1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Chron) Howard is sure to leave sweet legacy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheTruth, Nov 11, 2004.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's a player who goes comes off the bench and earns over $100million dollars +(wizzards) ($28-$38 million -Rockets/Orlando).

This isn't Bo Outlaw.

2. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

I think Juwan didn't sign an autograph for tinman.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

This is a true Otis Thorpe for you fans who don't know who he is and why I can't really compare him to [insert current power forward] on work ethic. This dude played on a bad KIDNEY!!

1992-1993:
    Finished the 1991-92 season having played in 542 consecutive games, the ninth-longest streak in NBA history but suffered a bruised right kidney in a preseason game against Detroit on 10/20, ending his streak ... Missed first nine games of the season ... Finished the year ranked among the league's top 10 in field-goal percentage (.558, fifth) for the fifth straight season ... Residual effects from the kidney injury may have caused Thorpe's production to drop, as he averaged 12.8 points and 8.2 rebounds, his lowest numbers since the 1985-86 season ... Recorded his third career triple-double on 12/17 against the San Antonio Spurs, totaling 12 points, 19 rebounds, and 10 assists ... Averaged 14.5 points in the postseason as the Rockets advanced to the Western Conference Semifinals before losing to the Seattle SuperSonics in seven games Scored a team-high 28 points in Houston's Game 3 victory at The Summit.

1993-1994:
    As the only Houston player to start all 82 games in 1993-94, did the dirty work on the Rockets' front line ... While teammate Hakeem Olajuwon was having an MVP season, ended up ranked third in the league in field-goal percentage (.561) and 15th in rebounding (10.6 rpg), setting a personal single-season high for rebounds in his 10th NBA season ... Also tallied 14.0 points per game, second on the club to Olajuwon ... On 1/20 at Denver, blistered the Nuggets for 24 points, 20 rebounds and three steals in a career-high 54 minutes ... On 3/17 he beat up the Golden State Warriors for 21 points, 21 rebounds, three assists and two steals ... Also became the 54th player in NBA history to grab 7,000 rebounds in a career ... Thorpe and Olajuwon are the only active teammates to have reached that mark ... After winning the Midwest Division championship, Houston advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time since 1986 ... The Rockets then took home the title after a seven-game victory over the New York Knicks ... Averaged 11.3 points and 9.9 rebounds in 23 postseason games.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Screw the money. He was on sorry ass teams when he played, but he did his part when he came in (no one else stepped up).

At least when he goes out there, he finishes off w/ 17/7/1-2 a game or even a double-double.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE (min. 274 made)
    Rank Player FGM-A PCT
    1. Otis Thorpe 3215-5747 .559
    2. Chucky Brown 405-729 .556
    3. Kelvin Cato 764-1455 .525
    4. Lewis Lloyd 1853-3531 .525
    5. Rodney McCray 1940-3720 .522
    6. Bill Willoughby 390-751 .519
    7. Hakeem Olajuwon 10,555-20,573 .513
    8. Othella Harrington 397-774 .513
    9. Carl Herrera 636-1242 .512
    10. Moses Malone 4047-7897 .512

6. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck/may01/mash05050401.asp

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is what bugs me about Justice. No one cares how you fit into the story, Rich. Just tell the story.

8. ty185

ty185 Member

I think tinman wanted to sign an autograph for Juwan but he refused... :D

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

tinman just has the unexplicable urge to answer every positive comment about Juwan Howard.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Tinman is right, comparing Howard to Thorpe is sheer stupidity. Thorpe was the second best player on that first championship team, stats wise and in reality. As Tinman stated, he was the perfect compliment. A hard nosed rebounder who knew his role. Couldn’t shoot, but he made every shot around the basket. Brought his lunch pale to work every game. They aren’t even in the same league.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Ok, comparably, Thorpe was the better man. But Howard has also been consistent, but been on sorry teams. They may not be in the same league, but they are close. You and Tinman need to give this guy a few years on this squad. He'll turn it around.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Why aren't they in the same league? As a Rocket, there may be no doubt that Thorpe was a much bigger contributer. But as players in general, Howard might be considered better. As far as work ethic is concerned, how do we really know how each player is?

Besides, the post tinman responded to said that Howard could contribute the most at this position since Thorpe. If anything, he's trying to compare Howard to Charles Barkley. :D

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

thats weird...I coulda sworn that OT played in the NBA....and J Howrd plays in the NBA....

sound like the same league to me...:p

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Mo Taylor played well, maybe he's the new OT
    MoT!

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I'm not gonna slam either on of our PFs...I thought they both did a decent job...especially considering who they were up against.

also...if you pay attention to the area in the paint under the basket, both Mo and SPoon were tryin their asses off going after boards..I saw Mo make more effort going after rebounds than I think I have ever seen from him....

and even your personal antichrist did a good job out there...they aint the best 4s in the league...but I feel they bring some good things to the team...and am happy to have them.

have you worn out your F5 button in threads like this?:confused:

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Vernon Maxwell was our 2nd best player. He could shoot from the outside, drive, run the fast-break, dunk, and play defense. His addition to the team was invaluable. I don't know how many buzzer beaters that guy helped us win! OT, was a tough-nosed power forward. But this type of player (Cato-like) would have been much easier to replace; a rebounding-defensive power forward that could NOT hit a 15 footer. Go Chucky Brown!

I agree with tinman that Hakeem and OT played well together. But I seemed to like Hakeem/Herrera better. Even Chuky Brown did pretty good. Too bad he popped his shoulder out of socket every other game! :mad: I mean, as long as we had Hakeem, I was willing to give up a little bit of OT's defense to gain a bit on the offensive side (C. Brown/Carl Herrera).

MoT can't rebound or defend. Not saying that Howard can do much better. But at least OT could rebound better than 10 per game. If MoT could rebound like OT, and shoot like himself, he'd be the perfect power forward for us (for a lot of teams!).

#36 DavidS, Nov 12, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Sweet, another member who pays homage to the great Vernon Maxwell!
    Vernon Maxwell was the 2pac Shakur of the Rockets.

Mo Taylor is playing with heart and scoring points which is all I ask of him to do. There will never be another Otis Thorpe. He was a true workman, he never complained, he played really hard every night.

That's what I love about that 1st Rockets Championship team. There was an attitude with them that they cared about each other and cared about winning.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Juwon is an ok contributer for a team which is aiming for playoffs. He is not somoene who can be depended upon to make significant contributions, however. I dont think one can look at his stats and praise him for his consistency. His stats are good because he has mostly played for bad teams, so he got his shots and rebounds, but they hardly translated into wins. So far, from what i have seen out of him playing for Rockets...

1) Most of the time he gets the ball, he seems completely lost out there. His demeaner when he gets the ball in his hands is that of a rookie, which is demoralizing, considering he has been in the league for years now, and supposedly has seen lots of defense out there. He does not have very high BB IQ.

2)He makes bad decision with the ball. I know the team is new and all, but this is not a rookie we are talking about.

3)He is terrrible around the basket. His finishes are weak. So far, most of the time he has gotten the ball around the basket, he has either fumbled it, or thrown up garbage. Basically, he is tenative.

4) His defense and rebounding has a lot to be desired. In his defense he seems a little undersized.

5) It seems he plays out of his role sometimes. He has forced some shots out there and they have not even come close to the rim.

6)He is a nice guy. Ok, I know most of us raving about him being a nice guy. Ironically, this is a negative attribute for the position he plays. I would rather have him being mean and agressive out there and have him playing with an attitude. Power forwards oughta play like thugs. We already have a nice guy in Yao out there. We cant expect our front court to be a pack of nuns out there if we are going to make some noise in playoffs.

Nothing personal against Juwon. I am just basing my opinions on what I have seen for years and this year. Rockets should trade him and get something more useful in return but honestly, IMHO, I dont think he has a lot of trade value. And if he does, and Rockets can get something worked out, then I for one will be happy.

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yep. That about sums him up. Mad Max was a son-of-a-b****! But I tell you what. I pay homage every time I see replays of "2pac" draining 5 threes in a row in the 94' WC semi's against Danny Ainge, AC Green, JK, and Dan Majerle. Suck it, Barkley! :mad: It took a bigger ass-ho*e (Vernon) than you (Charles) to not take your crap!

Gotta love it! :D

#39 DavidS, Nov 13, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Maxwell also hit the 3pointer against the Knicks in game 7 to seal the deal!

I remember the Knicks called time out and Mario and Kenny mobbed him at half court.

Yeah I remember that game, Maxwell started "CLUTCH CITY".