1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Griffin expects 2-game suspension

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ron413, Oct 16, 2003.

1. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2160091

Oct. 15, 2003, 9:33PM

Griffin expects 2-game suspension from Rockets
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Rockets forward Eddie Griffin expects to receive a two-game suspension without pay today for skipping the team's preseason game in Sacramento.

Griffin said he learned of the punishment after a short meeting with coach Jeff Van Gundy on Wednesday.

Griffin said he stayed in Houston rather than fly with the team to Sacramento on Monday or join the team Tuesday to attend to "personal, family problems."

A two-game suspension would cost Griffin $51,394.

"I just had some problems I had to take care of," Griffin said.

"Things are fine now. I'm going to be back with the team. I'm going to be out for two games, but I understand, because that's the best for the team because I didn't show up.

"I had some stuff to take care of. I'm fine with it. I should have let him (Van Gundy) know. I didn't let him know. That's what you've got to do."

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said he could not comment until he and Van Gundy meet to discuss Griffin today.

After missing Monday's flight, Griffin did not speak directly with Rockets officials until Wednesday. Griffin would not elaborate about the problems. He will still be permitted to practice, beginning with this morning's shootaround.

Griffin similarly missed a game last season for personal reasons but did contact the team that evening and was not suspended. He was charged with mar1juana possession last April. A hearing is scheduled for later this month.

The Rockets have until the end of the month to exercise their option to extend Griffin's contract to a fourth season.

"I still want to be here, I definitely want to be here," Griffin said.

The Rockets, however, might be bringing in insurance. Anthony "Pig" Miller, a 6-9, 278-pound power forward, worked out for Rockets coaches on Tuesday, markedly slimmer than in his previous stint with the Rockets and declaring his right hamstring injury to be healed.

"I'm feeling pretty good," said Miller, who the Rockets contacted on Tuesday. "I've been working out every day, playing two-on-two and three-on-three full court with Devin (Grey), Mark Bryant and Chris Morris. I always liked Houston. I have a good relationship with the players and the people in Houston."

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

DUH! finally some sense in that kid!

then show some heart and prove us why you were worth three first round picks!!!!!!:mad:

3. oscuro

oscuro Member

i wonder if he will be back next year:rolleyes:

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Well if John Amaechi is worth two, Eddie has to be worth atleast three.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Classic.

7. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

those stupid rocket scouts/CD!!!!! :mad:

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't know what to think about this matter. But I sure as hell don't like it.

Go rockets!! :)

9. lalala902102001

Do we really want a player nicknamed "pig" on the team? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

**** Eddie Griffin.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

YES Pig miller, how many ties have we signed that guy??? about 4 times already

12. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Uh, you do know he's played for us before, right?

I seem to recall him as being a hustler, so I don't care what he's called.

13. sweetie

sweetie Member

Of course Eddie wants to be here. He sees how stupid CD is giving Mo a 49 million contract, Cato a 49 million one because of one preseason game,and Moochie. Every player in the league would die to play for the Rockets because if you just can walk and chew gum at the time and kiss enough ass in the media you will win 49 million dollars.

14. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

And that matters because???

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: indeed

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Those are the kinds of comments that will keep your write-ups from being linked to the Rocket's official website. ;)

16. SLA

SLA Member

Hmmm...walk and chew gum? I can do that! NBA...hehe I wish.

I don't think Anthony Miller is that great...who did he play for last season?

17. Rocketsfan03

Rocketsfan03 Member

Can someone answer me this...is griffin suspended for the remaining pre-season games or does it count for only the season?

18. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

though he took 2 days off....He still has no touch around the basket:rolleyes:

This guy is outta here as soon as possible....To pull a stunt like this after last year and the fact that he is not what he appeared to be as a 6th pick.....my money says he is gone as soon as we are able to move him for something...

We will not excercise unless it is to secure and move him for another Team

19. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

20. Thanos

Thanos Member

I've had it.

So much for our resident soap opera fans that bashed me and others for not being sensitive with Eddie's needs as a human being.

His quotes definetely doesn't sound like he is in a lot of suffering to me.

Just ship his underachieving a$$ outta town while he still has SOME value around the league.

Maybe that "troubled souls" trade proposal can actually work. Hell, I would have Ethan Thomas on this team instead of Eddie Griffin right now!