1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Gene Peterson, Jim Foley to Retire After 07-08 Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by X-PAC, Jun 25, 2007.

1. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Wow, I can't imagine this team not calling a Rocket game on the radio. :(

Chron.com
    Gene Peterson and Jim Foley, who have provided the radio soundtrack of Rockets basketball for more than three decades, will work a 33rd and final season together before retiring at the end of the 2007-08 NBA campaign.

Peterson, the team's play-by-play announcer since 1975, and Foley, a Rockets employee for 35 years and the analyst on home games since 1975 and for all games since 1987, each agreed to one-year contract extensions, ensuring one last season for one of professional sports' longest-tenured broadcast teams.

"We're excited about doing another year together," Peterson, 66, said. "And I'm hoping for one more championship. My sons (Todd and Paul) have my championship rings (from 1994-95), and my daughter (Jennifer) needs one."

Foley said he and Peterson discussed the possibility of retirement during the just-completed NBA season and decided independently to call it quits after working one more year together.

"I don't want to go from the Rockets to the grave," said Foley, 68. "I just think it's time. It's time to move along."

Rockets CEO Tad Brown said Peterson and Foley "have meant so much to the organization, and to have them back for another season is fantastic. We look forward to working with them for this last season and chasing a title."

Their return, said Rockets television play-by-play announcer Bill Worrell, gives fans and listeners one last chance to appreciate two men who have been the enduring constant of the NBA in Houston.

"These two guys have given their lives to the Houston Rockets organization," Worrell said. "Coaches and general managers come and go, but Gene and Jim have been the one constant this organization has had in terms of reaching the fans, and that has been important. They've been the one thing that people could count on year in and year out."

Foley came to Houston in 1972 after three years as public relations director for the Milwaukee Bucks and served as the Rockets' PR director for 15 years before becoming a full-time broadcaster in 1987.

Peterson, who has been in broadcasting for 44 years, came to Houston as sports director of KPRC (950 AM) and took the Rockets' play-by-play job in 1975.

Each has been part of the NBA for more than half of its 61 years. Peterson has missed only 25 broadcasts out of 2,592 regular-season games, and Foley in April 2006 worked his 3,000th game as an NBA team employee.

Both are hopeful about the Rockets' chances for the 2007-08 season.

"(A championship) isn't necessary to make it special, but it would make it extra special if we got into the playoffs and did some damage," Peterson said.

Added Foley: "With Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, I loved the team we had last season, and they should be good again if they can get some help in the offseason. And I think the Rockets made a great (coaching) choice in Rick Adelman. He certainly has the qualifications. His teams win, and they score points."

david.barron@chron.com

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Damn. I always wondered when it would come, but didn't want to hear it...

To be completely honest, my heart sank when I saw the thread :(

Nothing. NOTHING beats their radio calls. They always give me chills.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I hope they give the job to Ackerman. He's more than paid his dues with the Comets and fill-in work for Peterson.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is horrible news. I expected the Rockets to possibly win a championship not next year but within the next 5 seasons. When Clutchcity 3 comes out we won't have their commentary?! Horrible.

5. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

OH NO.....this is sad news

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets will just have to speed up the process.

;)

7. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

:( This really bums me out man.

8. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Big news, wow.

Will Jim still follow Gene around, though? To the grocery store, perhaps - "Frozen fish sticks, weak side, looking, looking, travel no call, shoots to the cart from 17 GOOD AND HE'S FOULED!" "Gene, that was the fourth consecutive Monday afternoon trip to the freezer which resulted in a successful fish stick purchase for the Rocket's former broadcast team..." (weird silence) "and the free throw is good."

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gene Peterson is so good, you don't have to understand english, just listen to the tone of his voice and you know what happens.

10. Stevie Wonder

Stevie Wonder Member

Yep. Bingo, 2 and a foul!.....man I'm gonna miss it.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I used to listen to them with a little transistor radio under my pillow at night as a kid. They've been a part of my life since I started listening to the Rockets. So sad, but understandable.

Greatest quote ever (from the Chron story comments section): How bittersweet it is. Genius!!!

12. Fiah

Fiah Member

This is sad :(

13. The Hungarian Rocket

My favourite comment is "How sweet it is!". I hope we'll hear it many times this season.

(I've got a League Audio Pass and I listened to Gene & Jim online at least 70 times last season)

14. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Man, this is terrible news. True legends.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

They could make any game seem exciting. I hope there is a basketball announcer wing of the hall of fame for Gene to go into. I can't imagine Rockets basketball without them. :(

16. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

They are the only thing about the Rockets that have remained constant throughout the years. I suppose its only fitting the two of them retire together.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

they are basketball hall of fame worthy.

the are kam's childhood hall of fame worthy.

18. francisfan4l1f3

Man that blows!! BRING BACK CALVIN??!!??

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

This sucks...but was bound to happen at some point. But man am I going to miss those classic calls, best in the business no doubt.

"How Sweet It Is."