1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Chron) Howard is sure to leave sweet legacy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheTruth, Nov 11, 2004.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

And this is the exact opposite of what Thorpe brought to the game. Haven said it best in another thread, this team hasn’t had a true power forward since Thorpe. I really think some of you don’t understand how good that guy was. Remember he used to routinely grab rebounds with one hand. He was so strong. That is the type of guy Yao needs on his side.

Believe me, I’m a huge Vernon fan also, but I don’t know if he was the second best player on the team. I will meet you half way and say it was a tie between him and Thorpe. Remember the game Thorpe had a triple double while scoring something like 41 points. Thorpe was also a really good passer, especially the outlet pass. That is a lost art today in basketball.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Workman:
    # Played in 542 consecutive games, the 13th longest streak in NBA history, between 1/4/86 and 4/19/92
    # Has played in the full 82 games nine times in his 14-season career

Top Rocket:
    Rockets' all-time franchise leader in field-goal percentage (.559) and ranks fifth in rebounds (5,010)

Compliments Hakeem:
    Also became the 54th player in NBA history to grab 7,000 rebounds in a career ... Thorpe and Olajuwon are the only active teammates to have reached that mark

All Star:
    Long been considered one of the league's best power forwards, was selected to play in the 1992 NBA All-Star Game, his first All-Star appearance ... At the time of the All-Star Game, was in the midst of a fine season, the sixth straight in which he played all 82 games ... Finished the year ranked second in the NBA with a franchise-record .592 field-goal percentage, also placing 12th in rebounding (10.5 rpg) and 36th in scoring (17.3 ppg)

So its not just my anti-Juwan rant, its hard to compare Otis Thorpe to any Power Forward EVER in Rockets history. He was the best, he brought us a championship. He was even better than Barkley (Rockets career).

Vernon was Ron Artest without the album.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know how anyone can NOT like tinman's posts :D.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Forgot to mention that he allowed Detroit to have the #2 pick in last years draft after he was traded....:D

But without a doubt he has been the best PF we have ever seen in a rockets uniform. Barkley cannot even get close to touching what he did for this team.

I was pretty down when they got rid of him

5. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I think you are a little taken by the Rocket nostalgia. OT was NOT *that* great. Saying that he was the *best PF EVER for the Rox* doesn't mean very much if we've never been that strong at that position in the first place. He was a good PF that was on a team lead by Hakeem. Lets not forget that. They did play as a team. We've all heard that phrase *the team is greater than the sum of it's parts.* So, as a team, they were able to win a title. But individually, OT wasn't as good as you make it seem. I did like some parts of his game (outlet passes from his huge mitts). :cool: But other parts of his game drove me crazy! :mad: Hit a fricken outside shot, please (Cato redux).

Today, do we have a PF that rebounded and played defense like OT? No. But those things "do not a power forward make (Yoda humor!). There are tons of PF's today that are way better than TO. Take that 94 team and place any number of power forwards that could both rebound and hit the mid-range shot, and we'd be better for it. And that *guy* would have been part of our championship team too.

So, OT DID NOT bring us a championship. Hakeem was the leader. Without OT, and a better PF, we'd still win the title (or at least probable). But without Hakeem, NO RING. So, OT was part of the team, and a player that could have been easily replaceable (see 1995). He WAS a part of our championship team. But lets not blow it out of proportion.

As far as OT being "better than Barkely (Rockets career)." Not sure what you are trying to say there...Barkey, athough at the end of career could hit from the outside, drive to the basket, create scoring opturnties for others by passing, rebound both offensively and defensively and and hit his FTs. OT, although had a high FG%, got most if points off of freebee rebounds. So, FG% doesn't tell the whole story. Hakeem gave us the leeway to get a lesser capable power foward. Just like this team gives us leeway for starting guys like Ward and MoT. If it wasn't for McGrady/Yao, we'd wouldn't have that luxury.

The goal of this team should be to improve those "weak" spots and not settle. Starting first with the point guard. Lets not settle. It's the difference between squeaking out single Finals title and be done with it. Or becoming a dynasty.

By the way, tinman. OT and MoT seem to be polar opposites. MoT = weak defense and rebouding but good shooter; gets most of his shots off outside shooting. OT = weak shooting (and FT) but good rebounder; gets most of his points off of misses from others.

#45 DavidS, Nov 13, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Stack24, we got rid of Thrope in order to get Drexler (Go Chucky Brown!) which got us our 2nd title.

As far as Barkley. He was a HoFer PF, at the end of his career. Add Barkley to our 94 team and I don't think you would've have been dissatisfied without the results.

1993-94 (imagine the possibilities)
    C Hakeem
    PF Barkley (not injured!)
    SG Drexler

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Trust me when i say i was happy to find out we got Drexler in the deal but at the same time i was sad to see OT go ...just like it was sad to see such a huge part of our team go this year but i am very happy with what we got....

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I just said that so MoT and OT rhyme.
    :D

9. tinman

Supporting Member

Lets also not forget that OT played as Dreams backup center most of the time.

Also, he is the best PF ever for the Rockets.
    Dude said hello to me at McDonalds. What PF today goes to McDonalds? Too low class for them. OT is a working class guy.

10. osa420

osa420 Contributing Member

thanks for posting that article.