1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Hill winning battle to overcome off-court problems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by the_hustler, Mar 26, 2011.

1. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Didnt know he was going through some family issues

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7492061.html

2. Spankie

Spankie Member

that read really touched me :\ Especially the part where 'his relationship with his father often rocky'
    Kinda feel sympathetic for the dude and those harsh personal matters. But he turned out fairly successful in the nba at the moment considering he played ball in high school compared to the other players who played when they were 3.

Hope you improve lots Jhill!

1 person likes this.
  3. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

This is news to me as well. It must be tough when those closest to you become burdensome.

But it's good to hear he's starting to cope with his problems. It shows both on and off the court.

4. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

This is news to me. Insightful article. It's encouraging to know that he's trying to put stuff behind him and focus more on basketball; the recent results speak for themselves. It'll be tough for him to get minutes with P-Pat's emergence, but perhaps behind Chunk Hayes he can get 15 or so.

5. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Gotta be tough on him, hard to do any job with family troubles on your mind.

I'm jealous of those with a strong family support system. I remember that yearning every time I look at my two boys in hopes that I'll always provide better for them.

6. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Good to see he's lifted some of the burden off of his shoulders. You can definitely see the results of it on the court lately. He's played extremely well recently.

I hope he'll start seeing some consistent playing time. I think that's always added to the struggle with him. Not only has he had to get through these tough off-the-court problems... but he basically went into every game wondering if he'll even sniff the court.

The kid definitely has some talent. Maybe now everything will start coming together for him.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I can "kinda" relate. Mostly to the lack of focus that Hill can demonstrate :eek:

When you move from caregiver to caregiver, you either can get more restless and rambunctious from being so unsettled, or you get more subdued and restrained in nature because you dont want to disturb anything or bite the hand that feeds. Need to be everyone's "good little boy" so they can take you in.

Nice to see he's starting to work through his situation

8. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

Its good that the work is starting to show a bit. I hope he can keep it up and become a good player down the line.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Wow, didn't realize Hill had to jump over those obstacles to get where he is today. I root for the guy, he always seems cool and I wish he'd get more mins but I understand why Scola-Patterson-Hayes are getting more mins than him.

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It's just a good reminder that people go through a lot more than you imagine and that players are human.

11. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

this just blew my effin mind, man.

12. Rockets_4_life

The kid is growing and I could not be any happier for the guy. I knew his recent improvement wasn't just a fluke, his starting to learn to separate the game from his personal life.

His ability to overcome such adversity's, shows me that he has a fighter's mentality, which is something I love to see in a young big man. The best of luck J-Hill, I'll be rooting for yah..

13. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Good luck to him, that is a heavy burden to carry.

14. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

Atleast Hill has Shawn Respert in his corner. You will not meet a better person, I am sure he is an excellent mentor to these young men. Shawn Respert is a quality individual who has battled his own off the court issues in the past. We are talking about a person that had stomach cancer and did not tell his own family because he did not them to worry about him. Stay strong Jordan Hill.

1 person likes this.
  15. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

hopefully its not like the family on the fighter. I wanted to punch all of his sisters out.

16. MONON

MONON Member

Hopefuly he'll realise that he has to take care of himself 1st, before he can really take care of others. He has 2 choices: 1. take care of himself today and care for others tomorrow or 2. take care of others today and not be able to care for anyone tomorrow.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, especially when he doesn't have a mom to help him say "no" to others.

damn.

Shows some character in Jordan that apparently none of us knew this (or the media), and he's been on two teams now.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Good story. I read this kid totally wrong when we first traded for him. Much of the film I saw of him with the Knicks looked like he didn't care. Now I come to find out his problem is he cared too much. It always good to find out your wrong in a positive way about one of your own. I was way wrong and have been pleasantly surprised all along the way. Mark my words Hill will have a breakout season next year. Hill will only get better. He is playing better every time I see him. And he has a good friend in Chase to support him. The Rockets got a keeper. Hill is more valuable with his potential than he will be as trade bait.

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I hope everything is good with Hill. He's such a nice and humble person. I love his personality. He always looks happy on the court and always willing to listen and learn.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I always like to root for the underdog. Go Hill, show them what you are made of.