1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]How Alston's floaters start dropping

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by doublebogey, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lots more jump hooks.

DD

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe that was after JVG was fired

I think Tom and Jeff were great for Yao's career....but not letting CD help a bit when he had coached so many other great bigs was a bit much, don't you think?

OK, as one of the biggest Anti-JVG guy around here, I do think that the Rockets are where they are in part because of what JVG instilled in the team, the professionalism, the attention to detail...all of it.

So, the Rockets needed JVG to teach them that in order for Adelman to come in and take them to the next level.

DD

3. Rockets9495

Rockets9495 Contributing Member

It would be really nice if that were true. However, he works on them just as hard now as he did in the passed. He is just making them now.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

it was all of 3 days after, you really think as soon as JVG left the building this was set up because evil Jeff was finally gone?

As clutch posted - what was wrong with Yao that needed fixing again?

5. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Say what you want about Adelman, but he has given EVERYONE on the roster a fair chance. This is something JVG has never done - not even in his scariest nightmares would he think about doing something like this - unless the team was made up of washed up ex-Knicks.

6. Astockmarketgod

must suck for RA... finally gets a quality big man... only to have him go down....

well atleast he has lots of experience with a average big man...

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Is is a prasie to RA or a jab at JVG. Maybe both. :D

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think Jeff was a great stars coach and he did wonders for Yao Ming's game because he understood there was no better post-up threat in the NBA today (as he reiterated in that NY Times article). Where I think you see the disparity between his style and Adelman's is in the development of all our role players' games, notably their offense.

As this year has progressed, I am seeing players like Battier and Alston and even Hayes begin to piece back together elements of their game I had not seen last year. Battier is looking for his shot now, actually dribbling the ball, and I am reminded once again of why I was so confused when he came over and was nothing but a spot shooter. "But I thought Battier had a post up game in Memphis and at Duke?!" I remarked when I first saw Shane do nothing but shoot the corner three under JVG. And then when he would try to make something happen on the floor, it would only end in tears and I could picture in my head Battier's shattered confidence from a practice session in which Jeff would go on tirades, "You're NOTHING. You're a piece of s**t, the scum of the earth, Shane! Here's all I want you to do, it's not hard to follow, don't think, don't EVER think, just do what I tell you, stand RIGHT HERE (points to the corner spot outside the 3pt line) and wait till you're open, then MAKE YOUR ******* SHOTS. JUST PRACTICE MAKING THAT SHOT TILL YOU CAN DO IT YOU HEAR ME?!"

So yeah that was all made up in my mind, but you get the idea: Jeff just had trouble trusting his players to come to their own ideas about how to run his system, and as a result we had the most stagnant offense of any team in the playoffs, one whose plays the Jazz could call out before they even happened in our playoff games. So if you see Rafer start to have more confidence in his floater, or Shane in his cross-over, or Chuckwagon in his hook, maybe it's because they finally have a coach who is asking them to be balanced players instead of one-dimensional drones.

Because of his ability to guide a team with discipline, JVG is a great coach to bring a team from mediocrity to the cusp of championship contention. I would love to see him take a shot at a big time college but I think he wouldn't want that kind of lifestyle. But as far as the Rockets are concerned, I couldn't be happier that our coach is Adelman and our GM Morey. This administration will be in place as long as it wants to be, even after the TMac/Yao era comes to its bittersweet end some time in the next decade.

9. skip to my lou

you do know skip was already in the nba before and1 and that footage of him in the first tape was when he was 17

10. bronx43

bronx43 Member

It's hard to tell if that stretch was simply a hot streak or actually an improvement that disappeared after his first injury. There really isn't any evidence to suggest that Yao has gotten worse after every injury.