1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Guard happy he made amends with Van Gundy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r-fan-since-81, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Rockets deal for Snyder
    Guard happy he made amends with Van Gundy

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Long before his little chat with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy on Friday, before he considered uniform numbers or imagined himself taking passes from Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, Kirk Snyder felt Van Gundy's full-blast ire.

Snyder had scored that night on one of the more impressive moves of his rookie season as a member of the Utah Jazz, then taunted the Rockets' bench.

Van Gundy was irate, drawing a technical foul. But after the game, Snyder found Van Gundy in a Delta Center hallway, apologized and told Van Gundy that he knew he had gone too far, a display of contrition he thought on Friday just might prove to be one of the best moves of his career.

"That was a very, very emotional game," Snyder said. "It was one of the few times I got the opportunity to play. I was all bottled up and in an emotional state. I had the opportunity to see coach Van Gundy and let him know I knew it wasn't appropriate. I'm so glad I did.

"I'm lucky I did the right thing then, because I'm a Houston Rocket now."

The Rockets moved to fill a void in the backcourt on Friday with a deal to acquire Snyder, a 6-6 shooting guard, from the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

The Rockets sent cash and future draft considerations — likely the right to switch second-round draft positions — to the Hornets to acquire Snyder. With the signing of Peja Stojakovic moving Desmond Mason to the Hornets' backcourt, the Hornets moved Snyder to create cap space for free-agent forward Rasual Butler.

Snyder, 23, is in the last season of his rookie contract, though the Rockets have until Oct. 31 to pick up their option to extend his contract to a fourth season. They used the bulk of the $1.67 trade exception acquired when they sent Derek Anderson to Miami to make the deal.

Drafted by Jazz
    Snyder, the 16th pick of the 2004 NBA draft by the Jazz, played 68 games in each of his two NBA seasons, moving into the starting lineup with the Hornets last season. The 225-pound Snyder, who played at the University of Nevada, averaged eight points on 45.3-percent shooting, playing 19.3 minutes per game last season. He averaged 9.7 points per game in his 45 games as a starter.

"It's a great opportunity for this guy," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "He doesn't have a whole lot of competition.

"He was coming along real well this year. He shot 45 percent from the field, 36 from the 3 (point line). That's very attractive to us with the type of team we have, with people that get double-teamed all the time. One of the things I really liked is he puts it on the floor and gets to the line. (Defensively), he's strong, moves his feet well and he's tenacious."

Other than Tracy McGrady, who has played almost entirely at forward for the Rockets, the Rockets' only other shooting guards are Luther Head and Bob Sura.

Sura has not played since the 2004-05 season. Dawson said Snyder "fills a big hole" but that he is looking to make other backcourt additions.

Having been traded twice in a little more than two years, Snyder said he was relieved to hear from Dawson and Van Gundy that he figured so greatly in the Rockets' plans.

Looking for a home
    "Last year was really my first year playing and then starting a lot of games," Snyder said. "It was an opportunity to play and figure out who you are as a basketball player. When you compete at this high level, you just grow."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Interesting that Snyder appologized to JVG after that game. Maybe JVG doesn't think he's such a knucklehead afterall. It is not uncommon for players to get emotional during games so that appology went a long way ...apparently.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

Everything else in the article is filler.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this doesn't sound like tmac is starting at the 2. sound smore like:

yao-deke
    shane-jho-hayes
    tmac-novak-bowen
    snyder-head-sura
    rafer

5. bobmc

bobmc Member

Yes, its good to know that Kirk will not start out in JVG's doghouse with one strike already against him. Let's hope he stays out of it. Its about time the Rockets brought more 'attitude' to this team. This was what made their championship teams so tough with Mad Max, Sam the Man, Super Mario and Horry. Now if they can only find a PF in the mode of my favorite, Larry 'Mr. Mean' Smith we will be all set.

6. jdrock

jdrock Member

This doesn't seem like a such bad lineup.. I guess we have to see what Snyder is capable of. If the younger guys develop, we could be looking at a pretty strong team. I say go for Marcus Banks and JL3.. then we'll have some decent depth.

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

The kid is smarter than first thought. It took a lot longer than 23 for me to realize you don't burn bridges behind you or in this case in front of you. He may be a bit of hot head but he is also wise beyond his years. That's not a bad combination. I agree you need a player like this on your team. I thought MadMax's attitude was a big time reason for that first championship.

I like him but I don't want to crown him our starter just yet. I get the impression that Luther may still be on the trading block. But if he isn't he should be given every opportunity to start. And Snyder should have to significantly beat him out. I think the competition could make both of them better. I alos love how we are changing from an old broken down poor shooting team. Too a young strong legged athletic team. Amazing what 1 trade can do. And we have more to look forward to.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Yup, with a healthy TMac and a new improved Yao, we can compete with anybody in the playoffs.

If Snyder can keep shooting 46% FG, improve on his ppg and play good D then he is already our best option at SG. Hopefully as a starter, he can have a breakout year.

JL3 is a no-brainer. Bring in V-Span to get him some NBA time.

I say our biggest need now is a PF/C that can matchup with the Suns or other small/quick teams. Stro filled that role last year. Deke can't backup against smaller teams.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I bet you are right. I assume we will add either VSpan or Banks, and add JL3, and be done. Under that scenerio, the $4.2 million trade exception (from the Moochie to NO deal) would be left in place for a mid-season deal, to plug a hole that develops. With the luxury tax increasing to $65 million, we would have room use the TE, and still not go over that amount. Maybe a February trade deadline deal; we have until February 14th before it expires.

10. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

Actually, Yao did well in the second match against Suns. Hopefully, Battier can cover Diaw on the perimeter. Yao never seemed to have too much trouble against Amare.

11. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

I suspect it was Sloan who asked Snyder to appologize to JVG and Snyder at that time reluctantly complied. Either way, it's a good move for Snyder.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Barkley was an a$$hole early in his career too, so was Maxwell and so many other young players in all sports.

Players mature at different times, and Synder will know that it is Tmac and Yao who control the team, and all he has to do is perform.

Sometimes it is about the right fit, and players find their roles....this could be a GREAT deal for the Rockets, at least it is low risk.

DD

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.