1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Howard all smiles while shedding reputation with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jan 8, 2014.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Howard has James Harden. Those guys you mentioned became the best for a reason. They had great talent, but in order to take it to the next level you need to have that killer instinct you can't settle and you have to be good at the right time, no excuses. There is a reason why that Michael Jordan flu game is so legendary. Most people wouldn't be able to get out of bed, Michael Jordan was winning a championship. I actually understand both points and I agree to some with you to an extent. Everyone acts like Kobe won it by himself but he has always had an elite big man. The Lakers with Kobe and without Shaq, Gasol or Bynum were barely playoff teams.

Dwight has Harden and with a better bench they should get to the finals. Rockets may also need a past first pg to walk up the ball saving some of Harden's energy and one that can get Dwight the ball AS SOON AS he gets position, as much as I like JLin he doesn't seem to be able to do that.

2. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Howard just doesn't strike me as a Winner

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

When Howard signed with the Rockets and reports came out that he will be spending more time with Dream (and McHale) on his post game, it sounded good. But, I wondered then where Carrol Dawson was and why he wasn't involved. That man can coach up big men, post moves and, especially, the jump hook. So, I was excited to hear he was working with Howard now and makes sense why Dwight played so much better the last few weeks. It's just not consistent yet, but that's what Dawson is saying.... it needs to be repeated and continued to be worked on consistently and it will become second nature. Right now, less now than at the beginning of the season, you could tell Dwight was thinking too much.

It will click between now and the playoffs and I can't wait to see this Rockets team take off when it does

1 person likes this.
  4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You can also apply this to LBJ. Miami wins he gets ALL the credit. Miami loses, it's "poor Lebron, wish he had more help". In reality he has an elite SG in Wade, and superstar in Bosh. He has arguably the best shooter in NBA history in Allen, along with Battier doing the dirty work.

Yet people hold this "elite bigman" argument against Kobe like he's the only player who won with elite talent. I guess

Anyway, I have no problem with Howard this year. He's been great.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

not a good sign when you have to explain all the time you really want to win & your teammates want to defend you who has to do that ? dwight howard.

Show it on the court by setting more quality screens not the half A ones, boxing out on rebounds every play, running out there to run p&r with harden, lin, parsons giving the pick 100% even if you’re not getting any touches if that what’s it takes for the team to win. Don’t wait until they have to call you out there to do it do it because you want to win like you say & you know a solid pick will help the team do that. I have no problem with the smiles, but action speaks louder than words on the court.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree about Lebron, I was just using Kobe as one example. However I will say it's a little bit less for Lebron because at least they call them the big three and he has been getting flack for joining a superteam.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

haha... not these are not the Hunger games and I don't like Kirby's persona either.

but he is a champion for sure and a great player. I just think he will have a richer legacy than Howard once both are retired.

8. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

None whatsoever. Howard hits his FT's in practice at seemingly an 80-85% clip. FT's are all mental, your body can be trained for repetitiveness, muscle memory doesn't take but 1000 or so free throws. I was a southpaw until I severed my tendons at 8, and shot above 90% throughout middle and high school with my right.

He even says it's all mental for him.

9. jbasket

jbasket Member

You talking about the guy that lead his team to the '09 finals singlehandly?

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

As a fair Hakeem fan I will point out, Akeem was not well liked before he demanded a trade back in 92. After that he began to perfect the Dream Shake and dedicated himself to his religion and become a much more humble and mature person.

Dwight is entering that stage of his life too, without the Dream Shake of course and more children than Dream. Maybe he can match the back to back championships? Crossing my fingers.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Kobe haters? For some reason some guy posted this...

Like if he isn't better than Kobe and MJ in their prime, or doesn't win 5 rings, then he sucks or something. Save the drama. The article is about his demeanor, and discusses that his team mates here think he has the drive to win, despite his affable mannerisms. It's about him doing better here because he feels better here. It's not about "See, Dwight is the man and Kobe sucks." If you thought it was about that, your Kobe nerve is a little sensitive. Do you think if he was happy being an egotistical self deserving a-hole he'd win more? Maybe, maybe no, but give me Hakeem and his two rings over Kobe and his any day of the week.

Good read, and hopefully it will translate to him flourishing here.

12. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I was wondering the same thing about his free throws. I've been impressed with his lefty these past two years; I don't care what Barkley says! Makes sense now.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He can love another coach too.

14. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

i realize being happy is not everyone's cup of tea, a lot of people are happy being unhappy/critical/pessimistic/"real". Good for them.

I like being around positive people and that is why I was a Shaq fan (after Hakeem showed him how much learning he had to do). His enthusiasm was contagious even though he came across as goofy. Howard seems to have the same kind of attitude.

I never wanted Howard last year and was hesitiant when we landed him this year. Now i am glad that he is playing ball with the rox and repping H-Town. Welcome to Houston Dwight.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Except for the fact that throughout his career, the guy has been nothing BUT a winner. Has he won an NBA Championship? Not yet. But he's gotten there, and his Orlando teams (which he SINGLE-HANDEDLY LEAD) were ALWAYS in the mix in the Eastern Conference. Perception is an amazing thing, and most fans (and most national media members) fall victim to it far too often.

16. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Its fair to say that Howard is having a good time in Houston, and is liking the environment. Media isnt on his a$$, he gets to be himself, and the Rockets are pretty decent if he isnt on his best game, and the Rockets are down right scary if he is playing dominant bball. Dwight has shed so much of the bad light the LA media pushed on him, and Im glad for Dwight. Seems like things are going well. Time will tell, but winning sometimes cures a lot of ills. The Rockets need to get on a win streak of some sort soon though!!!

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keep in mind that the WC is a lot harder than Eastern Conference.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't look too happy last game...

19. Karolik

Karolik Member

exactly, this is an obvious PR move.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

This is a great post! Perceptions are mostly created by media heads looking for controversy. Fans buy into what guys are perceived to be not knowing none of the is probably true. Its dangerous.