1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Houston-based Regional Sports Network News

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Jul 21, 2004.

1. today

today Contributing Member

I just sent Cox an email to ask them if they have plans to carry the channel. I'll post if I get a response from them.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Folks, quit asking how much it will cost and where will it be aired. We don't even know if the network is final much less the details about it. The Rockets aren't about to release details about programming while it is still being litigated.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Note: From the Rockets point of view, the deal is done. The litigation is in regards to the Astros being able to join them.

I don't think the deal becomes dead if the Astros are forced to play at Fox for another 3 years (although they won't ever do that... the only question is whether or not Fox should be compensated).

Thus, from a Rockets standpoint, its a pretty done deal... they can't continue to lose $$$ by playing for free on Channel 51... this will be a pretty hot commodity team, and you have to admit it would be bad business to NOT have a lucrative television deal, even if the fans are against it.

4. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Times and greed change..

5. today

today Contributing Member

Here's what Cox emailed me back with, not that much help, but I thought I'd post it anyways, along with this guy's contact info:

6. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Corpus Christi is on the map for cable plans
    Q: I have been trying to keep up with the Astros/Rockets and FSN argument about the new start-up TV network. Here is my question that I would love to get answered by (Astros owner) Drayton McLane, if at all possible. ... I live in Corpus Christi, and we catch a lot of the games on FSN, but that is the only place to see them. We can't buy a baseball package through digital cable because you only get out-of-market teams. So my question is when the Astros start up this new network, will we here in Corpus still be able to get the games?
    Mike in Houston

A: The Astros and Rockets are negotiating with cable providers for carriage of their regional network, which is scheduled to begin operations in the fall of 2005. I'm sure they view Corpus as an important market and will do everything they can to get the network carried on cable in your area before the spring of 2006. Of course, that means your cable bill may go up slightly, since they won't be giving the service away for free. And, since cable companies are sensitive about raising rates these days, the negotiations could be complex.
    The Minnesota Twins tried to launch their own network this year, but threw in the towel because they couldn't get cable carriage and signed a new deal with Fox Sports Net. FSN is going to appeal the order that allowed the Rockets and Astros to go forward with the network, so who knows what could happen.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2655505

7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Double Note: When a case is in trial, nobody involved makes meaningful public statements about it, much less divulges programming details.

Read the post by Ron413.

Maybe its "virtually" a done deal...but it ain't done. And until it is, they ain't gonna be releasing details that the opposite side could use as "evidence" against them in court.

8. Remix

Remix Member

So bascialy, if you dont have cable the only chances of seeing a Rockets ame on T.V will be through the occasional ABC games which is like 1-2 times a year. Wow that really sucks.