for the Astros all year win or lose but in no way shape or form am I even close to loving them as much as I love the Rockets, in no way shape or form am I addicted to them as I am obsest with my beloved Rockets.

I would take a bullet for the Rockets, I would let the Astros get hit and save myself. Although I do like them, I am in no way shape or form as fanatic about them as I am... just guess... DA ROCKETS!!

(By the way, I would never really take a bullet for the Rockets.. Unless one of my family remembers who was being shot at, happend to be wearing a Rockets Jersey or T-Shirt)

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Tavares was on the roster all year. Bucholtz started 19 games. Hirsh was called up in August and would have been in the rotation this year. How is that pawning (if that's the word you meant) the FARM system?

And don't forget about Loretta. He's been a pretty good addition too.

I'm not supporting Poop-ura. Just trying to limit the exaggerations.

5. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

lol at pawning and pwning.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

trading oswalt for a comparable position player doesn't make us better. the ONLY way i move him is if we're also trading berkman and lee and getting a back a pile of top-notch young talent.

oswalt is just about as consistent year in and year out as you can possibly be. he's in his prime on a pretty nice deal. he should be nearly untouchable.

7. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's just stupid what if talk from the "fan blog."

8. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Hey dam you, it's Purpura, everything he does is evil. If I say he has pwned our farm system then he has. Capeesh?

Loretta btw is what 40 years old? The guy is ancient and can't keep this batting up the next two years, and since we suck this year~ then who cares what his production is now since it doesn't matter. His spot might as well be given to a young prospect testing the major life.

9. Locke

Locke Member

Your "a" button might be broken.

10. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The only way I can see trading Oswalt would be to get a David Wright type 3B AND a young catcher who hits for average and also has at least a little pop.

We can have a young rotation next year (Albers, Backe, Wandy, Sampson, insert FA here or Patton).

The offense would be fixed. Jennings would be gone. Loretta would re-up with the Good Guys.

The pitching would be shaky, but it may turn out to be decent.

Only trade Oswalt if that trade cures ALL the rest of your lineup holes.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

There is probably no phenomenon more amusing on this board than when, irregardless of which of our 3 teams is the subject in question, people proclaim their unwavering loyalty and love for one of the others in an attempt to vilify the one currently having a bad season. It's an endless cycle.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The Jennings trade was r****ded. I have seen him pitch 2 or 3 times in person and every game its the same he gets behind every hitter and is gone by the 5th inning. I have yet to see him crack 85mph on his fastball. I do no like his delivery it looks like an arm injury waiting to happen. I am no doctor but it looks like it would be stressful on his shoulder.I am really hoping we find some team desperate for pitching down the stretch that they take him off our hands, because if they resign him the whole orginization needs to be fired.

13. Poloshirtbandit

"pwn" is Internet slang.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's dip**** speak.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hell no.

Keep your surefire badass SP who's young and signed below market value longterm.

Trade Lidge. Your young arms can replace Lidge if they can replace RoyO.

Randy was traded for that package when he was in the last year of a contract and likely not to be back with Seattle. Roy has no problems sticking around at LEAST through the end of this contract (and that's only if he retires early as he has said he might). So I'd expect more than the RAndy deal...which wouldn't happen. So hell no.

16. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You keep Oswalt so he'll convince his good friend currently pitching in San Diego to sign here when he's a free agent. :)

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Deal Jason Jennings. Get back a Jason Hirsh type and maybe another position player. Who cares if we dont get back full value.
    Deal Brad Lidge already, for christs sake. He's as ripe for trading as can be now. Maybe they're waiting for trade deadline time for a team in desperation, who might add in more in a trade than they'd usually do.
    Deal Ensberg. why's he still there?

And what makes Carlos Lee a fixture but not Roy O?

19. Major

Major Member

Loyalty issues aside, it depends on what you can get back. If you're only going to get one potential superstar prospect, then it's stupid to trade a superstar for a potential superstar. If you can get multiple ones - for example, the equivalent of a Ryan Braum and Yovani Gallardo (or the equivalent of two Hunter Pence level prospects), it might be worth considering. Not only do you save $15MM that you can then spend on another ace-level pitcher, but you get two more cheap pieces for the future to go along with Berkman/Lee/Pence.

Like any other trade, it all just depends on what you can get in return. Outside of loyalty issues, no player should be untradeable without considering what you get out of it.

20. Major

Major Member

If you were another team, would you give up Hirsh and another player for a pitcher who's topping out at 85mph and going to be a free agent in 3 months?

If Ensberg was on another team, what would you trade from the Astros organization for him?